Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 03:25 PM

7,139 posts, read 4,552,321 times

Advertisements

I loved my high school years. Then it was so fun going to college even though I was 31 with 3 kids and a awful husband. The next great time was in 1998 when my kids were grown and I was single. I met my third husband and we had a great time for a number of years. I am enjoying my retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2021, 03:37 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,422,618 times
College 1972 - 1976. Great friends who are still close today, not a care in the world.

Old 10-02-2021, 04:40 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I was just listening to some energetic music to help motivate me in my house-cleaning project today. The song "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams came on, with the lyric "Those were the best days of my life."

I started to think (as I vacuumed), what were the best days of MY life? I came up with two best times. One was in the early to mid 90s, when I had a job I loved and was good at, my kids were grown and doing their own things, and my husband was healthy and so much fun. He and I ate out a lot, hung out with good friends, went to a lot of concerts and movies, and traveled a lot.

The other best time is now. I feel good, I have a wonderful relationship with my kids and my granddaughter, whom I see every day, and I'm enjoying life despite (or maybe because of) living alone.

What were/are the best days of YOUR life?
Every day I wake up and still exist is the best day of my life. There are only so many left and I know it. But in general, the best days in our lives are when we were or are very productive, and have people in our lives who love us, ESPECIALLY a romantic partner.

Romance and productivity are the keystones of a successful human life. In any culture. At any time. It's the nature of our species.

Old 10-02-2021, 05:13 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I think they were all good, even the bad. But now is the best.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-02-2021, 06:22 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

But in general, the best days in our lives are when we were or are very productive

productivity are the keystones of a successful human life. In any culture. At any time. It's the nature of our species.
It never ever occurred to me that the best days of my life or the best times of my life were when I was 'productive'!!

So I disagree. For me, at least.

And thinking and stating that being 'productive' are the best times and the most important for most everyone (as in your two sentences above) is too presumptive.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:21 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,063,422 times
Two stand out.

The first was when I was a co-op student in ATL. I was either working, cycling or playing volleyball. There were always churches that offered drop-in nights to play and many of the girls were au pairs from Denmark, Sweden, Norway, etc. I didn’t make a ton of money but, I didn’t have any debt either. I also didn’t have the pressure of school. I absolutely loved living. And the girls.

“Now” is almost as good. Yeah, we lost our precious vizsla Parker but, in a week, we’ll pick up one of his nephews, to be named Bosch. We’re building a home which, while stressful at times, is coming along nicely. Life is very comfortable and while we know things can turn on a dime, hopefully we’ll weather any storms that come our way for at least “now”.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:23 PM

206 posts, read 240,903 times
I have had so many wonderful times throughout my life. But if I were to pick one period it would be now. We can do what we want, whenever we want. We live beneath our means and want only for good health and good weather. This country has given me more that I deserve and I know that every day. I can never repay all those who have come before me and sacrificed so that I can have the standard of living I and my family enjoy. God Bless America.........

Old 10-02-2021, 08:34 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
In the late 80’s through out the 90’s raising my kids was as good as it gets so far.
My business was booming, we went boating every weekend, took vacation every 6 or so weeks and my kids thought I was the smartest person in the world.

I just now retired and am still blessed with my wonderful family.
We did ok financially and now we get to bounce back and forth to a couple of nice places.
We like to cook, garden, do outdoorsy type things and travel.

I am totally fine right now and love where I’m at in life but if I could just once again trick my kids into thinking I was the smartest person in the world I would be “King of the World” .

Old 10-02-2021, 09:09 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,993 times
I met my wife on Valentine's Day of 1976, we got engaged on Easter Sunday, 1976, and married over the Bicentennial weekend. She died on December 19, 1976.

Up to the day of her death, those were the best times of my life.

Old 10-02-2021, 10:20 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I met my wife on Valentine's Day of 1976, we got engaged on Easter Sunday, 1976, and married over the Bicentennial weekend. She died on December 19, 1976.

Up to the day of her death, those were the best times of my life.
Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement