Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 03:46 PM

844 posts, read 418,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, I'm retired so I definitely have the time. I don't have the money to travel AS much as I would want, but yes, I travel a lot! And it is definitely NOT the same!
Nobody says it is.

That's the thing, how much preparation & cost to visit a city in, say Ireland? How would you even know you will enjoy going? How many cities/ countries around the world can you afford to do this?

Before you say the "R" word, that's what YouTube is a part of. Before you commit the time & money and drag your husband to go out there, it's a fast & easy way to check out a city first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 03:49 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
Nobody says it is. But it's a fast & easy way to check out a city first.
True! How many international cities have you checked out via you tube, before you visited and how did they compare?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-20-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
True! How many international cities have you checked out via you tube, before you visited and how did they compare?
Actually I did it the other way around. I traveled to cities THEN I watched YouTube videos about the cities

In general, I think the YouTube videos captured the key attractions but obviously I've been to part of city not shown in the videos.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:50 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
Personally I have been to Europe 6 times and every trip was wonderful. Nothing like standing in a centuries old church or palace or seeing the beautiful countryside. Of course I can’t see everything so YouTube videos would be good to view the places I will never get to but definitely not the same. It’s also nice to eat the local food of the countries I visit.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Personally I have been to Europe 6 times and every trip was wonderful. Nothing like standing in a centuries old church or palace or seeing the beautiful countryside. Of course I can’t see everything so YouTube videos would be good to view the places I will never get to but definitely not the same. It’s also nice to eat the local food of the countries I visit.
How do you like the French & German food when taste in their own countries?

Personally I tried them in the state, let's just say I'm not a fan.

Old 08-21-2023, 03:35 AM

8,345 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
Just watch YouTube. It takes you all over the world.
Yeah, I should have never fallen in love, but just watched a movie about that :-). And I should have never bothered to earn any money, but could have just watched Bill Gates on You Tube :-).

Old 08-21-2023, 06:21 AM

8,345 posts, read 4,375,272 times
I tend to prepare in detail for my travels, but what I expect never, NEVER, matches the feel of the place when I actually get there. After I returned from Nepal, for a while I had in my head two different Kathmandus: the one I constructed in my head from reading and watching videos before the trip, and the one I actually physically visited. It seemed like thinking of two different cities. But the first one faded eventually, and now when I read about Kathmandu (or watch a video of it), I am vividly transported again only to the real Kathmandu.

That is why I now do only some cursory reading about the place where I'll travel, just to come up with a list of major things to see. The rest I leave to direct experience. But after that, I love to read in detail, and watch videos, about places where I have already been. That is why I wish I had been to more places in my 50s, particularly because, immediately after my 50s, I lost 3 years of foreign travel during my prime traveling age of 60-63, due to the epidemic .

Old 08-21-2023, 07:01 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
What about TV? Does one become a syndicated daytime TV junkie when they retire?

Something I dread given how cut up, washed down those shows are but given how my parents raved about Doris Roberts when they recognized her in "A New Leaf" (the only place I would know her from) because she was in "Remington Steele".....and I figured they must have been watching syndicated TV.

Don't want to end up like that!

BUT......does one fall into that trap, or a Net junkie, because they now have more time to do so?

Old 08-21-2023, 07:07 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Does one become a syndicated daytime TV junkie when they retire?
Only if you choose to become one.

Old 08-21-2023, 07:21 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
A note to the Given that started this. I have reached out to him to joining me on a common activity we both enjoy. Even willing to pay the monthly fee, drive him, if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Only if you choose to become one.
Well, like any addiction, I don't think that is a good enough answer for must we avoid that kind of forest by avoiding all the trees?

That is, how many ways are there to draw someone in, from pure boredom to being polite company for someone already hooked (or having to watch the kids) to "Let's get Aunt Tammie satellite TV! She'll love it!" to whatever else?

Must we put ourselves on a strict regime to avoid such or is that doomed to failure because, "I am retired now! I don't need to follow rules!".......and there is the addiction, waiting to spring its trap.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 08-21-2023 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement