Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 09:06 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
Who needs to avoid getting kicked out of house by the spouse?
one of the doctors at the medical center where i worked retired the first time and his wife made him go back to work because she was still working and she didn't like that he was retired and she wasn't. So the second time he retired, was after his wife retired. She was an attorney, and she made him go back to work a second time because she didn't like having him around the house now that she was retired. It's hilarious the way he tells the story. So when i met him he had already retired twice, and both times his wife made him go back to work. He was in his 70s by then. He said every time he came back he got a better job each time, because the medical facility missed him and they were trying to get him to come back to work and kept offering him more money and better jobs. after retiring twice they made him a department head. He is a great doctor too, and great problem-solver and all-around nice guy. I moved away to a different state. I wonder if his wife finally let him retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 07:51 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Tzaphkiel - this sounds familiar. SO pulled the plug at 40. He enjoyed a great deer season. Then he got bored. Underfoot all the time bored.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:34 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
A retired co worker called me up the other day. The call started off with comms going be down for a few days, our check in system, but somewhere in the course of the phone call, he commented about "if I knew then what I know now, I would have never retired.". He didn't go into it and I was tied up with the work thing of the day to pursue it..........................BUT.................

...............................are there common things that people run into retirement that makes them regret it?

I am sure there are issues like money, loss of feeling useful, unable to see faces, even those you detest, everyday, perhaps even boredom..............

..............but are there other things that those of still working don't realize awaits for us once the Big Gold Watch falls?
This same question has been asked on this forum many times. My answer is always the same. People that are unable to figure out how to make themselves happy, ALONE, will probably be a candidate for a miserable retirement. If you are unable to make your own self happy, without relying on some other person(s), then keep working. I've posted this before, but it says it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGsW...Rinehart%2CCPA

Old 08-11-2023, 10:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
This same question has been asked on this forum many times. My answer is always the same. People that are unable to figure out how to make themselves happy, ALONE, will probably be a candidate for a miserable retirement. If you are unable to make your own self happy, without relying on some other person(s), then keep working. I've posted this before, but it says it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGsW...Rinehart%2CCPA
Thank you.

Did watch it. Now, putting that big elephant in the room, money that is, aside......

One of the things in my fantasy worlds meeting reality is "What did she (Night Gallery: The House) do during the day, each day?" "What does Lalla Ward do each day?" Now, the good thing is that since I don't drink anymore, at all, I have to approach each 16 hour day with a clear head, on this plane of existence and further, I won't be binging on TV either, for various reasons.

Thank god I don't drink anymore because retirement would be a time without schedules, no detox times to be here or there and as such, with any sort of a thirst for alcohol, that could be a disaster.

Now, there is at least one schedule one should have, one should enforce and that is taking care of their pets. Further, it could help if at least some are indoor only so the morning routines don't slip. Not all of his pets are.

The comment in the video about watching the News is probably a big issue that pushed this thread. My coworker was and I imagine is still very right wing and if one is exposed if not drenched, because now they have so much time, in the news feed, that could be hell. Could he had seen that coming? Hard to say but he did retire in the pandemic year of 2020.

Am I facing that? I hope not and for 3 big reasons. First, as a Renaissance Lady, I can shift my view to what I see. That is, for example, I don't fret about the Texas State House but worry about what I can do for Texas animals. Secondly, I have a very powerful fantasy life that doesn't need drink nor drugs to bring it into play. Said another way, it helps how I can see myself each day. Third, I have a retirement to be environment which supports such.

Now, could the government come and take it all away? Always, unfortunately, possible but hopefully, my fantasy life would find a way to find a peace.

The concept that we ourselves are responsible for our happiness can put one in an interesting paradox with an external world that seems so focused that one should downsize and declutter. As a Renaissance Lady, my life has been one of doing a lot and a lot to show for it, sort of like 007 (George Lazenby) looking over his tokens and remembering the adventures he got them on (OHMSS). (youtube title: 007 resigns from MI6). Just noting it here, really not arguing it either way here.

All that analysis aside, is there a big element, if it wasn't big would we notice, that those who have retired have discovered that they didn't see before?

Old 08-11-2023, 10:24 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapiron65 View Post
I'm happy and content being retired these 5 years now I don't have any plans or desire to be an employee or, business owner.
I have 8 years before I am eligible for retirement and I am already thinking about my next career, lol. I couldnt imagine not working.

Old 08-11-2023, 03:05 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I have 8 years before I am eligible for retirement and I am already thinking about my next career, lol. I couldnt imagine not working.
I imagine it and live it every day. Life without going to work is wonderful, for me at least.

Old 08-11-2023, 05:30 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
You mean working for a monthly salary? I know plenty of retirees who continue to work but on their own terms as committed volunteers and many retirees who live fully engaged, meaningful and active lives without working in a salaried job.

Old 08-18-2023, 03:54 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Just occurred to me this morning of maybe what he meant. The co worker he was with for so many years, talked so much with, died 6 months after his retirement and about a month after the one in question.

A similar thing happened to my Mother when my Father was in a nursing home dying in that she "looked forward" to that when this was done, she would travel with a dear friend, a widow of a close friend of the family.........only for her to suddenly die while my Father was still on his last days. In Mom's case, though, she had her other friends, her garden, her pets, me.

Bummers......

Old 08-18-2023, 05:03 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,511,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Oh, you mean like seeing the same silent face every single day and daydreaming about all the other places I could explore if it wasn't 118°F out?

Just to prove how pathetic I can be, the exterminator who comes around once a month flirts with me. I really really look forward to that.
LOL...When I go to the garden center, the cashier flirts with me; she gives me discounts and leans over and shows her ample cleavage; she's not bad looking for her '60's. She's barking up the wrong tree...I finally told her I'm gay at the last visit when she asked if I had a girlfriend; I haven't been back since to see if I still get a discount.

Old 08-18-2023, 12:40 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
I’m happy being retired, However
BH is still his glowering grumpy self.
So wish he’d get over himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement