Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 01:25 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,086,349 times

Advertisements

Being "salt sensitive", I no longer am able to eat any convenience of processed foods. Now prepare everything I eat from scratch so I know what goes into it. To compensate for the lack of salt, have had to up the amount of spices and herbs that I use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 01:26 PM

17,416 posts, read 16,579,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Anyone who shops the aisles of a grocery store is buying convenience foods. Canned foods are all prepped. Heat 'n Serve or not even heat.

How many people grow their own grain? Make their own bread every time? Grow their own animals for butchering? Grow all their vegetables and fruit? Milk cows for their dairy? Hunt and process their own turkeys for Thanksgiving?

We are a society of convenience, whether that's been thought about or not. Pre-made, ready-to-eat has existed for well over 50 years.

[mod cut - personal attack].
There is a difference between cutting up chicken, browning it, adding vegetables and then seasoning it with a pre bottled sauce or bottle of seasoning. No one I knows makes their own Soy Sauce but most people would consider a stir fry dish made this way to be homemade.

Picking up a pre made stir fry to heat and eat would be convenience.

Unless you have your own farm along with livestock and crops, you are going to be buying some things. Even back in the day, they bought salt to preserve their meat.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 06-12-2021 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-12-2021, 01:49 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,263,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Anyone who shops the aisles of a grocery store is buying convenience foods. Canned foods are all prepped. Heat 'n Serve or not even heat.

How many people grow their own grain? Make their own bread every time? Grow their own animals for butchering? Grow all their vegetables and fruit? Milk cows for their dairy? Hunt and process their own turkeys for Thanksgiving?

We are a society of convenience, whether that's been thought about or not. Pre-made, ready-to-eat has existed for well over 50 years.

[mod cut - personal attack]
I read the request as more "what can I make that takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and is healthy and tastes good". Maybe because that's what I would suggestions on!.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 06-12-2021 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-12-2021, 01:53 PM

18,150 posts, read 15,725,963 times
Convenience has only grown over the years. You don't even have to cut your own vegetables or fruit if you don't want to. A trip to a salad bar provides a full meal and then some. No time to eat a meal, there's meal bars to replace the 5 or 10 minutes it takes to eat. Don't even want to leave home? No need, ready-to-eat is brought to you as are groceries.

It would be more challenging to find people who make every meal from scratch than those who buy convenience foods or prepared meals or semi-prepared meals.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:15 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,727,992 times
To get back on topic, the OP is asking for simple to prepare meals that are needed during recovery from illness or from surgery.

It's hard to find good meals that aren't loaded with salt but with dh's recovery I've been getting him meals by Saffron Road. https://delishably.com/food-industry...r-Lunch-Dinner They're not full of chemicals and not high in salt either. I keep a supply in the freezer for him. Some are a bit too spicy but he really enjoys one that contains meatballs. His other favorite is called Lamb Saag, again from Saffron Road.

I also keep a supply of Amy's burritos on hand. Amy's foods are really good and nutritious.

Other than that, if I am out of the house and he needs to fix something for himself, a nice big sweet potato is easy to nuke, sliced turkey can make a good sandwich--add sliced tomato if you have some and/or some lettuce. Hard boiled eggs--just boil, cool, slice, and eat--can make deviled eggs some sort of egg salad if you want.

Smoothies--add some protein. I usually add some nuts--and then throw in frozen strawberries or blueberries, banana (or whatever fruit), some greens if you have then, leftover vegetables, and some milk and blend them. Makes an entire meal.

Oatmeal--he makes his own steel cut (not the flakes) in the slow cooker over night. Just spoon it out the next day and probably the next day too. Couldn't be easier and it's good for you too. Can top it with nuts or berries, add milk. Refrigerate it the next day and then nuke it to warm it up again.

A favorite easy recipe: cook some elbow macaroni, add chopped up hotdogs, frozen broccoli, chopped onion, olive oil. Heat and eat, hot or cold. It keeps well.

The freezer has been indispensable. I keep leftover cut up chicken pieces in there and for a yummy salad, it's some greens, chicken, thawed out strawberries and thawed out blueberries.
There are some decent frozen pizzas too and you can add chopped tomato and onion, and whatever else.

Get better, OP.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:23 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,384,589 times
i forgot to mention that we live near a Wegmans and they have those 3 piece entree meals you can buy from their prepared counters -- some are pretty good including the roasted salmon with 2 vegetable sides. Also I have found quiche to be a good "go to" for convenience and you can find it frozen or store bought. Add a packaged salad and some fruit and you have a complete meal. Of course I also like soup and lots of places sell prepared soup -- we have a good Greek restaurant nearby that sells the lemon chicken soup and my elderly mom used to love that.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:37 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,456,832 times
We are making a concerted effort to eat more fresh - non processed food in retirement.

There’s too much salt and fat in prepared lunches (even Lean Cuisine which was my go-to lunch when working).

We are also cooking a lot more at home - and NOT eating out as it’s way more expensive. Lots of vegie stir fry which is quick and easy - over rice. Here’s last night’s dinner:

https://www.cooks.com/recipe/r10tj5n...-zucchini.html

I do recall, however, if I were laid up and recovering from surgery - I would sign up for those instant /prepped meals. I also notice that many grocery delis are now preparing meals.

We actually are too far out - rurally - to benefit from the food delivery services. They won’t come here - which is a good thing because they are mostly fast food places.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:41 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,387,470 times
I prepare most meals from scratch but I also buy pot roast, beef stew, Korean chicken BBQ, carnitas, Tikka Masala, Yakisoba or similar Asian meals, etc. from Costco. The Costco prepared meals tend to be of higher quality than those in my local grocery store, but not the meals prepared directly by Costco but those from places like Morton's of Omaha. I look for meals or main entrees that are not too high in saturated fat or sodium. Then I add vegetables and noodles/brown rice/corn tortillas as necessary to make the meals more healthy. The Costco plain, individual frozen fish filets are convenient and I add my own sauce or seasoning. Sometimes buy packaged coleslaw/kale/shredded broccoli salads and add carrots or red cabbage. Low calorie fudgesicles and fruit bars are another prepared food item that I enjoy.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:49 PM

10,111 posts, read 6,455,115 times
The two convenience foods that I buy are a rotisserie chicken once a month or so from Wegmans, and very occasionally, a Cracker Barrel Macaroni and Cheese microwaveable single serve package. I love mac and cheese but the sodium content is too high so I stick to those. I've tried the Amy's Organic Mac and Cheese, because the sodium is less, but so is the flavor so I find myself adding shredded sharp cheese to compensate.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:54 PM

8,783 posts, read 5,080,500 times
Iwill just cook up a large boneless pork roast, or boneless chicken breast, and have it in salads or sandwiches for 3-4 days. Start the oven once, and that is it for days. It is easy to make a sandwich or salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement