Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 11:45 AM

12,073 posts, read 8,472,699 times

Advertisements

The Sixties summers were such a hoot! All that youthful sense of freedom and promise.

My first job was hoeing in the bean fields. We had an old 40s-something Chevy pick-up, our new-fangled transistor radios, a watermelon waiting for us in the spring-fed gravel pit for when it got too hot to work.

Sunkist, lean and mean. Foot loose and fancy free and making one whole dollar an hour. Life was good.

I'm inspired to write a paragraph or two from each decade as even the most difficult ones had those "perfect times." It's a good thing or how would I have been able to keep going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 12:02 PM

3,298 posts, read 1,773,699 times
When I got of the Navy in '78 I walked into a job with a civil engineering company as an aid overseeing small projects at first, then managing the larger contracts. Bought myself a T-top 4 speed Z-28 Camaro, and got into business equipment sales then high end auto sales, bought my first house ten years later while still a bachelor then a few years later found the right girl and got married, bought, renovated two other homes way before "flipping houses" was a thing. Drove trucks after that. In '98 my son was born, and raised a very successful son. Things went very well until a distracted driver put me in a wheelchair four years ago. I had a good run. My attorney will see to it my family is well taken care of.
I always try to find the silver lining when misfortune strikes.

Old 10-04-2021, 12:48 PM

11,094 posts, read 6,686,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
When I got of the Navy in '78 I walked into a job with a civil engineering company as an aid overseeing small projects at first, then managing the larger contracts. Bought myself a T-top 4 speed Z-28 Camaro, and got into business equipment sales then high end auto sales, bought my first house ten years later while still a bachelor then a few years later found the right girl and got married, bought, renovated two other homes way before "flipping houses" was a thing. Drove trucks after that. In '98 my son was born, and raised a very successful son. Things went very well until a distracted driver put me in a wheelchair four years ago. I had a good run. My attorney will see to it my family is well taken care of.
I always try to find the silver lining when misfortune strikes.
Wow, impressive! You have a great attitude! And here I'm resentful because I can't squat or get on the floor anymore. I need your attitude adjustment. And your lawyer, lol.

My best years involved animals, which I miss now. Just not practical anymore.

Old 10-04-2021, 12:50 PM

11,094 posts, read 6,686,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
About being productive,
It probably means different things to different people.

Me I love having a huge garden.
Just having coffee in it and watching my chickens do their thing makes me feel good about my accomplishment.

I dig keeping bees and just give the honey away because if I sold it it would just be another job.

Taking my kayak out to set my crab pots and then supplying us a nice harvest makes me happy.
Keeping my yard nice does it for me too.

Work wise for money,
I never really loved my job even though i was very good at it and it paid well.
It was just a job.
It was always about making someone else happy.

I am so privileged that I now only have to make myself happy.
I love doing knick knacks just for myself be it gardening, foraging, hiking or farting around in the shop.
I love it because I do it for fun.
Working for wages was never fun for me.

Maybe I did that wrong.
That sounds idyllic. I sure miss my chickens, garden and kayak. Enjoy it while you can....

Old 10-04-2021, 04:02 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,518,118 times
Haven’t had them yet.
Still waiting; I’ll be dead by then

Old 10-04-2021, 04:49 PM

3,298 posts, read 1,773,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Wow, impressive! You have a great attitude! And here I'm resentful because I can't squat or get on the floor anymore. I need your attitude adjustment. And your lawyer, lol.

My best years involved animals, which I miss now. Just not practical anymore.
Thanks, remaining positive is a trait I picked up in sales. There's also something Harrison Ford said after the first Star Wars movie came out when the media kept pestering him asking if he believed in the force and I took those words to heart; "The force is with you if you force yourself." So that's what I did, I forced myself.

Old 10-04-2021, 05:01 PM

5,180 posts, read 3,793,422 times
Early adulthood was great but the best time for me was when all 3 of my kids were young. Was never really bad but that time was the combination of still being young and watching the kids grow up. Watching the grandkids grow up will be great too.

Old 10-04-2021, 05:22 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,219,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It never ever occurred to me that the best days of my life or the best times of my life were when I was 'productive'!!

So I disagree. For me, at least.

And thinking and stating that being 'productive' are the best times and the most important for most everyone (as in your two sentences above) is too presumptive.

Being productive is the last thing I would consider as being the best days of my life, there are too many other things that enriched my life made them the best days and the list is too long. One of the very best days however was when my oncologist told me I am cancer free. Everyday , even with the difficulties and challenges life throws is the best of days.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:34 PM

232 posts, read 145,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Sorry, your agreement isn’t required. It is a metaphysical fact and part of our basic needs as rational animals. Purpose and love are fundamental requirements, and people without one or the other are miserable wretches. Purpose means being creative and productive. It could mean a career, or creating art, or what have you. Man determines his purpose for being alive, and satisfies that purpose through effort, focus, and action. That’s productivity. Romantic love is also a basic requirement. We see our value primarily through the eyes of those we love and value. Love is a reflection of ourselves. Without that love, you are basically an invisible mass of protoplasm. Friendships and collaborations and sibling love and even pets accomplish this to a certain degree, but romantic love with a partner you cherish is the pinnacle in this respect.

Can you live without purpose or love? No. You can exist. But it’s not human life worth living. Purpose and love are mandatory. Otherwise, we’re basically plants.
I totally disagree. When you are on a deathbed you will know that all purposes are just nothing.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:30 PM

37,713 posts, read 46,140,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I was just listening to some energetic music to help motivate me in my house-cleaning project today. The song "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams came on, with the lyric "Those were the best days of my life."

I started to think (as I vacuumed), what were the best days of MY life? I came up with two best times. One was in the early to mid 90s, when I had a job I loved and was good at, my kids were grown and doing their own things, and my husband was healthy and so much fun. He and I ate out a lot, hung out with good friends, went to a lot of concerts and movies, and traveled a lot.

The other best time is now. I feel good, I have a wonderful relationship with my kids and my granddaughter, whom I see every day, and I'm enjoying life despite (or maybe because of) living alone.

What were/are the best days of YOUR life?
When my son was little. No question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement