Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 10:17 AM

475 posts, read 407,419 times

Advertisements

There is no best, but I have a short list:
  • Live well below your means and save your money.
  • Achieving what you want out of life requires less attention to "lifestyle" and more attention to increasing your ability to act and make choices.
  • Focus on systems, not goals.
  • Passion is BS. Find out what succeeds and what does not. Success comes first, passion comes after.
  • Happiness is fleeting, but fulfillment is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 10:49 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpc123 View Post
There is no best, but I have a short list:
  • Live well below your means and save your money.
  • Achieving what you want out of life requires less attention to "lifestyle" and more attention to increasing your ability to act and make choices.
  • Focus on systems, not goals.
  • Passion is BS. Find out what succeeds and what does not. Success comes first, passion comes after.
  • Happiness is fleeting, but fulfillment is not.
I can’t say I agree with these, but they are interesting ideas and would make good discussion.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:51 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Exactly.

For an example, this worker at my workplace was a very good employee. She worked hard, rarely called in sick, was nice and kind and always helpful to others, went above and beyond, did not talk much or gossip. Everybody liked her. The management liked her too. But one day, this new manager came. That worker was still doing the same things. But that manager hated her so much (for no reason, or for reasons that that worker did not bribe or flatter her, or that manager felt insecure with that worker in the company). So, that manager added a lot of heavy work on her and tried to leave her out from many important meetings. I think that manager tried to isolate the worker and gave her a hell of a time, thinking the worker might feel sad, bad, mad and burnt out and quit. The worker did not quit, but had changed a lot in her character. The worker was very soft on the outside, but very strong on the inside. Later, things had changed to be better for the worker like before when that manager came.

That situation applies to the last sentence above. The point is we have to change what we do accordingly to the environment.
Like the Bruce lee Flow like water statement.

Old 06-14-2021, 04:15 PM

768 posts, read 860,378 times
I have learned that I should have paid a little more attention to myself and my particular wants and needs instead of making sure everyone else in my life had what they needed and were just fine.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:14 PM

748 posts, read 840,610 times
Two that my Dad told me every year that I can remember

A spring rain serves no purpose

Ski fast, or don't ski at all

Old 06-14-2021, 10:49 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
I suppose the best thing I (eventually) learned is that we don't "find ourselves" as our life goes on but rather we create ourselves.

Old 06-16-2021, 11:02 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
It is not how much money you make. It is how much money you spend.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:01 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Don't pee into the wind.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:38 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,094,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Hey, cool dudes and dudettes!

The title says it all....

For me, I'd guess I'd have to say:

"Nothing lasts forever, only memories, and even they will fade away..."

And maybe:
"Heartache comes with sorrow".

How about you?

What is the best life lesson you've ever learned?

She is always right. even when she is wrong she is right. Referring to the better half.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:28 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
I've learned a lot and have a couple regrets, probably my biggest lesson is to do as much healing of my health and not rely on docs and their drugs. I did that in a lot of my life and no more. And do all to avoid any more joint surgeries as I deal daily with damage from a hip replacement...probably a big big regret I live with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement