Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 03:34 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times

Advertisements

I only attended my 10th.

The 5th reunion was too soon...I knew that only the most popular would be there and it would be a complete rehash of those H.S. years.

The 10th was perfect - I'd gotten my graduate degree and a good job...was married - in a good place in my life. The 15th felt really fast after the 10. By the 20th I'd divorced and was in no mood to talk about all that.

Anyway, ours was the biggest class ever in the history of our H.S. but that still amounted to only 125. Of which most people stayed put in a rural farming community. Since I didn't there was not a lot in common - I can't imagine ever going back for another. In fact, I haven't even been back to that town of 2,000 in the 15 years since my mom's funeral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 07:55 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
That's only eight months away, so probably not. We'll still be wearing masks then, from what I've been told.
Masks are great for hiding marionette lines and chin hair. Just sayin'.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:37 AM

494 posts, read 286,161 times
I've never been to my high school renunion. Unless you're from a very small town that knows everyone, I don't understand the point of these reunions. (and even then, everyone from a small town probably still keeps in touch?) It almost seems like morbid curiosity to me to, perhaps, say I turned out better than you, etc.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:17 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post
I've never been to my high school renunion. Unless you're from a very small town that knows everyone, I don't understand the point of these reunions. (and even then, everyone from a small town probably still keeps in touch?) It almost seems like morbid curiosity to me to, perhaps, say I turned out better than you, etc.

^^This^^ Many go to compare themselves to their former classmates.

Old 01-09-2021, 01:30 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
The header "Lifestyle Requirements " is odd for a post on high school reunions. IMHO.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:23 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
The header "Lifestyle Requirements " is odd for a post on high school reunions. IMHO.
I agree- I wish the OP or the mods could change it.

HS years were not my best. I liked the "Book-learning" and that was it. I was awful at the team sports they emphasized in gym class (still am) and couldn't flirt (still can't). We wore ugly uniforms and I was average-looking to begin with.

I went to the 5-year and it was pretty boring. They started a FB page for our class before the 40th and I joined it. It made me a lot more comfortable with where they were and where I was, and I ventured to Ohio for the reunion. I enjoyed it. Really. It was a small class but we'd been slotted into academic "tracks" and on top of that the girls were in separate classes from the boys till they finally quit that senior year. So, there were a lot of people I barely knew because I wasn't very social outside of class so I didn't really spend time with them. Many turned out to be genuinely nice, interesting people. A small group of the women meet via Zoom every month now and I enjoy that. I've also been to the 45th and to a picnic celebrating the 50th anniversary of the school where they brought back some of the nuns.

It's been interesting to see who doesn't show up- many are local. So, there's some self-selection and the people who don't feel that good about where they are in life maybe didn't attend. OTOH, the class goofball, who photobombed the National Honor Society pic in the yearbook but never was a member, is now Dr. Goofball with expertise in some obscure field in Biology and I haven't seen him at any of these, either.

When I attended the 45th, the lady at the car rental counter at the airport got her revenge on me for not "upgrading" to a fancier vehicle by issuing me an ugly lime-green Ford Fiesta. I thought it was hilarious and made a point of showing it to my classmates so they could see what an elegant life I lead.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:09 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
2020 would have been my 50th HS reunion as well. I didn't hear if anyone was doing anything and I didn't really care. I didn't like most of them during those years and I have no desire whatsoever to see any of them and wouldn't have gone if they did and there was no pandemic.

I was a good student and a band "nerd", but not very social so I only had a couple of close friends and both of them betrayed our friendship, one in high school and one in college. I was bullied by the "in" crowd. Nope, not even interested in seeing them again.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post
I went to high school in a small town. I never bothered to stay in touch with classmates, though one of them married one of my cousins, so I saw him from time to time. There was a girl a couple years behind me that I dated. She and I were on and off lovers through college and young adulthood, and never lost touch. She died last September. I would love to have seen her again. At least we talked on the phone about a month before she died.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:18 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
We had our 50th in 2019.

The 40th had been well organised but mostly I enjoyed seeing my three long term friends, who live in different corners of the country and who went to the bother to return. After a few drinks some of the blokes started asking me why I still lived in Sydney as where they had ended up living was so much cheaper and better. In their opinion! I realised I could not even remember their names.

I did make it to the 45th, which was poorly organised and only 17 people turned up. It was memorable as the most “successful” member of our class, who is a federal judge, told us interesting gossip from his past that really surprised us.

When the info came out on the 50th, I realised we had theatre tickets for that night. I simply could not be bothered changing the tickets, to go and talk to people I have no longer any connection with. I think we are all are in agreement that that was the last one.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:11 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Thanks to the Mods for changing the thread title!

Just met via Zoom with a group of my classmates and our reunion will be postponed to the fall at least and maybe into next year. There are some people on the call hat I had to look up later and I don't remember them all but I really like this group and am looking to seeing them in person again when it's safe.

Interesting observation on one who hasn't been to a single reunion- she's had a law practice in the center of town for years so it's not like she has to travel. I looked her up and she was suspended from the bar in 2019 for what seemed like stupid mistakes (prepared a deed with son deeding the house to parents and it was supposed to be vice versa) and when she corrected that she took months to record it. (Recording is a really simple process- if the document has been correctly executed you take it to the courthouse, pay a fee and it's done. Real estate transactions not recorded are not valid.) Sad- I wonder what happened there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement