Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 03:08 PM

7,149 posts, read 12,697,623 times

Advertisements

If he is, then your definition of retirement might be

Twice the Husband for Half the Money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 05:12 PM

24,683 posts, read 11,023,362 times
SO is retired once. At least for a deer season then I asked him to please please find something to do. Now he can retire again when he wants to. WFH and no work related travel seems like bliss and retirement to me. Coffee in bed with two furries, generally lunch served in the kitchen, IT support and kitty privy maintenance on site, personal shopper, voice access to Amazon, happy hour after hot tub, ... . And a pay check.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,766 posts, read 58,200,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
If he is, then your definition of retirement might be

Twice the Husband for Half the Money.
Wife always says... Polygamy is backwards, takes more than 5 'retired' husbands to check off her 'to-do' list (mandatory daily before food is issued, or the lock and chain is removed from fridge).

Get-out-of-MY-kitchen rings out mightily. (Until a lot of stuff gets done). Normal for me, as living on a dairy farm meant you ate AFTER you milked (and only if you had time).

Eating and sleeping is kinda over-rated anyway, and at this age we have little time to waste doing that.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:15 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,317,093 times
Unfortunately, yes. He is watching the Leader of our Opposition addressing the Press Club prior to Saturday’s federal election.
You would have to be retired to think that is worth watching.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:25 AM

106,898 posts, read 109,156,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Wife always says... Polygamy is backwards, takes more than 5 'retired' husbands to check off her 'to-do' list (mandatory daily before food is issued, or the lock and chain is removed from fridge).

Get-out-of-MY-kitchen rings out mightily. (Until a lot of stuff gets done). Normal for me, as living on a dairy farm meant you ate AFTER you milked (and only if you had time).

Eating and sleeping is kinda over-rated anyway, and at this age we have little time to waste doing that.
Actually polygamy is to many wives and monogamy is to many wives

Old 05-18-2022, 09:59 AM

2,362 posts, read 621,066 times
My husband retired from a government LE job in January 2013 - he was 53 - He immediately got his RE license and work hard with that - he started following me in my promotions by 2015 - he was volunteering with a Church Camp and became President of the board of directors - by 2018 he was involved in replacing old/broken septic for the camp - We moved back to Texas - and he spent most of his time 9/2018-11/2019 in AZ at the camp finishing up the septic issue there. He got his TX realtor license but kept going back to AZ for DR appts, to check on rentals we have now and working with folks buying and selling in AZ. I am retiring in 4 1/2 years at age 62. Hopefully then we can travel some more often than we do now. One daughter is nearby now - but all others are in TN, AZ and NY - grandkids in NY, KS, MO TX and my sisters and mom (87 y.o); are in MI and Brother in OR - I want to visit family some of the time and overseas other times.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:46 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,264,285 times
The best years of my life were when my husband and I were both retired.

We had about sixteen years of joint retirement before he died. Those were the best.

There are so many jokes about wives whose retired husbands are a nuisance (eg Wife to Husband: I married you for better or worse, but not for lunch.)

But for people who sincerely love and respect each other, there is no better time than just the two of you, living your dreams together.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:08 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,819,412 times
Lillie767, so agree with you ! So sorry for the lost of your mate .

As I may have shared numerous times, Bruce was disabled (short term memory loss), age 40. Hospital, doctors; when we Finally moved to a lower COL state, ages 47, we developed a routine. Still doctor visits, not as often.

He puttered around the house, so enjoyed the riding lawn mower, I would be out and about in the morning, Afternoons, errands, short trips. Remember after his passing, went to the local hardware store. The clerk asked, "Where's your husband?" Her face became sad, when I told her he had passed. We were always there together.

Good reminder, for me too. Appreciate what you do have; so miss the daily sharing, Bruce's quirky sense of humor, companionship.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:39 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,990,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Unfortunately, yes. He is watching the Leader of our Opposition addressing the Press Club prior to Saturday’s federal election.
You would have to be retired to think that is worth watching.
Your comment cracked me up!!

It's interesting to read comments from wives about husband behavior in retirement. Keep them coming!

Old 05-18-2022, 02:53 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,768,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
There are so many jokes about wives whose retired husbands are a nuisance (eg Wife to Husband: I married you for better or worse, but not for lunch.)

But for people who sincerely love and respect each other, there is no better time than just the two of you, living your dreams together.
I agree, these sexist clichés never sit well with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement