Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 01:10 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times

Advertisements

I was going to post this in electronics forum but decided to post it here because we (retirees) are the major group being targeted

https://cordcuttersnews.com/scammers...yourself-safe/
Quote:
Increasingly, scammers are targeting cord cutters by putting fake customer service phone numbers online. Cord cutters searching for how to call popular services like Netflix, Fubo, and more are not finding the phone number to the service but a scammer’s number. From there, the scammers try to charge them for customer service or get them to sign up for services they don’t need.

If you want to cancel or make changes to a subscription, make sure you’re getting the information directly from the company’s website. This might seem like a given, but phony websites can look pretty real. Instead of Googling how to cancel the subscription, visit the provider’s website and search for its FAQ. This also goes for finding a company’s customer service number. Scammers can pose as customer service representatives to steal your credit card information.

GO TO COMPANY'S WEBSITE and NEVER GOOGLE SEARCH FOR CONTACT INFO!

There was an email mail-list from the Digital Goddess Kim Komando last week that also talked about other search terms to avoid:
⚠️ Exposed: 3 dangerous search terms to avoid at all costs

https://www.komando.com/issue/expose...-costs/893025/
Quote:
1. ‘Free credit report’

Use: 2. ‘Tech support phone numbers’

I tracked down all the Big Tech tech support phone numbers you might need, as published on their websites: Amazon: 888-280-4331; Microsoft: 800-642-7676; Apple: 800-275-2273; Google: 650-253-0000 and Meta (Facebook, Instagram): 650-543-4800.

3. ‘Free people search’

Use:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 04:36 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Thank you for posting this, and I wish I knew it several years ago. I was a victim of ID theft some time ago, through a fake customer service phone number posted on an extremely well duplicated fake website. It ended up well, because the credit card carrier refunded me the $700 that was fraudulently charged, and I obtained a solid ID monitoring, something that I should have had in the first place. But it was a tremendous hassle, and I have no measurable credit score any more (which is fine because I don't envision taking any loans, but it could really hurt people who depend on borrowing). My credit is now frozen and locked.

Old 09-04-2023, 05:27 AM

1,097 posts, read 646,023 times
That's good advice. I use Google to search because often it is faster. The key is to know how the address line works. For example the address line for this thread shows:

"https://www.city-data.com/forum/retirement/3436232-scammers-targeting-cord-cutters-know-how.html"

If you ignore the first bit up to the first two slashes you are left with:

"www.city-data.com/forum/retirement/3436232-scammers-targeting-cord-cutters-know-how.html"

Now the part that is important is IMMEDIATELY in front of the first slash. In this case it is "city-data.com"

If it said anything other than city-data.com you would not be on city-data's website.

So if I search for city-data phone numbers, one of the results is:

"https://city-data.pissedconsumer.com/customer-service.html"

In this case, you are on the "pissedconsumer.com" website, not the "city-data.com" website.

Last edited by akrausz; 09-04-2023 at 05:35 AM..

Old 09-06-2023, 05:50 PM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times
I never click a link in an email and I check the email address and IP said email came from. There are some obvious things that scammers do.

No telemarketer can get through to me, as only people on my contact list can ring through. The rest get sent directly to voicemail, and many of those end up getting blocked altogether.

Old 09-06-2023, 06:27 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,221,686 times
Useful link. What, however, makes the point specifically applicable to cord cutters?

As for identify theft - we don’t subscribe to any protection service. We do, however, have a permanent credit freeze with 3 main credit rating agencies. [Need to do it a couple more what have sprung up.] Someone does have my wife’s identity details and applies for credit cards in her name all over. But, they all get rejected due to lack of credit reports. I’d highly recommend that strategy.

Old 09-06-2023, 06:30 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
One key to that type of scam is if they ask you for credit card info. Because the streaming service already has your billing info. NEVER give out credit card or SS# over the phone.

Old 09-07-2023, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
We do, however, have a permanent credit freeze with 3 main credit rating agencies. [Need to do it a couple more what have sprung up.] Someone does have my wife’s identity details and applies for credit cards in her name all over. But, they all get rejected due to lack of credit reports. I’d highly recommend that strategy.
Thanks definitely looking into that.

Old 09-07-2023, 09:40 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,221,686 times
You have to pay a fee to the companies for a permanent freeze but it is small. And, if someone needs your credit report - you'd unfreeze it for an hour or too and refreeze it.

I am not happy with the freezing / unfreezing functionality as it allows anybody, not just the party you wish to have your credit report, to pull the report during the interval the report is unfrozen. But, that's what's on offer.

Old 09-08-2023, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
You have to pay a fee to the companies for a permanent freeze but it is small.
None of the big three charged me a fee.

Old 09-08-2023, 03:47 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,358 times
I locked my credit with the four agencies, and was not charged a fee either in the beginning or when I've had to temporarily unlock/re-lock my credit, which is not a difficult process.

It's free to freeze and/or lock your credit, and it's the only way I feel safe. I've been involved in several PI breeches, so get free credit monitoring as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement