Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 04:13 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,231,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
In the process of doing some online research for potential new providers when my PCP retired a couple of years ago, I discovered many sole practitioners had the following statement under the accepted insurance tab: "We do not accept Medicaid". Even some group practices had this disclaimer, as well. MediCARE not really a problem, other than the occasional "Not accepting NEW Medicare patients". Even Medicare Advantage was more widely accepted than Medicaid.

I would hate to have to rely on Medicaid coverage, but I suppose it's better than having no coverage at all.
Could be why most medicaid people just go to the emergency room...maybe they can't find doctors ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 07:41 PM

14,929 posts, read 12,130,043 times
I think it has something to do with ever decreasing reimbursement amounts.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:57 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,371,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's great in NJ, I had the same coverage when I was out of work during Covid that I had before. In fact my policy number didn't even change. And I paid zero premium for it, vs $700 a month I was paying when I was working.
So if zero premium, someone else is paying for it - essentially on assistance.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:57 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,541,791 times
or it had to do with 3 yrs of covid when people didnt go to drs, didnt have tests and procedures or surgery. saved medicare a chunk of change.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:00 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Could be why most medicaid people just go to the emergency room...maybe they can't find doctors ?
No, people who go to the ER for non-emergent reasons are people with no insurance at all. There are plenty of places that take care of Medicaid population, including teaching hospitals affiliated with med schools. There are community hospitals and physician practices in some economically depressed parts of the country where Medicaid is almost the only kind of insurance that the hospital or physician group ever sees - if they didn't take Medicaid, they would have no patients at all.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:13 PM

746 posts, read 494,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
You are right about expansion of Medicaid. Over 82.3 million people in the US are on Medicaid (almost 1 out of 5). About 33% of Medicaid covers people of working age after Medicaid expanded from 100% to 138% federal poverty level, as opposed to 14% when it was covering only 100% fpl and below. About half of Medicaid recipients are children and 42% pregnancies/births in the US are covered by Medicaid. Only 10% of Medicaid goes on covering disabled people and destitute seniors. People on Medicaid do not pay anything for health insurance.

But without Medicaid, people who now use Medicaid would have no insurance, would be just showing at ERs for free non-emergent care, and you'd be still paying for them in some way, and would be paying more than to support Medicaid (since managing non-emergencies through ERs is very expensive, plus overwhelms the ERs, obstructing the actual emergent care for which ERs are designed).
Actually that's not accurate. There are spend downs in all States which mean you can pay for health insurance to spend down to medicaid level of 1385 of the federal poverty level. Your health insurance is billed first, then medicaid picks up the remaining balance.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Yes, there are more kids on Medicaid but more money is spent on nursing home bills for fewer people.
Paying for kids on Medicaid is money well spent for a future healthy population.
Somehow I doubt kids growing up on Medicaid are the future healthy population. Such a high number of kids on Medicaid (ie, over 40 million) is an indicator of the fact that many people aren't capable of supporting and raising kids but are nevertheless having kids.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
Actually that's not accurate. There are spend downs in all States which mean you can pay for health insurance to spend down to medicaid level of 1385 of the federal poverty level. Your health insurance is billed first, then medicaid picks up the remaining balance.
Federal poverty level refers to annual income, not to spending anything down. Not sure what you are talking about.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:59 AM

50,724 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

It depends on the state. My brother was on Medicaid from ages 62 until he turned 65. He loved it, he said he got great care. He was upset when he had to enroll in Medicare at 65. States determine themselves who to cover, how much to cover, how to deliver care, and how much providers are reimbursed. I would imagine it's better in blue states than red.

To that other poster, illegal immigrants do not qualify for Medicaid, period.

Old 09-07-2023, 11:00 AM

50,724 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
So if zero premium, someone else is paying for it - essentially on assistance.

Yes, taxpayers. Of which I have been one for 42 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement