Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 10:04 AM

2,868 posts, read 1,815,510 times

Advertisements

IF you lived in your childhood home till you moved, do you ever want to return for old times ? Good memories, not so pleasant, whatever reason, or let the past be the past ?

Acknowledge, times have pass, it won't be the same. Sorta a farewell ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 10:09 AM

6,883 posts, read 4,893,903 times
I would love to see inside it now to see how it looks compared to my childhood memories.

Old 02-18-2023, 10:29 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,182,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I would love to see inside it now to see how it looks compared to my childhood memories.
I've wondered that for the longest time; then a year or two ago got curious and looked up my old childhood home - and saw that it was for sale.

Thanks to everything being online now, I got to see all the interior & exterior photos that the realtor put up.
It was interesting to see what had & hadn't changed in 40 years.
It didn't feel like "home" - those childhood memories just live in my head now.

Old 02-18-2023, 10:29 AM

4,513 posts, read 5,063,429 times
I lived in several different houses growing up but my folks finally bought a house when I started high school. Moved out at 17 to join the Army and only visited a few times after that. When my Mother said she was going to put my 2 brothers and me on the deed I said I didn't want my name on it , give my part to the other two. That's what she did. I never went back there after she died and my youngest brother ended up with it. He finally sold it. I doubt that I'll ever visit that town again. Never missed it after I first left.

Old 02-18-2023, 10:41 AM

8,784 posts, read 5,080,500 times
I drove by the childhood home that by father built, by himself. It was very depressing how the people living there have let it go down hill. The fence around the yard is falling down, and the once beautiful yard is a mess....happy mom an dad never saw it that way.

Old 02-18-2023, 10:56 AM

899 posts, read 674,278 times
I think I used to want to see it. However, I went to that town many times since leaving and saw how much it changed over the years so it destroys the illusion that I'd be stepping into a time machine or something.

True story: my brother lived in a nifty house near the Mississippi river. He reached a point where he felt like he could either pay large sums for upkeep, since it was an older place, or buy someplace new. He elected to move. Just a few years ago, his grown son was in the market for a house. Guess what came on the market and what he bought...the old homestead.

Old 02-18-2023, 11:10 AM

5,252 posts, read 3,617,096 times
We moved from my childhood home (rental apartment) to a suburb when I was 8yo. I lived in rentals all over the US for my adult life until I bought, at 50yo, an apartment one street over from that childhood one.

I had absolutely avoided looking at anything in my old neighborhood for the couple of years I was searching because returning "home" just seemed depressing. But on a one-off, after looking at another place nearby, I stopped to check out an apartment advertised at the right price, etc.. and immediately I knew it was "the one".

After some time living here I wandered around to my childhood address more than 40 years later, and it was abandoned - plywood over the windows & doors, and this was the only house like this on a block full of neatly kept two-family brick houses... so sad.

But it has been occupied for many years now & looks good after their reno. There wouldn't be anybody around I knew since my time there in the 1950s. The suburb that we moved to that I lived in 1960-1975 also has nobody left that I would know anymore, although I barely keep in touch with a few old friends living in other areas now.

The blue-collar nabe I grew up in now is increasingly full of young professionals as well as lots of first generation Latino & Asians, articles increasingly name it as one of the 10 Best neighborhoods to buy. My former suburban town which was entirely blue collar families back then is now a highly desirable $800K average home sale price, I believe we paid $18K.

Old 02-18-2023, 11:13 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,970,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Go on realtor.com. you might find inside pics of the house from the last time it was up for sale. I did.

You can always see outdoor pics on Google Earth/Maps.

Old 02-18-2023, 11:14 AM

518 posts, read 627,886 times
I have very warm memories of the apartments I grew up in and have Googled a couple of them to see whether they look the way I remember them. The answer was, no, they do not; they are completely different so all I have left are my memories of the way they used to be.

Old 02-18-2023, 11:17 AM

36,444 posts, read 16,047,179 times
I google earthed my childhood home, it's 2 stories now! Not interested in seeing the interior. My Dad and I moved the cursor around saying so and so lived there and...just got in touch with the next door neighbor from the 50's. I babysat their 2 girls and one got in touch with me and my brother, interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement