Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 06:35 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,534,308 times

Advertisements

You said small RV. The tiny bathroom/shower would soon get old. Personally I would buy a condo in a busy happening place with lots of things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 07:01 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I never thought this day would come so quickly, but after four years my wife and I are getting restless and considering another move. We live in a small (250 home) 55+ retirement community and the pandemic has made us realize what a limited and soul-sucking place this is. We’re considering:

1) Keep the house and travel in a small RV six months or more a year (can’t park RVs at home - HOA rule),
2) Sell the house and move to small, 100% lock-and-leave condo, and do the RV + travel thing,
3) Sell everything and hit the road as full-time travelers with no home base.

We are both in our 60s, healthy, and our finances are stable. What would you do? Are we being too cavalier?

I can't answer your question unless you explain what you mean by "what a limited and soul-sucking place this is." Not that I have any trouble imagining a 55+ like that, I'd just like to know the specifics.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If you're in your sixties, my opinion is that you locked yourselves down way too early - I would totally ditch that boring, cookie-cutter "lifestyle" you've settled for (pre-grave warming activity) and HIT THE ROAD!!!!!!!!
I can't fault your logic. You can add a few more exclamation marks for me. I'm sitting here in Scottsdale, more than ready to hit the road.

I'm guessing the wife thought she would make lots of friends in the 55+ and there would always be activities going on, parties and whatnot.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
You said small RV. The tiny bathroom/shower would soon get old. Personally I would buy a condo in a busy happening place with lots of things to do.
I've always done sponge baths. Never actually used my camper van's shower. There's another one outside for those idyllic beach days when you want to wash the sand off. Never used that, either.

RV campgrounds usually have showers. Whether or not one wants to risk that during the pandemic is another matter. The shower rooms may not even be open.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:20 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
I take 3 over soul-sucking place in option 1 anytime. Life is too short!

Old 10-23-2020, 07:32 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Things look nice. Phoenix is a nice clean city
Annual Report Again Ranks Phoenix Air Quality Among Worst In Nation

https://www.knau.org/post/annual-rep...g-worst-nation

Phoenix ranks as one of the most polluted U.S. cities on new list

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...es-on-new-list

"The American Lung Association's 2019 “State of the Air” report found Phoenix has earned poorer rankings for the nation's most widespread air pollutants. The annual air quality “report card” tracks Americans' exposure to unhealthful levels of ozone or particle pollution, both of which can be deadly."

New Report: Phoenix Air Quality Worsened for Pollution | American ...
https://www.lung.org/media/press-rel...rt-phoenix-air

Old 10-23-2020, 07:38 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
This. Think about how much fun you guys would have OP.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:01 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
A combination of #2 and #3.

Spend 6 months traveling in an RV to destinations that you've researched as possible locations to settle down at.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:11 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,649,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I never thought this day would come so quickly, but after four years my wife and I are getting restless and considering another move. We live in a small (250 home) 55+ retirement community and the pandemic has made us realize what a limited and soul-sucking place this is. We’re considering:

1) Keep the house and travel in a small RV six months or more a year (can’t park RVs at home - HOA rule),
2) Sell the house and move to small, 100% lock-and-leave condo, and do the RV + travel thing,
3) Sell everything and hit the road as full-time travelers with no home base.

We are both in our 60s, healthy, and our finances are stable. What would you do? Are we being too cavalier?
2. If the RV things doesn't work out, you'll have the condo.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,727 posts, read 58,079,686 times
#2 (if you know where you want to buy...)

Seems you are set on selling existing place anyway, so sooner the better, or... if there is any chance you would want to return... keep it and rent it (if allowed), until you find Mayberry (for you).

I prefer rural, so we have a few rural properties in desirable destinations with a shop & apartment & RV hookups. Gives us a few places to call home and keep our stuff (Tools, tractors, motorcycles...). Each place has main home rented out, so someone to feed the livestock, mow, watch the place, blade snow... + positive cash flows and deductible travel expenses between destinations.

I plan on renting after age 70 (probably overseas). Or find a rural cottage co-op housing village.

When traveling in our small RV, we use community pools / gyms / for showers, unless it is summer, then the outdoor shower on RV is fine. (preferred). We have a large FS shower in RV, but I don't like to add the humidity to the RV,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement