Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 06:15 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times

Advertisements

As in the empty pill bottles.

Do you just toss them out or into recycling or do you first have a way to remove the labels? Do you give them to a medical recycling of some kind or even have them disposed of as medical waste?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 06:30 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,226,741 times
I used to try and scratch the label off. I could deface it somewhat, but it seemed a lot of work for the minimal chance that someone would rifle through my garbage looking for a useful drug.

I don't bother anymore. My prescriptions are pretty boring except for one anti-depressant that I use for insomnia. I think soaking the bottles in water for several hours might work.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:41 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,525,180 times
All the labels on my scripts from Walgreens peel right off, nice and easy.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:28 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,274,226 times
I have only one prescription and it's an ointment; the labeling is on the box and I throw it in the recycling.

After DH died I had a ton of his meds left including morphine. A group from my church was going to Haiti and was accepting leftover prescriptions. I peeled off what I could (leaving on the description and dosage) and used a Sharpie where could. I don't know if that was legal but I figured it got put to good use.

DH had back issues and tended to go to the doc every time he had a flare-up and we had multiple bottles of Oxycodone and Hydrocodone- there was enough left just in the unexpired bottles to take down a racehorse. I kept a small stash (which I've never used, and that was 2016) and donated the rest.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:28 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I used to try and scratch the label off. I could deface it somewhat, but it seemed a lot of work for the minimal chance that someone would rifle through my garbage looking for a useful drug.

I don't bother anymore. My prescriptions are pretty boring except for one anti-depressant that I use for insomnia. I think soaking the bottles in water for several hours might work.
I wouldn't think that my drugs for Type II and hi BP would be exploitable BUT I am not a chemist. I don't know if they could be made into or used in the process of something that is exploitable. After all, who would think that brake fluid is used in making meth? Further, while I am not a chemist, I know enough about criminal methods to know where a market is seen, crime can result. Might someone take a look at the price of insulin to go up and see us pill takers as a potential garden? I don't know.

I'll take a look at the sink method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I have only one prescription and it's an ointment; the labeling is on the box and I throw it in the recycling.

After DH died I had a ton of his meds left including morphine. A group from my church was going to Haiti and was accepting leftover prescriptions. I peeled off what I could (leaving on the description and dosage) and used a Sharpie where could. I don't know if that was legal but I figured it got put to good use.

DH had back issues and tended to go to the doc every time he had a flare-up and we had multiple bottles of Oxycodone and Hydrocodone- there was enough left just in the unexpired bottles to take down a racehorse. I kept a small stash (which I've never used, and that was 2016) and donated the rest.
Not me. Having worked in controlled medicinals, any unused stuff, either human or animal, if I can't "flush" it, I return it to people who have the means (and the paper trail) to get rid of it.

Decades ago, I had some Tylenol 3 for an eye infection which I took two tablets and it scared the heck out of me, and didn't take any more. I did feel empowered that I had such stuff, after all it was granted to me, but after a little bit of soul searching, I decided it was drug abuse to not be, if I ever did, using it for what it was prescribed for. I disposed of it, probably back then by flushing.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-01-2021 at 07:49 AM..

Old 02-01-2021, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,615 posts, read 81,316,164 times
I peel from the upper left corner, just enough to remove my name. It's usually easy after starting with a fingernail.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:03 AM

11,143 posts, read 9,782,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
All the labels on my scripts from Walgreens peel right off, nice and easy.
CVS and Walmart bottles too. They peel right off. If you have trouble peeling them, tey heating with a blow dryer first. It melts the glue and they come right off (price tags, bumper stickers, and other stickers too).

We donate the bottles after peeling the labels. A local group has a collection box for them. They are re-used by medical charities to distribute meds at clinics in poverty stricken countries. It always seemed such a waste to throw them out, so glad to have a way to recycle them for the good of others.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:12 AM

11,143 posts, read 9,782,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I wouldn't think that my drugs for Type II and hi BP would be exploitable BUT I am not a chemist. I don't know if they could be made into or used in the process of something that is exploitable. After all, who would think that brake fluid is used in making meth? Further, while I am not a chemist, I know enough about criminal methods to know where a market is seen, crime can result. Might someone take a look at the price of insulin to go up and see us pill takers as a potential garden? I don't know.

I'll take a look at the sink method.

Not me. Having worked in controlled medicinals, any unused stuff, either human or animal, if I can't "flush" it, I return it to people who have the means (and the paper trail) to get rid of it.

Decades ago, I had some Tylenol 3 for an eye infection which I took two tablets and it scared the heck out of me, and didn't take any more. I did feel empowered that I had such stuff, after all it was granted to me, but after a little bit of soul searching, I decided it was drug abuse to not be, if I ever did, using it for what it was prescribed for. I disposed of it, probably back then by flushing.
PLEASE do not flush it. Sewers eventually flow to the rivers and oceans, and sewage treatment does not remove pharmaceutical products dissolved in the water. Pharmaceuticals in the water supply affect the animals in the food chain, affecting them biologically, and are eventually fed back up to humans. Studies have shown that fresh water fish in our rivers contain traces of numerous human pharmaceuticals. If you can't use up your meds, return them to a pharmacy for proper disposal.

Last edited by TheShadow; 02-01-2021 at 08:35 AM..

Old 02-01-2021, 09:28 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
If we have leftover drugs, they go to a proper disposal facility.

As far as the empty bottles, if somebody is THAT interested in my garbage - have at it.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:42 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,354,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If we have leftover drugs, they go to a proper disposal facility.

As far as the empty bottles, if somebody is THAT interested in my garbage - have at it.
Yeah, do criminals really go dumpster diving for a random name and address anymore? Seems criminal activity has gotten more sophisticated and they all do their criminal work online and/or by phone.

I don't cross off my name on anything anymore. I do make sure it goes into a bag full of daily garbage or even used kitty litter. If someone is that desperate, they are welcome to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement