Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 01:01 AM

7,817 posts, read 3,411,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Most state taxes are income taxes (some states exempt SS income and some other retirement income so yu have to check), sales tax and property tax. Run simulations on the states you're interested for your situation to se what is optimal. I ran this on Washington state, Montana, Idaho and Arizona...turned out that it wasn't enough difference in state taxes to make a decision on. More importatn was housing prices and areas where I wanted to live.
I live in Washington County in Oregon. I have been taking a look across the river in Washington. To get a similar neighborhood to mine I would not be downsizing in price and I am not sure I would have the same quality of life (sometimes paying taxes you actually get something for it too -- in some cases you get what you pay for)... I will need to do a lot more research and I have a lot of time to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 01:15 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,284,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darock View Post
Yes, that would make sense and appreciate your input. How about NJ property taxes reduction for the elderly? I know NY has the reduction for the elderly.
Nj has a senior tax freeze at 65 where taxes will not increase while income stays below the threshold(92)
https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/tax...tr/index.shtml

You get a rebate for the delta

The homestead rebate was eliminated this year but may be back for 2021.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:51 PM

10,608 posts, read 5,701,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darock View Post
I would love to move to any state listed since I always wanted to get out of the Northeast and enjoy the outdoors but my other half is a hermit.
You know, your better half can be a hermit in any state. Just sayin' .

Old 06-11-2021, 03:02 AM

30,775 posts, read 19,433,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I live in Washington County in Oregon. I have been taking a look across the river in Washington. To get a similar neighborhood to mine I would not be downsizing in price and I am not sure I would have the same quality of life (sometimes paying taxes you actually get something for it too -- in some cases you get what you pay for)... I will need to do a lot more research and I have a lot of time to decide.
You should be able to run your own analysis because the rules on state taxes on income, property taxes and sales taxes are easy to research and you should be able to estimate your own situation using those tax rules.

When we moved from Oregon to Washington state, our state taxes dropped dramatically but that was when we were still working and Oregon has a high income tax. For us is was better in Washington state by far. When I retired, the tax advantage of Washington state over Oregon became much less because of the lower income in retirement so I looked again at returning to Oregon but we decided to move to Arizona.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:58 AM

7,817 posts, read 3,411,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
You should be able to run your own analysis because the rules on state taxes on income, property taxes and sales taxes are easy to research and you should be able to estimate your own situation using those tax rules.

When we moved from Oregon to Washington state, our state taxes dropped dramatically but that was when we were still working and Oregon has a high income tax. For us is was better in Washington state by far. When I retired, the tax advantage of Washington state over Oregon became much less because of the lower income in retirement so I looked again at returning to Oregon but we decided to move to Arizona.

It is very complicated when you consider real estate. No way am I going to put a bridge between me and my job while I am still working; then, like you said why not stay in Oregon with a lower income and have more services available.

If climate change wasn't happening and I wasn't worried about water, etc. I actually really love Arizona (I'm originally from S. NV so I did used to love the desert). It just seems unrealistic now.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:45 AM

91 posts, read 73,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
However things can get a bit crazy at various limits as far as getting ss taxed …you can take an extra 1k out of an ira and see a marginal tax rate on that extra 1k of over 40% as ss taxes accelerate

https://www.kitces.com/blog/the-taxa...rate-increase/
I going to follow this guy. Thanks for the resource!

It looks taking out of my 401K to fund my kid's education and paying off mortgage will have big tax consequences if I take SS as well.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
You know, your better half can be a hermit in any state. Just sayin' .
This is true hermits are everywhere in the midwest! Moving the hermit and her crap is the challenging part across the country.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
People here in the Northeast will moved to the NC, SC or PA. I had friends that moved to Delaware as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement