Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 05:56 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,937,011 times

Advertisements

Nice place!
It reminded my wife and I of our first home (~900 Sq ft) of nearly 45 years ago. Purpose built as Senior Apartments rather than a conversion of an older Apt / Office / Mn'fg building.
The vibe felt like that of a College Dorm, with residents exchanging greetings and schedules through open doorways and in the halls.
LOTS of planned optional activities.
The apartments are for Independent Living seniors over age 55. She is 60, making her one of the youngest there, but better than commercial apartments where she was 35 years older than other residents, and subject to 25%+ rent increases each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 06:03 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I hope she settles in nicely and is happy there.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:50 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,524,581 times
There are some nice Independent Living senior apartments. You have all sorts of activities that you have the option of engaging in right there in the building and you can retreat to your nice, quiet apartment when you need some time to yourself.

I wouldn't necessarily want that lifestyle at 60 but if your SIL is happy being among the youngest there then that is the important thing.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:58 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I would think, that at her age, it would be about continuing friendships with one's peers outside the building. Just because she's in with the oldsters doesn't mean that has to be her world. It's just her place to come home to, and one that's rent-stabilized, mercifully, so she won't have to worry about moving when she's 80. That's a great blessing. She can be grateful for what she has, while continuing to live as per her usual. Hopefully she still has friends around town, and things she likes to do, out and about. Often those senior apartment complexes are well-located and walkable to grocery stores, etc., too.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There are some nice Independent Living senior apartments. You have all sorts of activities that you have the option of engaging in right there in the building and you can retreat to your nice, quiet apartment when you need some time to yourself.

I wouldn't necessarily want that lifestyle at 60 but if your SIL is happy being among the youngest there then that is the important thing.
My S-I-L suffers from cognitive foginess as result of adult on-set epilepsy, and the drugs necessary to control it. This condition has severed most other friendships, so the opportunity to create new friendships with those also experiencing physical slowdowns could be a boost for her. Plus, the emergency pull cords in every room is a HUGE safety boost should she have another seizure.

Less expensive, safer, more residents closer to her age (although older), and the opportunity to participate in lots of planned activities while msintaining an independent lifestyle should all be good things for her.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:56 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
My S-I-L suffers from cognitive foginess as result of adult on-set epilepsy, and the drugs necessary to control it. This condition has severed most other friendships, so the opportunity to create new friendships with those also experiencing physical slowdowns could be a boost for her. Plus, the emergency pull cords in every room is a HUGE safety boost should she have another seizure.

Less expensive, safer, more residents closer to her age (although older), and the opportunity to participate in lots of planned activities while msintaining an independent lifestyle should all be good things for her.
She sounds like she would definitely benefit from living in that environment. There are usually a handful of younger people living in senior living apartments and they are generally suffering from some sort of physical/mental slowdown and it works out very well for them to be there. It's far better for them to be there than sitting around in a house isolated somewhere because they are still "young".

There are young 80 year olds and old 55 year olds. People age at different rates.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:59 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,373,540 times
My mother lived in an independent senior apartment from about age 85 until her death at age 93 (in Tucson AZ). At first she wasn't so happy, having lived most of her life in a suburban house. But after she got accustomed to the new surroundings and got to know some of her new neighbors, things went well. They had a lot of activities at her apartment complex as well, as well as a good dining hall where she normally went for a big lunch meal. I ate there many times as a guest myself, and the food was better and healthier than in most restaurants.

Roger, good luck to your SIL.

Old 08-24-2023, 11:25 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
It sounds like a good answer to SIL's needs, best wishes.

Old 08-24-2023, 03:49 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Is she funding it with proceeds of the sale of her home, or does she have other assets to pay for it? It sounds expensive (although you say less than some alternatives). Asking out of curiosity for myself. They are apartments, right? Not townhomes?

Old 08-24-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Is she funding it with proceeds of the sale of her home, or does she have other assets to pay for it? It sounds expensive (although you say less than some alternatives). Asking out of curiosity for myself. They are apartments, right? Not townhomes?
SSDI income only. Her monthly rent in this Senior facility is ~$900, much less than commercial apartment rentals of similar size which are ~$1400/month in the same city. Plus, most standard apartment complexes are not as nice. Her complex is not new, but was purpose built as apartments for Seniors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement