Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 04:20 PM

1,670 posts, read 1,498,170 times

Advertisements

Whatever your source is, if you're watching it on a display screen, you're watching TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 05:06 PM

899 posts, read 681,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
ILTXwhatnext, I said:

"And why would you think that only "Younger folks with big families can justify a big screen TV".
I originally said,

"Younger folks with big families can justify a big screen TV. I imagine many people who are retired or aiming in that direction would like to get rid of the TV set, however. We still have three TVs but I can imagine letting them go. The screen on my phone is a bit too small, though."

So how do you get that I said only younger folks can justify it? If I said ALL people who are retired etc. would like to get rid of it, then I could understand the conclusion. But I said "many," which means some, maybe a few or a lot, and maybe even most people (more than 50%) who are retiring would not want to get rid of it. But I never said all.

And I already replied to that effect. "Like I said, "Many people," not "All people," and if you wish to keep your TV(s), knock yourself out."

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Whatever your source is, if you're watching it on a display screen, you're watching TV.
I'll disagree. We're watching a TV program on a laptop or phone etc. That may seem nitpicky but I'm going back to OP's question, was whether we own a TV set, saying,

" I was thinking I may be just as happy watching in the sunroom on my iPad or in the office on the desktop with what may be a 16 to 20 inch monitor."

OP can correct me if I'm wrong....

Old 03-27-2021, 05:13 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,609,297 times
People who have three TV's trying to pretend like they do not......

typical of a TV thread.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:24 PM

3,558 posts, read 1,672,068 times
I've only ever had broadcast reception. Never impressed enough with cable or satellite to pay money, especially when cable went from bragging about no commercials to charging money AND showing commercials. My CRT 19inch Sony went to tv heaven few months ago. It was one old enough to need the digital converter box, so in effect it was just a monitor, the box is the actual tuner as of 2010 or somewhere around there.

So did I rush out and buy a new tv? Nope, connected my 22 inch VGA computer monitor to the tv box and its my new tv. Using a spare slightly smaller monitor 19 inch for the desktop computer now. Did have to buy another $15 mystery box to hook my stand alone dvd player to the computer monitor. But even that works pretty well.

Do I own a CRT tv. Actually I do, or think I do, there is an old black and white tv buried in storage. I had used it for a backup tv during time I had an outdoor tv antenna that regularly got struck by lightening and blew up whatever color tv I had on regular basis until I gave up outdoor antenna along with some more distant stations. This is some years back. No idea if it even still works, it took long time to warm up to where it had a picture back then. Thats the only reason I didnt connect the converter box to it the long wait to get picture showing. I dont mind black and white. I would be more impressed if they built any tv that could last 50 years than I am with all high resolution tvs that cover a large wall. Honestly I dont need to see the skin pores of the actors.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:25 PM

17,237 posts, read 57,250,186 times
I have one small regular OTA TV, with rabbit ears. I can get about a dozen sub-channels. I like World Channel PBS, and I do like to watch the local news, they usually talk about local issues and events that the regular NPR stations don't put on the radio. I probably could find a local AM radio station that would have most of this, but am sort of in the habit of watching the evening news from 5 to about 7.

I have never paid a dime of my own money for cable TV.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:29 PM

17,402 posts, read 11,388,778 times
I enjoy TV. I don't have a huge screen, I think mine is 32" in the living rm and another in the bedroom is about 20". I've had these for several years already. When I move I'll buy 2 more that are a bit larger and better.

I'm not sure either what age or retirement has to do with whether or not you have a TV or if you enjoy it. Does one become too old to watch TV? I don't get that. For myself, a laptop doesn't replace a TV. It's nice to have in case you're somewhere else and want to watch something while waiting at the airport or getting your car repaired for example. It doesn't replace the TVs at home.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:34 PM

899 posts, read 681,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
People who have three TV's trying to pretend like they do not......

typical of a TV thread.
If I were trying to pretend I didn't have three TVs, why would I post that I have three TVs?

Typical of people who have poor reading comprehension.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:41 PM

8,816 posts, read 5,136,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have a 21-inch dumb TV with a DVD hookup that I never use. Keep the TV for CNN, some PBS, a couple of addiction shows like "Intervention," and will get the MLB package if sports events get back to anything like normal, and will switch my affiliation from the Red Sox (Mookie!!) to the Rockies.
I am a Red Sox fan......back to 1967. I to will miss Mookie.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:41 PM

2,120 posts, read 3,032,477 times
I have three tv's all 32" flat. Living room and each bedroom. I'm not into streaming.
I've always got the tv on. Half the time I'm watching, the other half I'm listening.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:49 PM

48,630 posts, read 35,099,152 times
We have a large smart TV in the living room, we do not have cable but stream Netflix, Prime, Disney, Hulu, HBO and YouTube TV. We have another smaller one that is sometimes in DH's workshop, sometimes in guest room.

If I watch TV in bed I use my Kindle or Chromebook.

TV is only used at night, or if I'm folding clothes or something.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement