Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 07:08 AM

21,901 posts, read 13,004,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, I admitted that I was selfish in that regard -- but I just wanted to spend my retirement WITH him.
Well, at least you admit it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 07:50 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,978,655 times
Quote:
Yes, I admitted that I was selfish in that regard -- but I just wanted to spend my retirement WITH him.
Awww... how romantic

Just remember, happy hubby = happy life

Old 06-10-2021, 09:36 AM

9,473 posts, read 5,245,775 times
I've only been retired a little over a year now and started right when COVID hit. I surprisingly do not miss work one bit and, so far, finances are not an issue. That said, I keep feeling like I should take advantage of the shortage of workers and get a PT gig.....doing something fun, like working in a greenhouse or plant place.....or teaching a yoga class (in another life I taught yoga - not for a living, though), book store....something like that. However, nothing so far has lit a fire under my posterior.
We'll see.....and I think the only reason I sometimes feel 'bored' is because I was so accustomed to working working working that I have yet to shake that mentality that I have to actually be DOING SOMETHING to be productive. I have plenty to do around here, but half the time, I don't want to do it. hahaha

Old 06-10-2021, 09:56 AM

21,901 posts, read 13,004,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I've only been retired a little over a year now and started right when COVID hit. I surprisingly do not miss work one bit and, so far, finances are not an issue. That said, I keep feeling like I should take advantage of the shortage of workers and get a PT gig.....doing something fun, like working in a greenhouse or plant place.....or teaching a yoga class (in another life I taught yoga - not for a living, though), book store....something like that. However, nothing so far has lit a fire under my posterior.
We'll see.....and I think the only reason I sometimes feel 'bored' is because I was so accustomed to working working working that I have yet to shake that mentality that I have to actually be DOING SOMETHING to be productive. I have plenty to do around here, but half the time, I don't want to do it. hahaha
I keep reading about the labor shortage and huge numbers of vacancies, but I wonder if there's some central location where these are advertised! I never hear about them locally, unless it's a "help wanted" sign at the fast food chains along the highway (not that bored yet)...

Old 06-10-2021, 10:43 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,978,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I keep reading about the labor shortage and huge numbers of vacancies, but I wonder if there's some central location where these are advertised! I never hear about them locally, unless it's a "help wanted" sign at the fast food chains along the highway (not that bored yet)...
I saw on CNBC where they did a survey on "labor shortage". They interviewed unemployed workers and asked what are the main reason for not taking on new jobs.

The biggest reason was "low pay". So they concluded the key to remedy the "labor shortage" is for the employer to up the wages!

Old 06-10-2021, 12:13 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,984,339 times
Quote:

I get it. I'm not criticizing. Maybe this is a good time to get together with old friends and family?

Old 06-10-2021, 04:14 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,853,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I keep reading about the labor shortage and huge numbers of vacancies, but I wonder if there's some central location where these are advertised!
The 10 Best Job Search Websites of 2021

Best Overall: Indeed
Runner-Up, Best Overall: Monster
Best for Employer Research: Glassdoor
Best for Remote Jobs: FlexJobs
Best for Experienced Managers: The Ladders
Best for Startup Jobs: AngelList
Best for Connecting Directly With Recruiters: LinkedIn
Best for Up-to-Date Listings: LinkUp
Best for Recent College Graduates: Scouted
Best for Hourly Workers: Snagajob

Old 06-11-2021, 05:35 AM

4,539 posts, read 3,763,301 times
DH and I had different careers and our retirements have been different too.

DH has worked from home 2-3 days a week since retiring from his corporation over a year ago. He never worked in an office for > 35 years. He worked in the field, coming into the office rarely or only seeing co-workers attending meetings around the country or on-site at customer accounts, He travelled 30-50% of the time and even more at times. He had a lot of autonomy.

He’s basically doing the same job now with no travel as a consultant. He has his earpiece on and is available, which is all that is needed on some days, as he works on projects around the house/property. Other days he is at his desk doing CAD work with our senior cat on his lap. He’s in no hurry to give it up yet and it’s a nice transition.

I considered doing some per diem work after retiring. Once I got away from work though, I realized how stressful it had been through the years. I worked regular schedules and had little flexibility, depending on the managers I had. After I retired, I kept my license up to date and the certifications requiring continuing ed for a few years and then finally dropped them. I loved the technical side and keeping up to date, but not enough to jump into the fray any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement