Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 07:55 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,231 times

Advertisements

This may not be the appropriate subforum, but it seems closest.

We retired and moved to a smaller condo. Thus, we had some quality but surplus furniture. We wanted to give it to charity for the good deed and avoiding the hassle of dealing with selling it.

I was disappointed sadly with the hassles I got from the charities. This was not junk and I was not using them for cheap garbage men.

I call AmVets - and they demand I move the furniture into the garage. They won't come into the house. The rationale is Covid. However, we are vaccinated, we were masks if required. How are two old folks supposed to do that.

Call Salvation Army and have to wait a month. We have a dining room table, a nice bed frame with wood headboards - quality stuff but we don't need it.

Set up the appointment describing each item, get a confirmation noting each item. Confirm that they sent two guys who will come into the house to get it.

The truck arrive. The head guy first demands that we move the items to the front door. Then he says they cannot get the table out. Well, the movers got it in, so that's baloney. Some waving of hands and uproar, they finally agree.

Then they refuse to take the bed frame. I show them the confirmation. He insists they don't take mattresses and bed frames. I say not the mattress - just the frame. See the confirmation! Doesn't care.

I am a touch suspicious that they were looking for a little extra cash. Been down that way before. When my mom died, I had a charity come for her good furniture and all of a sudden the crew couldn't handle it. I said: How much and the guy said they were recovering and couldn't take money. I said $50 and out it went.

So I'm getting a junk man to get the frame as I have to get rid of it and I don't want the hassle of trying to sell or find another charity.

I'm down on charities after these experiences. I know I shouldn't be but they need to vett their staff a touch more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 08:07 AM

43,076 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Nobody is interested in old wood furniture anymore regardless of quality. Too clunky, too heavy, etc.

I got rid of mine (2 bedroom sets - no mattresses) about 10 years ago and went IKEA..simple, clean lines and very easy to move plus everything comes apart which makes for very easy moving.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:09 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
And I thought this thread was about getting smaller pieces of furniture...

Anyway, where I live, used furniture mostly ends up in the trash. It has to be really nice and ideally some sort of antique in order to have any resale value. Charities that do pickups typically do not want to deal in old furniture. It is just too heavy, too bulky, hard to display and of minimal value. Many people put their old furniture to the curbside several days in advance of the bulk trash pickup. Some neighbors might want it. Most of it just gets carted away.

Some people have trouble with this. They get attached to their stuff and think it should have value to others. So they store it in basements or garages until it deteriorates even further.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:18 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Although it has been some time since I used them, but Habitat For Humanity would remove most any, usable furniture.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:19 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,231 times
I understand the attachment problem. If that is the case that they don't want furniture, I wish they would have told me up front as then I could have had the junk man come and not wait a month for the rude folks to show up. They say they will take furniture.

Kind of a shame that everything is for resale nowadays. I see poor families on the TV that have crap furniture and they could have used these pieces. A little kid could have used a nice bed.

But that's the world. Sometimes, you just have not not to care. I recall during a heat wave, the local charity asked for fans for those who didn't have them. We had a hardly used box fan - NO, you have to buy them a new one. Forget it.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:35 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,998 times
This sounds like what we went through recently. Furniture had to be moved to garage (we’re elderly with infirmities). Wait a month to get on the schedule. Bring it yourself to the Habitat resale shop.

We ended up paying people a significant amount to take away perfectly good furniture. Really no one wants anything from 20+ years ago. My own adult kids don’t want any family stuff. They just don’t save things like those of us whose parents lived through a depression and a world war with rationing.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Although it has been some time since I used them, but Habitat For Humanity would remove most any, usable furniture.
Yes, we recently made a donation to them and they do send a truck, but you have to leave it outside for them. In a similar situation we recently got rid of our huge sectional, but it was pretty worn after 18 years, so we dumped it. My wife and I managed to get it into my truck and unload at the transfer station ourselves (2 trips) and we were 68 and 67. We just took all the cushions off before lifting, and where space allowed, dragged it with a folded up beach towel under to protect the floor.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:43 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,505,741 times
CraigsList.
Facebook marketplace
Helps if you live in growing metro area with young people moving into apartments.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:58 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Freecycle.
We just place items in the alley. Gone within a few hours.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:11 PM

896 posts, read 1,139,845 times
We recently gave away a club chair on Next Door. We posted a picture, and waited for people to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement