Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 11:29 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
There was also a similar show called "One Step Beyond".
I loved this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 05:42 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Yes! Thank you, Aliasfinn.

I thought I'd probably provided too little information to go on, but it was all I remembered.

But it sufficed after all.

And looking at it again after >55 years, that spinning thing isn't actually a fan, is it?
Does anyone know what it's supposed to be?
Being that it is on top of what appears to be a oscilloscope, my guess it's supposed to be represent a type of radar. A typical early Sci-fi prop.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:50 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
LOL, reminds me of when my sister and I were little, we weren't allowed to watch those kinds of shows but our parents would tell us about them - specifically, one episode where a portal opened in a wall in a little girl's bedroom, and she disappeared into it, and her dad had to rescue her before the portal closed. Gave us nightmares for YEARS! Way to go, Mom & Dad!
Good Lord - my sister had screaming nightmares for years from that very episode.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:28 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
The Outer Limits?
I had nightmares after watching it and was made to sit in the kitchen where I couldn’t watch it, but could hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY6y0zRCiOY

Outer Limits used to spook me BAD! I was a kid, and I always thought Outer Limits was way scarier than Twighlight Zone.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:56 AM

8,756 posts, read 5,050,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
"Dark Shadows?"
That was a very popular soap.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:21 PM

814 posts, read 581,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I only remember all the early TZ episodes and if I see them on TV now, every word and image comes back to me.

I do remember that "Alfred Hitchcock" was on after TZ, and it was vaguely interesting but even then, I knew that it was limited to murder and trickery and such, and no speculation about meaning and reality and WW2 issues and so forth. I found it far less interesting than TZ. Rod Serling was a treasure.
I agree with your assessment of Alfred Hitchcock but there was one episode that scared my nine-year old self to pieces. It was called "The Monkey's Paw (Claw?)". I never did see the end because when the paw wiggled in the gypsy-woman's hand, I skedaddled off to bed. Under the covers.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:24 PM

814 posts, read 581,714 times
To the OP, my guess is you're thinking of The Outer Limits. The intro was so dramatic. Whenever my mother heard it she made us change the channel. We started turning it down so she would hear but got busted and I never got to watch it; probably a good thing, lol.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:04 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times
Mystery Science Theatre 3000? LOL

Old 10-02-2020, 01:52 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I had to go to bed at "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" time. Made me a lifelong devotee of suspense.

My very favorite was "Thriller" hosted by Boris Karloff. It was the only night of the week that I was home alone and by the time it was over I'd usually be frozen to the davenport with the blanket up to my ears waiting for the 'rents to get home.

Oh, scare me. Please, please scare me. What is that?

Stephen King's theory is that it makes our real lives feel all the more safe in comparison.

I remember my pre-teens yelling down from upstairs, "Mom! Come up here and scare us. We can't get scared by ourselves."

Old 10-02-2020, 02:18 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I have vague memories of a b&w grownup-oriented sci-fi TV show (not the Twilight Zone).

It aired around the early-to-mid-1960s, but perhaps was produced prior to that.
If I remember correctly, the stories mostly took place on earth, not in outer space.

As the end-credits music played, what was on the screen was a science-lab ventilation fan turning.

Can't recall much more than that, do these few clues ring a bell with anyone?

It would be fun to find the shows, but if nothing else I'd like get a title, so I could hunt for that theme music.
Creature Features
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement