Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 06:01 AM

4,549 posts, read 2,272,518 times

Advertisements

My husband is retired and I have 4 more years of work. We are interested in moving to another country for retirement because it makes sense financially. The cost of living in Florida just keeps increasing and home owners insurance is through the roof. We have done our research and are planning a boots on the group trip next year so that we can make an educated decision. We have 5 grown boys between us. 3 live in Florida but are all at least 2 hours away. One lives in NC and one lives in VA.

I am interested in hearing from others that have decided to retire away from your grown children. How did you kids handle the news? How often did you travel to see them? Did they ever come see you? How was it when your children had children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 06:16 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
A group of us were just discussing this, both of the parent moving away and from the child moving away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
How did you kids handle the news?
The kids all handled it well, as they know anyone can move at any time for their jobs too.

Quote:
How often did you travel to see them?
Most visit once a year, pre- and post-COVID.

Quote:
Did they ever come see you?

Quote:
How was it when your children had children?
THAT was the game changer. Grandparents like to see their grandkids more than a few days a year.

Where were you considering retirement?
Some place close to an international airport is far different than the remote jungles of Peru.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:29 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
The cost of living in Florida just keeps increasing and home owners insurance is through the roof.
The desire (need?) to get out of Florida is one set of Q's..
Leaving the country to maybe save a few nickles on rent is a whole other matter.
Quote:
My husband is retired and I have 4 more years of work.
We have 5 grown boys between us.
How many grands? How young?
Quote:
How often did you travel to see them? Did they ever come see you?
If the money is strong then airfare and time off for the extended travel to make visits worthwhile isn't a cost issue.
Without the deep pockets though and/or other relationship conflicts...

Old 08-03-2023, 06:33 AM

901 posts, read 686,016 times
We have grandchildren and are near one set and not the other. Thinking of buying something very cheap down by the other children and splitting the year. No way would I ever leave the country unless they all came with us.

In our experience, with young children, they do not come to visit you, you go to visit them. Covid was horrible, cut off from the far aways because of travel restrictions.

Honestly wish that was not my answer, as we are not crazy about living in either of the states they live in.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:47 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
I think that if you move far away and to a different country, you do so with the realization that you will not be seeing your kids very often unless you choose to travel back to the states to visit them. That isn't because your kids don't want to see you, it's because plane flights are not cheap and flying with young children is going to cost both money and time that they quite possibly do not have.

I, personally, would look into moving to a lower cost of living area in Florida that is more inland and less at risk from hurricanes or even closer to my children in a more affordable area.

Old 08-03-2023, 07:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
We're planning to move farther away from our daughter and grandsons, and also from our son and granddaughter. Still, we will be within hours of both, and closer to some other relatives. The young adult kids have potential to move father away, to another state for their work, so it's not sensible for us to stay in an expensive area in a big house, when we can downsize, pay cash and will have plenty of time to make the drive to see them when we want. Leaving the country is similar but you are trading a drive for needing passports and a flight, and that can be expensive for you and for the family if they go to see you.

Old 08-03-2023, 07:36 AM

774 posts, read 1,049,553 times
We thought about retiring overseas but chose not to for a variety of reasons:

1. Medical Issues. We both have a variety of issues and are mostly happy with the doctors we have now. I didn't want start over from scratch with all new doctors and specialties.

2. Grandchildren. My daughter and grandson live with us. My son and granddaughter live about 2 1/2 away, so we get to see both of them pretty frequently. My son is also engaged and his fiancé also has a daughter. All three are just over a year apart in age.

3. Neither of my children are well off. I figure any savings I'd get by moving would be offset by the cost of air travel back and forth, with us paying to go see them and probably paying for them to com see us.

Last edited by djplourd; 08-03-2023 at 08:07 AM..

Old 08-03-2023, 07:44 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
A group of us were just discussing this, both of the parent moving away and from the child moving away.

The kids all handled it well, as they know anyone can move at any time for their jobs too.

THAT was the game changer. Grandparents like to see their grandkids more than a few days a year.

Some place close to an international airport is far different than the remote jungles of Peru.
Yes, it can go both ways. My kid lived in China for more than a year, but I don't think she ever intended for it to be longer. I don't know, though. She might decide to head for the other side of the planet again someday.

I was living in and in the process of moving to Ontario, but that fell through with the death of my fiancé, and Ireturned to my home in NJ. Daughter moved last year to Pittsburgh, a city about six hours away by car, an easy drive.

I always intended to leave NJ, but now I don't know where to go. Daughter would like me to come to where she is, but I don't know 'bout that. Would have to visit the city more before I made that leap.

My situation differs from most on here in that there is no "we", just I, and there are not and never will be grandchildren.

I could become a wanderer...

Old 08-03-2023, 07:56 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
We are over 2500 miles away, the kids were good with the decision. It's hard on my husband but we see them, every year or two. I know he would like to be closer, but they are busy with their lives any way.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-03-2023, 08:05 AM

4,549 posts, read 2,272,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

We have no grandchildren yet. Only 1 or 2 of them seem like they might. I guess that is subject to change.

We plan to live near a large international airport in Panama City, Panama and it's a 3 hour flight to Orlando and like a 4 hour flight to NC.

We would plan on coming back to the states at least once per year and the cost of that would not outweigh the savings by moving there. We only see the children that live in NC and VA once per year now. All of our friends, except for our neighbors, have left the area so we will be starting over regarding friends anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement