Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 02:45 AM

30,416 posts, read 19,200,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
An interesting article.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/job...?siteid=yhoof2

Click on the X to continue reading.
They highlight a guy that bakes and sells cookies....if I were going to return to work, I would at least try to do something healthy or helping people rather than killing them with sugar poison.

I've been retired for 2.5 years and see no need for an income other than possibly growing the amount of money my kids will inherit. I've read data that suggests working may be healthier than retiring. So far, I think I'm healthier in retirement than when working. When I was working, I worked 80 hours a week in high stress environment, traveling worldwide, eating mostly horrible foods, and little time or energy for exercise.

Now that I've retired, I make sure I eat healthy and exercise daily so I think I'm much healthier in retirement. I do miss the sense of purpose and social interactions of the work life so there is that detriment. If I were tempted to return to work, I would want to do something that helped people and/or made them healthier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 05:03 AM

17,013 posts, read 12,605,196 times
LOL. No choice in that for many including myself. They will carry my cold dead backside out of a big box store some day.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:28 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,385,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBeachin View Post
This topic has been beat to death. It's up to each individual as to what they define as retirement. It could be quitting work forever and sitting on your *****, quitting work forever and taking on hobbies or travel, working part-time on your own terms because you can't sit still or are just bored, etc. An article can't tell you how to live your life. Some may choose to still work but for less money at a less stressful job without politics and BS. Retirement is whatever you want it to be.

My goal is to get out as early as possible, and if I need to supplement my income for a nicer lifestyle, I may choose a "fun" part-time job. (I wouldn't mind being one of those folks that drive/deliver dealer exchange cars a couple days a week if I chose to do anything.)

Bottom line is retirement = freedom to choose whatever you want to do.
Couldn't have said it better. I've been out on an injury for 6 months, may not return, can do pretty much anything I need to do, just not 100% to perform work duties. My point is, sitting home is not for me, I need to feel productive, lookinmg at easy P/T work just to keep busy and have interaction with different people.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:31 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,674,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don’t know who he stole it from but Mathjak says money gives you options. More money, more options. That’s really all I want: more choices.
Have money I will never spend, plenty of options, but widowed and physically limited. Money can't buy your health.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:06 AM

899 posts, read 673,372 times
I think before retiring, I'll semi-retire. Maybe I'll work part time or do gigs or something.

The Mrs. is looking into this.

https://www.upwork.com/

We could hit the road and explore, and as long as she has an internet connection she can work from the RV if and when it suits her, without a long-term commitment.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:42 AM

9,177 posts, read 6,216,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Have money I will never spend, plenty of options, but widowed and physically limited. Money can't buy your health.
No - money can't buy good health, but it can provide assisted services to help manage day by day.

Having more money also means you don't have to worry about making the rent or mortgage payment whilst you are physically or mentally unable to work.

Having money means you can afford meds to help with your illnesses and alleviate symptoms.

Having money helps alleviate burdens that limit the quality of life otherwise experienced.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:00 AM

654 posts, read 632,644 times
LOL- Now that I am retirement age, it will be easy to find a fun part time job that will be fulfilling and not strenuous, and that will also not require me to work mostly nights/weekends. HA HA HA HA HA HA. Yeah, big box retail, food service or a CSR job, those are real fun, stress free jobs! I'm sure that some people will find jobs like in the article, but it is not just as easy as "getting a job in retirement". If a job like that was that easy to get, I would have had it during my 40 year real career.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:35 AM

1,423 posts, read 758,521 times
Not only no, but hell no. I'm too busy being retired, don't have time for a job.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:37 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,118,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
...... My point is, sitting home is not for me, I need to feel productive, lookinmg at easy P/T work just to keep busy and have interaction with different people.
Why would you sit at home when you are retired? I had too much of that with Covid but before and now since vaccination I am out doing things almost daily. I do have a basement studio for my pastel work but often I am gone on photography sessions or shooting with fellow archers or some sort of local travel. At the end of the Summer I am planning a 4 month photography/National Park trek.

I rarely do things "just to keep busy". I don't have time to waste because I have quite a few things I want to learn, do and accomplish. I pick my friends rather than just look for some sort of social interaction with whoever happens to be in a specific workplace. When I did work, I had a lot of people reporting to me. That level of interaction was stressful and demanding. Trying to develop meaningful friendships in the workplace rarely works out.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:10 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,659,867 times
Working for a living is highly over-rated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement