Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 07:26 AM

938 posts, read 390,375 times

Advertisements

I've always wanted to build an outdoor wood-fired oven and after a year into retirement I'm starting. My problem is that I can't just do simple and have added a full masonry fireplace to go with it. I also usually build based on my "vision" I have in my mind, adding and changing as things take shape. Anybody else out there that builds on the fly? Anybody build their own Fireplace/Wood-Oven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 08:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have not built a wood oven, but did a brick patio fireplace years ago. I rarely do any kind of formal plan for building things. At most a list of what I need to buy. For example, when I built my greenhouse I wrote down what I thought I needed to buy, the wood, PVC pipe and connectors, and sheet plastic. I forgot about screen for the door and window, and hinges for the door. When I built a 20' long bench for displaying my bonsai, I just bough the wood and sacks of concrete for the posts, got home and designed as I went.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:16 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
Youtube is great for some of these projects as you can see step by step what to do and maybe what NOT to do!

Old 04-16-2021, 08:22 AM

4,934 posts, read 3,309,602 times
See www.hearth.com/talk/ this an older thread about it.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...eplace.153597/
Maybe search for newer threads or post a new thread there.
Site also has info on firewood etc.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:33 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
I've always wanted to build an outdoor wood-fired oven and after a year into retirement I'm starting. My problem is that I can't just do simple and have added a full masonry fireplace to go with it. I also usually build based on my "vision" I have in my mind, adding and changing as things take shape. Anybody else out there that builds on the fly? Anybody build their own Fireplace/Wood-Oven?
I build on the fly. My projects design themselves as I go along.
I once sat for about a year and looked at the site for a tool shed project before I realized I was trying to build it in the wrong place! Once I "moved it over" about 75 feet it began to take shape. That was 17 years ago. It is still there and recently received a new roof.

My garden patio is still taking shape. The raised beds are a full 2 feet high and filled with soil, and the brick pavers are about 20% installed. It sits 35 feet from the house, out in the sun. It will include a bench with shade so that my wife can sit and rest her back without going inside.
It will probably have a few other features that have not revealed themselves yet. (I saw a solar powered bird bath fountain once. I wonder if.......)

Old 04-16-2021, 10:33 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
I want an outdoor shower.

I even know where it will go: There's a sunken conversation pit that we've never used and never will use. DH has some reservations about this -- I think he thinks people will be able to see him naked. But I have a snail shower in mind.

Because it's always good to have clean snails!

Old 04-16-2021, 02:33 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I want an outdoor shower.

I even know where it will go: There's a sunken conversation pit that we've never used and never will use. DH has some reservations about this -- I think he thinks people will be able to see him naked. But I have a snail shower in mind.

Because it's always good to have clean snails!
Not to mention, you live in the perfect climate for an outdoor shower.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:47 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default Find a European trained true "Mason"

Quote:
Open heath and ovens are so often built just WRONG by so called "fireplace guys". Find a mason from Europe. You should be able to in St. Louis (German, Yugoslav, etc. where lots of rock work is done, maybe Scottish) you'll not be sorry as I think you want to do this right.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:06 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Failing to Plan is Planning to Fail.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:12 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
DH was going to build a wood fired oven out of a bunch of bricks he has. Then he found out you have to use a special kind of brick and mortar to withstand the high heat, and we both lost interest.

I'm a planner. I don't like wasting time or resources on doing things that don't turn out properly.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement