Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 05:40 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,482,840 times

Advertisements

Ok, in the same vein as my "SMARTPHONE" learning thread, it might be nice to share, learn about, and use useful apps for smartphones that might be of interest to seniors.

I will note here that if you frequently use a website that also has an app, that what works on the website and how the website looks may be DIFFERENT than how the app works or looks.

PLEASE state what phone you use, it might be helpful to those interested in downloading an app!

PLEAAE be tactful AND helpful...not everyone her is "smartphone tech savvy"!!

I have an Android Motorola Revvlry, and use TMobile 55+ plan with unlimited talk text and unlimited data.

Because it's an Android, I can search for and download apps through the Google play store link.

I have Google Earth app on my smartphone.
So, I went to Google play store>search>typed in "Google Earth">install. When it loaded, I >open, and was up and running.
(BTW the ">" character means "click", which on a smart phone means "tap" that button, link, etc.)

Once the app is downloaded, it may already put a button on one of the app pages on your smartphone, OR you might have to click a button to put the link on your app pages.
In this case, the home link button looks like a picture of our wonderful planet.

Periodically, you might get a notification that there is an update to an app. If you click that link, it should upload the updates.

If not notified, I >play store>my user name>Manage apps> search for updates> update all, OR > ON THE APP(S) I want to update, and they will update.

Using wifi makes it quicker, but most can be updated on data too. If it's a lot of updates, it may suggest to you to wait til you can access wifi.

Important: it's wise to push your turn on button and when the "start menu" (similar to your computer start button), select "restart phone", let it restart and then sign in to restart phone.

This restarting will allow your app update (s) to efficiently load with the update changes.

*It's also wise to periodically restart your phone, if it's your only phone (like me) and leave it on all the time). No need to really turn it all the way off, just click the restart button.

Google Earth works about the way it does on your computer, and can zoom into a street view. In my opinion it's a bit slower than Google Earth on a computer, but it works.

Google maps is preloaded on my smartphone, and it is better to give me a map of directions.

Best to all..

Please let's not let this thread degenerate!

Last edited by galaxyhi; 12-09-2021 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 06:10 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,109,848 times
That was a nice, simple explanation of the steps to download and use apps. Here are just a few apps that I find especially useful:

Pedometer. Instead of a Fitbit, this serves the function of tracking my exercise. It records and displays the basics such as distance in steps and miles and average speed of walking. There are more advanced apps for tracking physical activity but this does all that interests me.

Life 360. You can track on a map the movements of family members who also have the app and give permission. Rather than make a phone call, I can check to see that my wife is shopping or has been delayed at the doctor's office, etc. She can do the same with me.

Memo. I use a memo/note taking app for all sorts of information, mostly hobby related. The information files are easy to organize and search.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:11 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,748,456 times
I have a Samsung Galaxy S20, so an Android.

I use Google Assistant a lot. It's similar to Alexa, but with a screen. So I just tap it, and it will show "Listening..." and I speak my command, and it does what I need. I can say "Call Bob Jones" and it will look in my contacts, get the number and dial it. I can send a text without typing the same way. I can ask things like "Show me nearby Greek restaurants", and it will bring up a map of the closest ones. etc. You can ask it any sort of factual question, like "what is 23 times 432?", and you can ask it for the weather forecast anywhere in the world, etc. I like being able to speak the commands, especially when it's plugged into the car and I'm driving. It will bring the map up on my dash screen.

I like the app called "Reading glasses". It's basically a close up lens allowing you to zoom using the camera lens, but I can see almost any tiny thing, like the "mouse size font" on medication bottles, without resorting to digging my glasses out and putting them on. DH uses it to read restaurant menus if he forgot his reading glasses.

I like the flashlight app when I need light in a dark place.

I use the Netflix app on my tablet to watch movies and stuff from Netflix (I subscribe to it).

I have numerous Smart Home type apps that I use to control devices in my home from wherever I am. I have a Nest thermostat, and I have several smart plugs so that I can turn lights on or off remotely. And I use the Smart Cam app to see the feed from our various security cameras in/around our home.

For games, I personally enjoy Sudoku, and I play Classic Words, which is a free Scrabble clone without all the ads of the actual Scrabble app. I usually just play that against the computer when I'm waiting somewhere like the doctor's office.

I've also used several calorie tracker apps with varying level of success. Some are simple and others quite complicated.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:26 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,568,743 times
A sleep sounds app. It has a bunch of preprogrammed tracks like storm, beach, night woods, train, cafe, white noise, etc. but also lets you create and save your own where you can add in a bit of thunder, rain hitting a window, frogs, cicadas, wind, fireplace, even weird stuff like someone vacuuming in the distance. I use Bluetooth to bind it to our portable speaker when we go to sleep, it's great.

I also use a compass app, it works like a real compass but also shows elevation which I assume it gets from GPS.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:53 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,482,840 times
I have the "My radar" weather app on my Android smartphone.

It will give me radar weather info for my area, though I can look for weather anywhere.

It works similar to the weather radar apps your local tv stations use.

I went to Google play store>search, entered "My radar">download.
I let it download, then >open, gave it permission to access my location, and was up and running.

I can see weather as it is happening, and look in the direction it is coming from to see what will follow.

I think it's great.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:26 AM

8,338 posts, read 6,421,491 times
Some popular apps that really drain your battery, best to use in moderation on your phone. YouTube, Facebook, Netflix, newsapp,BBC news.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:46 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
WhatsApp for free calls outside the US.

Roku app if you use Roku - controls audio volume/night mode/dialogue enhancement plus a much easier way to enter text for searches than the physical remote.

Most music streaming apps have a free module (like Spotify): Radio Paradise, Pandora, Amazon Music (for Prime members), (& probably your favorite stations from anywhere in the world). I listen with morning coffee or during housework/cooking.

Google News for a good news aggregator.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:52 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
I think one thing that you guys need to explain about apps is that they don't appear to be a one time purchase but that you have to rent them.......right?

Old 12-10-2021, 03:12 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I think one thing that you guys need to explain about apps is that they don't appear to be a one time purchase but that you have to rent them.......right?
It depends entirely on the app. The app itself is either free or a one-time cost, but the app might be connected to a subscription or to in-app purchases. For example, anyone can download the Netflix app but it won't do anything without a Netflix subscription.

Old 12-10-2021, 03:42 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,933,464 times
Just this week I switched to a Samsung S20 (Android) when nearly 6 year old LG bricked itself. Shut itself off and it could not be restarted.

Apps I use often are:
- Weatherbug (construction management career required constant weather watching)
- RealCalc (a great scientific calculator application)
- Hangar360 (provides secure access to the plane hangar where I store my toys).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement