Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 10:08 AM

810 posts, read 871,229 times

Advertisements

I went on Medicare this year but am not taking Social Security yet. Have been paying the Medicare premiums quarterly, online with a credit card. I get the 1% back using the Visa card (which helps offset the medical inflation rate). I have a reminder posted and also keep a payment log. It will be several or more years before I start taking Social Security.

I have hesitated to set up Auto-pay from my bank account (monthly) but am considering it. I have read a few stories where people had hassles shutting off the auto-pay and they kept taking it out after they went on Social Security. My question is, for those of you not yet taking Social Security, which method are you using to pay your Medicare premiums? And for those who have transitioned to taking SS, did it happen without a glitch? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 10:13 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
I set up autopay from my checking account. *I* had control of when payments went out, and could simply turn off the payment when I started taking SS. The transition was easy - I just had to be sure when the last payment from checking needed to occur, and then turn off future payments.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:30 AM

130,230 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I have autopay on a few bills, & when I set it up, it asked for a finish date. So if your bank has the same feature, you can set it to finish the payments on a date of your choice in the future.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:04 AM

810 posts, read 871,229 times
Thank you both for your replies. I had forgotten to consider the difference between the "pull" and "push" auto-pay methods. I had been thinking only of having Medicare "pull" the premium out. I've never used my bank's autopay features; have only ever done manual payments where I go in and initiate it each time. More to consider. Thank you again for your replies.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:05 AM

6,626 posts, read 7,342,677 times
As long as cash flow is not a problem I would set up in your banks system a monthly check to medicare. You can always stop it and change the amount each year. I would tend to set it up for 12 months with a note on my calendar to adjust. When the annual increase is set then set up the next year for 12 months.

Old 12-12-2021, 03:18 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
As long as cash flow is not a problem I would set up in your banks system a monthly check to medicare. You can always stop it and change the amount each year. I would tend to set it up for 12 months with a note on my calendar to adjust. When the annual increase is set then set up the next year for 12 months.
Medicare sends out bills quarterly. Can banks auto-pays accommodate quarterly payments ?

For the 5 quarters I was direct billed by Medicare I either used credit card or wrote & mailed check.

Also the back of the bills state that if you want to setup a bank autopay, you have to call Medicare first.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
you ask what happens after you start receiving your SS $$?
It takes the medicare premium from your SS CHECK before they deposit into your bank account,you dont have to mail them any payment,they will tell you in December how much is your medicare premium for next year
also why use your VISA to get 1%,these days some cards give you more than 1%.
One AMEX card gives you 6% for grocery,less for other purchases,BAC has a VISA which gives you more for online purchase.
Capital BAnk quick silver MC gives you $200 back when you spend $500 (one time only),other cards have similar deals but not 200 out of 500,they could give you 100 or give you mucho points you can redeem . cash .
AMEX first year membership is free ,after that it is 95 dollars,you can always cancel after one year.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:02 PM

That 6% cash back from AMEX is nice,who does not buy grocery,you can spend easily a few hundred a month,if you have a family,could be 1000 -2000 a month,that 6% comes to$60-$120

Old 12-12-2021, 08:05 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
I went on Medicare this year but am not taking Social Security yet. Have been paying the Medicare premiums quarterly, online with a credit card. I get the 1% back using the Visa card (which helps offset the medical inflation rate). I have a reminder posted and also keep a payment log. It will be several or more years before I start taking Social Security.

I have hesitated to set up Auto-pay from my bank account (monthly) but am considering it. I have read a few stories where people had hassles shutting off the auto-pay and they kept taking it out after they went on Social Security. My question is, for those of you not yet taking Social Security, which method are you using to pay your Medicare premiums? And for those who have transitioned to taking SS, did it happen without a glitch? Thank you.

I used BillPay to send Medicare premium payments. But it wouldn't have mattered if I ran one or two payments past the date when SS was enabled, because they'd refund your overage eventually.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:05 PM

there is autopay with local utility companies ,but if there is not enough in your bank,would your bank slap you with NSF and a fee of 35-50 dollars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement