Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 12:19 PM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times

Advertisements

It is no secret who owns America's wealth. The age 55+ is the wealthiest age cohort, of course. It is more wealthy now than ever before.

Sorry for this funky cell phone pic - I "paused" the TV and took a cell phone pic of the TV itself.

The source is listed as Michael Clinton, a contributing author to Esquire Magazine. Clinton's most recent book is ROAR: Into The Second Half of Your Life https://www.amazon.com/Roar-into-sec...134/ref=sr_1_1. ROAR is an acronym for Reimagine yourself, Own who you are, Act on what's next, Reassess your relationships.

Clinton was interviewed about the implications of affluent 55+ cohort. There has been a boom in formation of new companies who design products and services targeting the Older American. There are even Venture Capital funds exclusively investing in, for example, concierge services for the older person, as the forecast for the number of truly elderly people is expected to grow exponentially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 12:22 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
As well they should be. Ever play Monopoly? Same principle. Winners end the game with much more money than they started with. If you end the game broke, well then, you suck at the game.

Old 10-26-2022, 12:30 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Right. That is an age group that has spent a lifetime working, saving for retirement, paying off their homes for 40+ years.
You are supposed to have more savings at that age because that is what you will be living off for the rest of your life.

Businesses would be foolish to ignore that.

Old 10-26-2022, 12:38 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
It is getting a lot tougher for the young to be solidly middle class, especially if they do not have a useful college degree. The upper class is growing in number but the middle class is shrinking. The American Dream is slipping away.

Our political leadership is failing the population.

That said, most responsible, hard working people will have much more wealth on the last day of their working lives than on the first day. It is common sense that someone who has been earning a living for 35 years and investing money for 35 years, would have more money than somebody just starting out.

Old 10-26-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It is getting a lot tougher for the young to be solidly middle class, especially if they do not have a useful college degree. The upper class is growing in number but the middle class is shrinking. The American Dream is slipping away.

Our political leadership is failing the population.

That said, most responsible, hard working people will have much more wealth on the last day of their working lives than on the first day. It is common sense that someone who has been earning a living for 35 years and investing money for 35 years, would have more money than somebody just starting out.
I don't even know that it's true that it is so impossible today for younger people to become solidly middle class. It's never been easy to start out in life.

If you spend your money on dream/destination weddings, fancy 2 week long honeymoons to exotic locations, Brazilian Butt lifts, $100 manicures, Gender reveal parties and other extras INSTEAD of putting money away into your 401K, paying off your student loan debt and saving up for a down payment on a house, you are going to have little to show for it.

It used to be common for new grads to share inexpensive rentals with other new grads. Now they not only have to have their very own apartments, it's got to be in a sought after "hot" neighborhood. If you blow all your money on a fancy city loft rental of course you will have nothing left to put towards a down payment.

I didn't take a trip out of the country or a cruise until I was in my 50's. I had no money for that. But it is now common these days for young people to have traveled extensively all over the world, yet they complain about how they can't afford their own student loan debt. Priorities are mixed up.

Old 10-26-2022, 01:30 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
A new born has nothing and depends on the parents to feed, cloths and shelter as the new born grows. At some point the new born does things for then selves and finally leaves the nest, gets a job and supports then selves. The assets they accumulative depends on how well they can perform services for others and how well they manage their money. You would think the older they get the better they would do.

Old 10-26-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
A new born has nothing and depends on the parents to feed, cloths and shelter as the new born grows. At some point the new born does things for then selves and finally leaves the nest, gets a job and supports then selves. The assets they accumulative depends on how well they can perform services for others and how well they manage their money. You would think the older they get the better they would do.
They either figure that out or they are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Old 10-26-2022, 01:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
This is why I'm still working at age 70. After working so hard to get to this point where I'm at my peak income, it's hard to give it up. I'm at 3 times what I made starting at this place in 2009. I'm expecting another 10% increase in March, so my plan to retire next year may get another delay so I can enjoy that for a while. It's odd that we make so much more after the kids are grown and on their own, and expenses are so much less. It helps to build up the retirement accounts to supplement the pension, but I'll still have a considerable drop in income when I retire.

Old 10-26-2022, 02:36 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
No mystery there. Anyone who earns more than spends will have progressively more $ in savings and investments as he or she gets older.

Old 10-26-2022, 02:42 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
The title is peculiar. "Age 55+ is the wealthiest age cohort." So you are comparing everyone from 55-100+ with everyone age 0-54? And are surprised that the older people have accumulated more money?

People age 0-10 have the least money. The 11-20 group has more. The 21-30 group has more than them. And so on, and so on. Although I do think net worth drops off for the very elderly who have been living on their retirement savings for a few decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement