Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 09:22 AM

7,875 posts, read 3,857,419 times

Advertisements

How long, on average, do people live in Assisted Living? In Nursing Homes?

I asked ChatGPT, a popular AI. I was surprised at the answer. I expected a larger number.

Here's what it said:

Quote:
The length of time a person lives in assisted living can vary greatly depending on various factors such as their health, age, and the level of care needed.

However, on average, men tend to live in assisted living for around 2.3 years, while women tend to live in assisted living for around 3.2 years. This is according to a study by the National Investment Center for Seniors Housing and Care (NIC) which analyzed data from over 1,700 assisted living communities in the United States.
Regarding Nursing Homes, I asked the same thing:

Quote:
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the average length of stay in a nursing home is around 835 days, which is just over 2 years and 3 months.
Does this match your expectation & experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 09:41 AM

106,779 posts, read 108,997,702 times
no one knows since stats are a generation old .

that is why insurers are getting crushed by claims with far more usage already and boomers are not even in that sweet spot yet . which is why no one knows

my dad was 5 years

Old 04-08-2023, 09:46 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,211,969 times
No one in my family has ever gone to a nursing home (yet).

Old 04-08-2023, 10:02 AM

17,349 posts, read 11,305,123 times
Do more research and you will get very different results about what the average stay is in a nursing home. This gives a very different answer with 53% die within 6 months. Women average about 8 months, men average 3 months. Remember these are averages. Some can linger years and others die within a few days. This is from the National Library of Medicine.
Personally I wouldn't trust the CDC with providing unbiased facts but that's me.

"Results: The mean age of decedents was 83.3 ± 9.0; 59.1% were female, and 81.5% were white. Median and mean length of stay before death were 5 months (interquartile range 1-20) and 13.7 ± 18.4 months, respectively. Fifty-three percent died within 6 months of placement. Large differences in median length of stay were observed according to sex (men, 3 months vs women, 8 months) and net worth (highest quartile, 3 months vs lowest quartile, 9 months) (all P <.001). These differences persisted after adjustment for age, sex, marital status, net worth, geographic region, and diagnosed chronic conditions (cancer, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, lung disease, heart disease, and stroke).

Conclusion: Nursing home lengths of stay are brief for the majority of decedents. Lengths of stay varied markedly according to factors related to social support."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20738438/

Last edited by marino760; 04-08-2023 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-08-2023, 11:00 AM

19,830 posts, read 9,392,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
How long, on average, do people live in Assisted Living? In Nursing Homes?

I asked ChatGPT, a popular AI. I was surprised at the answer. I expected a larger number.

Here's what it said:

Regarding Nursing Homes, I asked the same thing:

Does this match your expectation & experience?
Paternal grandfather -- lived in own home, then one month in nursing home (not ALF) before dying at age 92.

Paternal grandmother -- lived in home, then six weeks in nursing home (not ALF) before dying at age 92.

Maternal grandfather -- died of heart attack at age 79 -- no kind of nursing home or ALF stay

Maternal grandmother -- lived in own home, then died in nursing home at age 85 after being there for 18 months.

Mother still living in her own home at age 90.

Father died at age 57 in hospital (cancer).

However, I did have one second cousin who spent seven years in a nursing home, but I had two great-aunts who lived to their 90's and died in their own homes.

So averaging the above nursing home stays, the total comes to 104.5 months, for an average of just over 26 months per person. (The seven-year stay really messed up the average, obviously.)

My expectation is that I will die in my own home as my husband and I would literally rather kill ourselves than end up in a nursing home. I just wish that they would offer some kind of support to make the decision to end one's life when there is NO hope of ever having a good quality of life again. Of course, that would be strictly voluntarily with a protocol to go through to prevent anyone from forcing "suicide" on an elderly relative, and that the intent that this would be the wishes of the person would be written and then witnessed by two impartial parties.

And, yes, I know that this would not be acceptable to many other people, but I believe in personal choice.

Old 04-08-2023, 11:32 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,730,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Paternal grandfather -- lived in own home, then one month in nursing home (not ALF) before dying at age 92.

Paternal grandmother -- lived in home, then six weeks in nursing home (not ALF) before dying at age 92.

Maternal grandfather -- died of heart attack at age 79 -- no kind of nursing home or ALF stay

Maternal grandmother -- lived in own home, then died in nursing home at age 85 after being there for 18 months.

Mother still living in her own home at age 90.

Father died at age 57 in hospital (cancer).

However, I did have one second cousin who spent seven years in a nursing home, but I had two great-aunts who lived to their 90's and died in their own homes.

So averaging the above nursing home stays, the total comes to 104.5 months, for an average of just over 26 months per person. (The seven-year stay really messed up the average, obviously.)

My expectation is that I will die in my own home as my husband and I would literally rather kill ourselves than end up in a nursing home. I just wish that they would offer some kind of support to make the decision to end one's life when there is NO hope of ever having a good quality of life again. Of course, that would be strictly voluntarily with a protocol to go through to prevent anyone from forcing "suicide" on an elderly relative, and that the intent that this would be the wishes of the person would be written and then witnessed by two impartial parties.

And, yes, I know that this would not be acceptable to many other people, but I believe in personal choice.
I have similar statistics, going back 3 generations on my mother's side - no members went in a facility. Ditto on my father's side. The average age of death of the women in my family on both sides is 87! The average age of death of men - 60! All had cancer or disease caused by smoking (lung cancer, emphysema).

On my husband's side, the only one who entered a facility was my MIL - 5 yrs with dementia. Otherwise, she was very healthy. Asking around showed the average age of death was 82, going back 4 generations! Hopefully, we will take after our relatives!

Old 04-08-2023, 11:34 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,231,064 times
ChatGPT is a language model created to hold a conversation with the end user. A search engine indexes web pages on the internet to help the user find the information they asked for. ChatGPT does not have the ability to search the internet for information. So, I wonder what validity or faith one ought to put on ChatGPT's responses.

Old 04-08-2023, 01:44 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,236,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
ChatGPT is a language model created to hold a conversation with the end user. A search engine indexes web pages on the internet to help the user find the information they asked for. ChatGPT does not have the ability to search the internet for information. So, I wonder what validity or faith one ought to put on ChatGPT's responses.
This reference librarian’s opinion:not much.

Old 04-08-2023, 01:49 PM

106,779 posts, read 108,997,702 times
all that matters is if it’s you or your loved ones and how long you need to pay

Old 04-08-2023, 02:09 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times
I saw a stat from Northwestern Mutual that said once in a nursing home, about half stay at least 1 year, while 21% live there for almost 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement