Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 09:00 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times

Advertisements

A favorite candy you liked to get? A costume you wore? A tradition your family had? A school memory?

A fun and funny time or a disaster. Pranks you played.

What are your memories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 09:08 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,051 times
There was no trick or treat or pumpkins when I was growing up in the uk. We carved a turnip lantern , hung a witches ball by the window and did have parties with games, Apple bobbing and sharing of ghost stories, but it was not a big commercial holiday back in the day.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:28 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
My sister had Chicken Pox one Halloween. I was told to go out by myself, and then come home and divide up the candy. While I was a bit disappointed by the turn of events, I was not mad at my sister, as it was not her fault she had Chicken Pox. I walked the usual route; I did not leave the neighborhood in an attempt to get more candy. A few neighbors gave me an extra piece of candy since my sister was home sick. I thought this was really nice.

When I got home, I immediately started to divide up the candy, being sure to equalize both quantity and quality. I did not give myself a Snickers and a Reese's Cup, while giving my sister a box of raisins and that sugar-free gum that gives you flatulence. After I was done, I saw that I still had a good haul of candy, despite having had to split it up.

Perhaps this was a predictor of the future; that when our parents died, the estate would be divided fairly without the animosity between my father and his sister when their parents died.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:43 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
Nothing. I've hated Halloween since I was a kid, still do.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:03 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Nothing. I've hated Halloween since I was a kid, still do.
Believe it or not.....I feel that way about Christmas, except for the religious part. I find Christmas to be very stressful.....parties, the food, gift giving. So much to prep for, just for one day. And the Christmas carols...

Old 10-10-2022, 08:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
When our son (now age 35) was about 7, we started a tradition of playing a joke on him that lasted until he stopped trick or treating. I would always manage to sneak rock into his bag before he got home and checked his haul. He was in his 20s when I finally fessed up. He always thought some neighbor had been doing it.

Old 10-10-2022, 10:58 AM

487 posts, read 323,572 times
Halloween was one of the greatest nights of the year when I was a kid. Free candy! I didn't have any special costumes or anything like that. My favorites were the Snickers, Milky Ways, 3 Musketeers and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Those "fun sized" bars have gotten smaller over the years.

When we got old enough to drive, a new level of mischief was possible. We would go out and egg or water balloon the other kids. One time we got pulled over by the cops, who had reports of a car like ours egging other trick or treaters. We tried to hide eggs under the car seats. Well, the cops searched our car, including under the seats! I don't know they missed them, but they didn't find any of the eggs and we were on our way again!

Old 10-10-2022, 11:03 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,644,982 times
A man down the street had a Coca Cola bottling plant. He gave out small battles of Coke.

Old 10-10-2022, 11:12 AM

137 posts, read 119,332 times
One of our neighbors was a carpenter and built a haunted dollhouse he would put on his porch. He would stand on the other side of the dollhouse and you would have to stick your hand through the door to get either your trick or your treat! It was absolutely hilarious and something I'll never forget.

Old 10-10-2022, 12:11 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
I've got 4. I'm not a Halloween person at all, but I'm glad I have some fun memories.

1. My brother dressed as a mummy in the early 1960's. My dad tore sheets into strips and wrapped them around my brother from top of head to toe. He could hardly move. Worst Halloween of his life!

2. When I was in 7th grade my church held a haunted house party in our 7th grade Sunday School classroom. It was a progressive line in which you were blindfolded in the darkened room and when you got to a certain station you would get the eyeballs in your hand which were actually grapes.

3. My 2-yr old son in his little red devil costume complete with pitchfork and the way he spoke when people opened the door. I repeat the phrase to him every Halloween. We both still get a kick out of it 33 years later.

4. My kids in their homemade costumes which I slaved over for 48 hours straight before Halloween. He was a pirate and she was a princess. That was the last year I made costumes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement