Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 06:05 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I think one thing that you guys need to explain about apps is that they don't appear to be a one time purchase but that you have to rent them.......right?
most are free.

There is no way I would pay for an app - lol

Now the free versions like Weather Underground are full of ads - but who cares

I am not going to update to the paid version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 07:37 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,137,886 times
shazam

radioparadise

Old 12-10-2021, 08:11 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I use two free audiobook apps that work through my library (need a library card): Overdrive and Hoopla. You can download a book to your phone for several weeks. I have hearing aids so it uses bluetooth and transmits to my hearing aids. The apps also have many e-books to download. I also have a Kindle Fire tablet with Hoopla on it.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:01 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
Spotify for music. I use it on my tablet so I'm guessing it's available for smartphones. I like that I can create my own playlist, unlike Pandora.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:43 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I use two free audiobook apps that work through my library (need a library card): Overdrive and Hoopla. You can download a book to your phone for several weeks. I have hearing aids so it uses bluetooth and transmits to my hearing aids. The apps also have many e-books to download. I also have a Kindle Fire tablet with Hoopla on it.
Seconding Overdrive to take out ebooks from libraries. I also use Libby and Kindle apps for reading those ebooks.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:15 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I have hearing aids so it uses bluetooth and transmits to my hearing aids.
Off topic rant = anyone find it strange that we now have really fancy earbud headphones that have multiple mics for direction noise canceling, custom sound profiles, waterproof, long charge, bluetooth, phone calls, tap controls, etc. for $100 but a good pair of hearing aids can easily be several thousand dollars?

Imagine the margins they must be working with on hearing aids compared to ear buds, and I'm surprised an earbud headphone company hasn't tried to dive into the hearing aid market with a combo product. Charge people a few hundred bucks, everybody wins.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:22 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
That was a nice, simple explanation of the steps to download and use apps. Here are just a few apps that I find especially useful:

Pedometer. Instead of a Fitbit, this serves the function of tracking my exercise. It records and displays the basics such as distance in steps and miles and average speed of walking. There are more advanced apps for tracking physical activity but this does all that interests me.

Life 360. You can track on a map the movements of family members who also have the app and give permission. Rather than make a phone call, I can check to see that my wife is shopping or has been delayed at the doctor's office, etc. She can do the same with me.

Memo. I use a memo/note taking app for all sorts of information, mostly hobby related. The information files are easy to organize and search.
We use this app too! Some of our friends think it's weird, that we use it to keep tabs on each other, but it's not that at all. It's so I can look at the app when he's late from work and see "oh, he's at the boat club, he's fine". I personally want someone to know where I am or the last place I've been in case something happens. If I hit a deer and knocked unconscious on one of the dark rural roads I used to take in my last job, I'd know he could find me.

If anyone has any issues moderating their time online (I do on this site!) I use an app called Liberate that is a life saver. I can block only this website for instance for 30 minutes or for many days at a time. It's a free app.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:43 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I think one thing that you guys need to explain about apps is that they don't appear to be a one time purchase but that you have to rent them.......right?
All the apps I mentioned are free except Netflix. I already subscribe to Netflix for my TV viewing, so there's no additional cost to use it on my tablet or phone. Many apps have a free version which may have ads, and paid versions without ads. But the cost for many paid apps is a onetime fee of a small amount, like $3.99.

Last edited by TheShadow; 12-11-2021 at 07:59 AM..

Old 12-11-2021, 07:49 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,310,772 times
I'm using a Motorola G6 Android phone
What I need it for:
text messages
phone

The apps I mostly use:
Google Chrome
maps
camera

My favorite and most fun app:
SkyView and Star Walk

I don't use the phone for any kind of media viewing, I have a TV with a Roku for that. I use my desktop computer for games, and (best of all) annoying other people on the Internet.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:59 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times
Flush Pro - Restroom locator. The older I get the more useful it becomes.

Local 360 - As mentioned, it works well for checking where friends and family are without having to call or text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement