Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 05:11 PM

979 posts, read 538,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I find it hard to believe 49.5% have saved zero for retirement. If so, yikes!
I dont find it hard to believe at all. There a lot of lower income people where I live that just live paycheck to paycheck with nothing left over to save. IMO the situation is going to come to a head in about 30 years and we will see thousands of retirees living in government housing. That or lots and lots of multi generational households.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 06:02 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
I dont find it hard to believe at all. There a lot of lower income people where I live that just live paycheck to paycheck with nothing left over to save. IMO the situation is going to come to a head in about 30 years and we will see thousands of retirees living in government housing. That or lots and lots of multi generational households.
I think you are right about expansion of government housing, not just for retirees, and not just for people in generational poverty. Starting with the Millenial generation, it appears that vast masses of people in the US simply can't fathom how to live without somebody else taking care of them. In the past, the expectation was that you leave mom and dad, and then fend for yourself; now, you either never leave mom and dad, or after you leave them, you expect the government to assume the role of mom and dad.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:12 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Probably a lot of them have decent sized pension and SS checks. We did a round about with this on another thread where it was debated whether or not a guaranteed future monthly pension could be considered an asset or not.
Not likely - the average pension is about $22K/year (Pension center data) and the average SS check is about $22K/year (SS data) - barely above poverty and certainly not decent sized.

A pension is certainly an asset, but not really something to include in a net worth calculation.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:15 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
So that would exclude real estate, off shore holdings and pensions. Hmmm.
Actually the item that is missing that really should be included is investments / savings outside of retirement accounts.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:51 PM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
We are well above in retirement savings than this cohort, still work and our plans in retirement are not a big departure from what we do now.
Leopards don't change their spots.

Old 08-12-2023, 07:46 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
An interesting article on retirement with 5M -

https://www.wsj.com/articles/heres-w...erica-1abc76d9

In the pattern for these articles, the WSJ features vignettes for a selection of people that fit the focus criteria. It begins with a graphic that was somewhat revealing to me (mainly as I don't look at these stats often) - only about 3.2% have retirement savings of 1M and more and only 0.1% have retirement savings of 5M or more.

The vignettes feature:
  • 65 YEARS OLD - PAUL SHEMWELL - Single. Annual spending $144K. 6.1M, recently retired. "...hasn’t mapped out a flight plan for what comes next.
  • 61 AND 60 YEARS OLD - JAY AND ANITA MYER. ANNUAL SPENDING - $130K. 4.2M. "...decision to retire early was partly inspired by his stepfather, a small-business owner who enjoyed traveling and spending time with grandchildren.
  • 72 YEARS OLD - HENRY HWU - ANNUAL SPENDING - $250K - Still works. "...Hwu travels up to three months a year, visiting his 98-year-old mother in Taiwan or exploring Scotland, France, Germany, Japan and Switzerland.
  • 80 AND 75 YEARS OLD - BOB AND PAT FREY - ANNUAL SPENDING - $220. “We have more money than we can spend in our lifetimes.”

One of the takeaways for me is that people who accumulate substantial retirement savings the old fashioned way do so by living modest lifestyles in their pre-retirement years. And, their spending habits do not change dramatically when they retire. Some of them still work for satisfaction. We are well above in retirement savings than this cohort, still wor
k and our plans in retirement are not a big departure from what we do now.
I made it as far as the former pilot goes. Not included in the numbers are military retirement (very likely officer), retiree benefits such as Tricare/Tricare for life for him/spouse, airline retirement including free flight for him/immediate family. Is he a designated examiner or FAA instructor on the side? He could easily have lived on his retirement and saved/invested the airline check.
Three perfect click bait examples.
49% have no retirement savings?

Old 08-12-2023, 10:09 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Actually the item that is missing that really should be included is investments / savings outside of retirement accounts.
Yeah, there is a lot missing from that number. I have seen retirees living on modest pensions, in paid off homes and doing work on the side like dog sitting.

If/when they go to sell their home, their home would sell for 700K+.

People like that almost always have money in CDs or T-bills or even squirreled away in a cookie jar someplace.

Old 08-12-2023, 01:14 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
An agenda. There's always an agenda behind these stories of dire poverty in retirement.
What agenda? Trying to drum up sympathy for gov't programs or something?

Old 08-12-2023, 01:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
I find it hard to believe 49.5% have saved zero for retirement. If so, yikes!
Quote:
I dont find it hard to believe at all. ... IMO the situation is going to come to a head in about 30 years and we will see thousands of retirees living in government housing. That or lots and lots of multi generational households.
Add to the 49.5%, those with savings under $100k (somewhat immaterial to a 30 yr retirement plan) and you're up to over 80% retiring with under $100k in retirement 'savings'.

Not that the $5m examples are very common (or very wise / relevant) examples of spending in retirement.
WSJ is obviously very short on 'news'. (What was the value of this article to their readership, except "Hey, I'm not so bad" back-patting )

Within the 8 retired, of 10 rural neighbors... we are all as different as can be in our careers, family, glide-path, and retirement spending.

So many options and lifestyles.
That's good.

Ironically, over 1/2 of us have been traveling overseas (more than once) already this yr. As there are plenty of reasons to stay home! (nice view, quiet, plenty to do, very CHEAP (except for property taxes).)

Wonder how many of the $5m retirees are cutting firewood, picking their own produce and drying / canning
and storing food for the winter.

Hope they're really happy! Life is drawing very short.
You may get your final call yet today.

If $4.99m left in retirement spending acct AFTER I'm gone? Someone (else) will have a wonderful time. My last rites will be well under $1000, and Poof, I'm GONE! Yippee!

If $499,000 remaining... Yippee!

If $0.05 remaining... Yippee, I made it to the end (debt / burden free).

Old 08-12-2023, 02:07 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
They'll be living in your backyard in "Effing Crappy California".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement