Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 06:29 PM

11,180 posts, read 16,089,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We have a large smart TV in the living room, we do not have cable but stream Netflix, Prime, Disney, Hulu, HBO and YouTube TV. We have another smaller one that is sometimes in DH's workshop, sometimes in guest room.

If I watch TV in bed I use my Kindle or Chromebook.

TV is only used at night, or if I'm folding clothes or something.
And how do you differentiate Youtube TV from "cable tv"? Does your Internet service not come from a cable? Do you not pay Youtube TV a monthly fee for the privilege of watching a package of dozens of tv channels including, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.?

I'm not seeing the distinction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 08:06 PM

4,356 posts, read 4,750,900 times
Three of them and I live alone.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:11 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,456 times
Three. We do not stream anything on our other devices; a mountain too high.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:29 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,335,319 times
We had two but today my brother arrived with two he doesn’t want. So DH, who hates waste, kindly accepted them. Grr. He hopes to give one away to a young friend, but I do not like his chances.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,858 posts, read 58,479,036 times
Zero... no TV since 1968

No cable, no internet, no signal, no dishes allowed in current home location.

No Netflix, No roku, no Alexa, no vcr / beta / dvd... but a few 8 tracks still laying around.

No loss (once the library re-opens)

Been a long Covid 'break' from available access to information.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:57 AM

4,083 posts, read 2,175,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Zero... no TV since 1968

No cable, no internet, no signal, no dishes allowed in current home location.

No Netflix, No roku, no Alexa, no vcr / beta / dvd... but a few 8 tracks still laying around.

No loss (once the library re-opens)

Been a long Covid 'break' from available access to information.
So how do you access the forum without the .Internet?

My library was closed for a couple months last year, so checking books out on Kindle from them was helpful. Until a week ago they were partially closed...you could check books out curbside, but not go into the library. I thought it was weird. Gyms, schools, stores, restaurants, bars all open...why was the library considered t8 be such a haven for the virus?

Old 03-28-2021, 06:17 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,349,131 times
I get a kick out of these forum threads which start out as the most innocuous of conversations and ends up with 2 or 3 people arguing amongst themselves while everyone else tries to address the subject. I've been guilty of that myself so don't really have much room to talk.

We do watch TV, but I don't like watching TV on a small device; my eyes aren't that good. I do like having the Roku with the TV, however, because we only watch the PBS channel on regular TV. The Roku gives us some other things - and gives DH his soccer games ad infinitum.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:43 AM

128 posts, read 115,061 times
I live alone and have (3) televisions. 2 of them are Roku's, 50" in the bedroom and a 65" in the living room.

I still have a 60" old Plasma in my man cave. Works great and I'm hoping it will last until I retire in a couple years.

I'm a huge movie fan...I have about 2000 movies on VUDU and subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime so I watch those on occasion also.

It's personal preference. Everyone has hobbies...movies are mine.

I haven't had cable TV since 2014 when the Charter jacked my monthly price for cable and internet to $200. I had been paying $150 or so. Screw that. I don't miss regular TV at all. I absolutely HATE commercials and I watch zero sports. If I do want to see highlights of games I'll catch them on Youtube later.

I've been paying for nothing but internet for the last 6.5 years and it's been wonderful. $60 a month and I have all the entertainment I want.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:32 AM

6,792 posts, read 5,535,447 times
Of course I have a tv.

Many years ago I had a Roku device, found literally hundreds of unknown to me series shows I could watch or binge watch.

We had cable for a while in the house when we bought it in '15. Ditched that when the cable tv, phone, net PKG got to be $275/m! Went to over the air tv...we get 18 channels (granted when they come in...memba the old days of antenna tv?). I do have a booster on the antenna, but all stations are not all guaranteed to come in, largely depends on weather. Mostly watch PBS (when it comes in).
I have a DVD player too.

I picked up a special buy Smart TV, 32" from wm for $108. I went to set it up, but the remote control is like the Roku, and I have no idea how I pick and choose a local station, without scrolling through all of them?
I also don't yet have wifi, a requirement, so it sits behind the 27" flat dumb tv, as yet unused.
It won't to to waste, mostly watch tv in the bonus/sun room, but one can go to living room.
I did buy a streaming universal remote, it may allow me to set up the smart tv, and pick my local channels til I'm ready to reconnect wifi.

I use unlimited data on my smart phone, and will watch shows/movies in it.

There are now hundreds of streaming services, everybody wants in on it, and you'd think cable tv would be rather cheap to compete, but, no.

The TV is on most of the time I'm in the room, unless I'm watching my smart phone. It's background noise if nothing else.

And I have a 3" deep"flat screen " tv in the basement, unused.

Not giving up tv any time soon here!

Best to all...

Old 03-28-2021, 07:41 AM

15,256 posts, read 13,072,267 times
We have a bunch of flat panels that came with the house. There's one in the yoga studio, one in the kitchen, one in the living room, one outside on the patio and the largest, a 70-incher, is in the boardroom in the casita. I'm seriously considering buying a larger TV to replace the projector and screen in the home theater room.

My spouse, who was so insistent on moving back into the main house, decided he couldn't live without the 70 inch TV, so he's staying out there. He does come in for meals, regular as clockwork, and helps me clean up afterwards. I'm okay with it since he's not trashing the main house with his piles of junk and clutter.

We don't have cable. We've never had cable. I subscribe to a couple of channels on Prime Video and other than Netflix, that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement