Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 08:48 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times

Advertisements

My 59 year old morbidly obese, smoking sister had a major stroke and ended up in a nursing home, where she lived in hell for 9 years.

Assisted living, for recovering fully and returning to one's home is the only thing I'd do...if I could afford it. I'll do anything and everything I can to avoid a nursing home. That's not living, and it's worse than dying, from what I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 11:43 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,362,566 times
My brother is in a nursing home. In June 2023 it will be 4 years.

Old 04-10-2023, 12:32 PM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
one can see from the answers here it doesn't matter what stats suggest when its you or your family it happens to

Old 04-11-2023, 07:34 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Let's focus on ALF and do a hypothetical.

Let's say hypothetically someone wants to be able to have the resources for self-pay for 10 years in an Assisted Living Facility. Yes, a person might not need that - or might need more. But just for sake of discussion let's say 10 years in ALF.

Let's say the person is 65 years old today (2023).

Let's say the person expects to enter ALF at age 75 (2033).

Let's say the person targets an ALF that today charges $6,000 per month ($72,000 per year).

10 years from now, what will the ALF charge per year? Hard to say, and hard to say adjusted for inflation.

But if we guess it will raise prices by 5% per year, then come 2033, when the person is 75, ALF will charge close to $12,593 per month ($151,125 per year), continuing to go up each year:
The price doesn't only rise due to raising costs across the board though. Cost is dependent on level of care. When my mom moved in, she did everything herself, including taking her own meds. So her cost was about $3300 a month. But the person across the hall who needed help for showers and meds might pay $4800, and the person next door who needs help with all ADLs and needs to be wheeled to the dining room, might pay $8000 a month. My mom was pretty much total care the last year and her costs had risen to over $9000 a month because of that care level, but others in the facility paid much less.

Old 04-11-2023, 03:04 PM

88,590 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
My 59 year old morbidly obese, smoking sister had a major stroke and ended up in a nursing home, where she lived in hell for 9 years.

Assisted living, for recovering fully and returning to one's home is the only thing I'd do...if I could afford it. I'll do anything and everything I can to avoid a nursing home. That's not living, and it's worse than dying, from what I've seen.
I had a cousin, same age as me, didn't smoke but was morbidly obese. Had blood clots in her lungs, couldn't walk, after the last time she fell, her family put her in a nursing home. She was 55. Died at 61.

Both my grandmothers died in the same nursing home, 26 years apart. One was 83 when she died. I don't remember how long she was there. A year or two? The other went in at 92 when she needed more care than my then-71-year-old mother could do. She was there for 2 and a half years. It was five minutes from home, and family visited both grandmothers frequently. Nearly daily. Both grandmothers lived with my parents for a few years before they got to the point of requiring nursing-home level care.

My grandfathers both died at home, as did both my own parents.

Old 04-11-2023, 03:13 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The price doesn't only rise due to raising costs across the board though. Cost is dependent on level of care. When my mom moved in, she did everything herself, including taking her own meds. So her cost was about $3300 a month. But the person across the hall who needed help for showers and meds might pay $4800, and the person next door who needs help with all ADLs and needs to be wheeled to the dining room, might pay $8000 a month. My mom was pretty much total care the last year and her costs had risen to over $9000 a month because of that care level, but others in the facility paid much less.
How did she qualify to go into assisted living if she was capable of living independently? What grounds did you use to qualify her to move into that facility?

Old 04-11-2023, 03:20 PM

88,590 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
This brought back a memory of my friend's mother, who went into assisted living when it became apparent she was in the early stages of dementia. She was 90 when she went in, 92 when she died, and her dementia never advanced so far that she did not know her daughters. But she was also mobile and quite spry until near the end, and she would look at other residents of her ALF lined up in their wheelchairs and say, "Look at all those deadbeats. I'm supposed to hang around with them?"

Not something she would have said in her younger days!

Old 04-11-2023, 03:52 PM

7,830 posts, read 3,829,904 times
Quote:
The price doesn't only rise due to raising costs across the board though. Cost is dependent on level of care. When my mom moved in, she did everything herself, including taking her own meds. So her cost was about $3300 a month. But the person across the hall who needed help for showers and meds might pay $4800, and the person next door who needs help with all ADLs and needs to be wheeled to the dining room, might pay $8000 a month.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
My mom was pretty much total care the last year and her costs had risen to over $9000 a month because of that care level, but others in the facility paid much less.
What year was that?

Old 04-11-2023, 03:59 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,534,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
life insurers can pretty much tell us how many of us will die a year and to them it means a lot to know .

but since they can’t tell us who will die , those numbers mean very little to each one of us .

there are going to be people on the wrong side of a statistic always and without knowing if it’s us ,we need to plan like it will be

no one expected my dad to have a stroke and end up fully paralyzed and unable to speak ….

most of the time he didn’t know who we were .

he spent 5 years in a home impoverishing his wife
Very sad.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:59 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Do you think the percentages will change or just that the number of boomers is just higher?

The other thought, are we healthier than earlier generations because we have more info and better preventative care? Can we plan better to try and avoid going into assisted living or a nursing home?
IMO, not really. I’d even argue that a healthier life increases the odds that you eventually end up in a home, because you can outkick your body’s coverage. If you did at 80 it’s more likely you were still physically able to dress yourself, drive, have your mental faculties…at 90 that’s less likely. It’s only anecdotal but in my family and my wife’s family this plays out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement