Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 12:01 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe someone would rather pay $10 to have any old TV set at all -- even a bulky one -- than pay hundreds they may not have available for a modern flat screen? You won't know till you try!

(I still have not one, but TWO of those, so report back.)
Difficult to say.

First of all, an old bulky TV would never do what I do, have 12 or so DVD/VHS decks hooked into it for entirely closed circuit watching. Why, I could run my own broadcast network, simulated, if I wanted!

"Yeah, but Tamara, you're just weird!".....but am I, really, in this group, when I don't like what they give us on TV now and instead prefer watching what I like from all those decades before? Is that another illustration of being older and "Get off my lawn!"?

What size of TV is needed to enable us to enter into our own little world of watching?

Something else, too, to the bigger screen TVs....macro degradation. My grand aunt suffered from it, had a medium size box TV, and had to sit right at point blank to enjoy it. Does having a flat screen, big, help those of such to enjoy the TV.....especially when that may be all they have left?

On other fronts of downsizing. One of the arguments I constantly here, especially when directed my direction, is having so much stuff ...."that you are never going to use!". Well, hopefully, I will never have to use it but should there be a need, it's there.

I know, it some ways, that might be the Collyer defence
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers), of when he gets better, the other brother wanted him to be able to read all he had missed. So a few aspects to all of these.

A: For us to decide what falls in the Collyer defence and try to avoid being there. Newspapers, defence journals, old time specific magazines, and the like, I get rid off. Out to the box for the kitty litters.

B: Others may look at our stuff and may say we ought to get rid of "that" as well, but they don't live in our world moment to moment so they may not understand just how vital something is to us. They see things in their terms, not ours.

C: Perhaps I am paranoid but I have a sneaky suspicion when they say downsize, they are saying so more from the angle of what they will have to move when we are out of it.

D: Finally, I suppose there is a danger in being a Whovian.........how much space does a TARDIS have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
nope. I tried. My mom had an older big screen tube TV. No one wanted it. I tried selling, I tried donating to a charity, I tried giving it away. Ended up paying for haulaway service when she replaced it with a newer, smaller tv.

It's time to let go of the fantasy that there is someone out there who wants to buy whatever someone else is trying to get rid of. Article after article is being written about how difficult it is for people to clear out their homes to downsize or when a parent or grandparent dies, because no one wants this stuff.
Well, as I illustrated above, someone wanted that stuff..............they did. Let us enjoy the time we have left in our terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 06:48 AM

21,888 posts, read 12,991,949 times
TamaraSavannah, I would truly love to see your house.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:47 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
TamaraSavannah, I would truly love to see your house.
We-ll, I am still unpacking from my last move, still after 5 years. Part of it comes from a very busy life when I was on full afterburners and now, a busy life with a 3rd of the energy (before/now being a Type II).

But the main aspect is that I have my Parents' lives, my grand aunt's life, and then my life which for 10-20 years I was never allowed to catch up with to unpack and find places for it. When I begged for time to catch up with things, I was always told "You can do that later."........well, it's later and there is one heck of a mountain. To say nothing of being a Vampirelle (night worker) but day people who want your time believing "Well, you can always take a nap.".

And then, there are 7 cats running around who get away with murder........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement