Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Happy with the move in retirement?
Yes, no regrets best thing for me 66 62.86%
No, would have been happier in my home state 3 2.86%
Yes, but I split my time between my new home and old one 11 10.48%
No, my original areas was going down hill 2 1.90%
Yes, but I go back to visit family often 5 4.76%
No, I miss my family terribly 0 0%
Yes, I moved south 22 20.95%
Yes, I moved north 15 14.29%
Yes, but I have multiple residences 7 6.67%
No, and I can't get back now so I'm stuck in hell 5 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 11:36 AM

6,117 posts, read 3,831,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I hope you're not serious with that nonsense. Especially with regard to comparing Central Florida temps with cities west of the Mississippi with low humidity.
I just stated the facts as they appear in today's paper. You can make of it what you want.

BTW, our night time lows this time of year are about 72*. And I just checked our outside humidity gauge at 1:40 PM, and it says 46%. Not bad at all, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 11:48 AM

14,970 posts, read 9,880,818 times
and we Floridians thank you for that. We're glad you're happy.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:56 AM

11,122 posts, read 6,710,869 times
We're happy we moved WAY down south. It's our "winter" now, so it's 75 degrees for the next 6 months. Summer is 85 most of the time.

Low humidity, no mosquitos, $45 property tax annually---can't complain! Infinity pool and right on the ocean, living on the proverbial shoestring, LOL.

I see one person on the poll is "stuck in hell". Care to reveal where you are, so we can avoid it?

Old 06-05-2021, 02:30 PM

572 posts, read 291,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
So many beautiful refreshing springs in Florida. Sadly, Wakulla Springs isn't one we've visited. We've been to Salt, Alexander, Juniper, Itchetucknee, Rainbow, Blue, Ginnie, and Wekiwa springs.

Arrived at Salt Springs in the evening and noticed a bunch of birds up in the trees around the pool with fish carcasses all under the trees. They weren't the kinds of birds that had fish as prey. Early the next morning, with mist rising above the river and springs a family of otters were busy fishing and eating along the shore around the pool. The birds in the trees above waited patiently for an opportunity to swoop down and steal a meal. Mystery solved.

Never been to Weeki Wachee but a semi-retired employee of ours loved to tell stories of her time as a "mermaid" there.

When we first moved back to Florida from Missouri we lived on a lake that had small gators, an abandoned orange grove, and bubbling springs that kept the water cool in the heat of summer. We could see what was then the Tangerine Bowl in the distance. That first summer in Orlando was like heaven on Earth.

Back in the early 80's I think we once counted 8 traffic lights between the keys and Gainesville along 27. Used to be a beautiful, sleepy drive. Boy how times have changed. There's probably 8 lights in Ocala alone now.

Old 06-05-2021, 03:01 PM

14,970 posts, read 9,880,818 times
I had a girl friend who was a mermaid at Weeki Wachee back in the day.

Old 06-05-2021, 03:13 PM

6,613 posts, read 7,119,913 times
I know this poll is pointed to those that actually moved. I wish you could have put a selection to say something like looked but decided to remain at least for the time being.

I like to know what reasons people moved and whether or not they found that the move worked. I know some people in the moved and stayed, moved and returned, and moved and moved halfway back.

I looked quite hard at moving in retirement. We actually visited places with living there in mind. While we saw and experienced some amazing places, they didn't check all the boxes remaining at home did. At least for the time being. As we know all this change.

Old 06-05-2021, 03:29 PM

23,478 posts, read 19,172,285 times
I moved all over the US during my career. Many short term/temporary assignments. Don't even know what state I might have considered "home". Haven't lived in the state I grew up in for over 40 years and never liked it when I did. I had a career/life goal to live and work in my current state and finally achieved that goal permanently with my last job. Never considered leaving again.

So, I stayed in the same state in retirement but moved a considerable distance to a new community (about 1000 miles north). Weighed that decision carefully. Moving wasn't essential but I felt it would be best over the long term. It was enough of a logistical/relationship disconnect that it felt like an interstate move might be for many others. Anyway, even though I do miss a few aspects of the town I lived/worked in for so long (16 years) I have no major regrets. Even if I did, can't really go back again so there's no point re-hashing it. A beloved relative lives by a motto I've admired quite often. She's a life long gardener and does exactly that. "Thrive where you're planted."

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-05-2021 at 04:34 PM..

Old 06-05-2021, 04:36 PM

1,665 posts, read 1,930,695 times
I have done a decent amount of traveling in the U.S. so I knew where I wanted to retire in 1990.

It took me until 2003 to get here, with two other moves in between, but I never lost sight of my goal.

I absolutely have ZERO regrets. This 25 acres is my Nirvana, there are no bad days, not even on the worst weather days, and being surrounded by a pandemic for a year.

I’m only coming off this hill, when I’m carried off

Old 06-05-2021, 06:08 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,271,610 times
We moved from Ohio to California when I retired, but my two sons and their families had moved to the Los Angeles area just before we moved to Sacramento.

The area I'm in isn't as nice as where I lived in Ohio, and I actually prefer the weather back in the Midwest.

But we have grandkids only a few hours away and the medical facilities in the region are absolutely top notch, which became more important for us in retirement.

So overall I'm fine with the move, though if doing just a "checklist" of comparing locations, I'd pick Ohio. However, life is a lot more complicated than a checklist can cover.

Old 06-05-2021, 06:50 PM

11,876 posts, read 6,227,108 times
So far the yes's happy with retirement/move are beating the no's 54 to 2.

I would say that is pretty definitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement