Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2023, 06:20 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,537 times

Advertisements

For some reason, I've been having terrible nightmares about being back at work (I've been retired for almost 14 years now).

I'm at work, I've been given a job that's impossible to get done. I'm panicked. I'm going to be in SUCH trouble if the job doesn't get done, but there's no way I can do it. In the one I had a few nights ago, I was being threatened with criminal charges for not doing the job correctly. I can't even remember what the job WAS, but I'm sure it was a doozy.

My job was reasonably stressful but not THAT bad. I always did it well.

When I wake up, I'm in a panic. I comfort myself by saying over and over, "It's just a dream, it's just a dream...." The Other Half is getting tired of having to pat me down. I have these dreams every few nights, sometimes 2-3 days in a row.

Why in the world would I be having these dreams now? I've thoroughly enjoyed retirement, it's been pretty stress-free and a lot of fun. There's no way I'll ever have to hold down a job again, even if I WANTED to (which I don't).

Anybody else have these dreams?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 06:44 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,047,339 times
I've been retired for 14 years and still have dreams about work every few months. The same 2 dreams occur.

I was an RN and in the one dream, it's 9:30 AM and I haven't gotten my 8 AM meds given and keep scrambling to get caught up.

In the other dream, I have been called back to return to work, am halfway through my shift and remember that I didn't renew my license when I retired and am working without a license.

My work was stressful (ICU) and most days there was constant pressure to keep up with all that had to be done.

Old 12-07-2023, 07:45 PM

260 posts, read 154,349 times
Nope, nope, and nope. Thank goodness.

Old 12-07-2023, 07:50 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Join the club.
I have this dream where we are having a sales meeting and I have not sold a single item/service in 2 years. No one but me seems to be concerned.
In real life did just fine. And have not had a sales job for 35 years.

Next up—dreams about high school locker combinations.

Old 12-07-2023, 07:50 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,145 times
I dream about my old jobs quite a bit. Ugh. Among other positions, I was an administrative assistant for quite a few years. I didn't really enjoy it, but the dream I had recently was worse than the reality--I was AA to Satan and he was really mean. (I did have a pretty bad boss a couple of times.)

Old 12-07-2023, 08:00 PM

17,363 posts, read 16,505,917 times
I think I've dreamed about my former jobs before but never what you describe.

In fact, what you describe sounds sort of akin to the dreams I used to have that I was back in college and had either slept through an exam, or worse, had an exam to take and couldn't find the classroom that I need to go to - running, opening doors, looking for my class and having this terrible pit in my stomach that I was not going to find it. I used to have that one a lot.

The latest recurrent dream (within the past 10 years) involves me realizing that I'm pregnant, about to give birth and I had never gone to any prenatal appointments, I hadn't been eating right or abstaining from alcohol. And how on earth would I manage being the mom of a tiny baby again - oh, the regret and dread and guilt....

Then I wake up. And like you, I'm left wondering what the heck that was all about. I'm sure there are dream experts who could help to interpret why we have these strange dreams.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:14 PM

1,204 posts, read 934,612 times
I have infrequent dreams about work 12 years after the fact, but they usually aren’t that awful. Just odd, like my old boss showing up in my retirement location, opening our office here, and everyone just expecting me to show up to work. Or figuring out the perfect solution to a work issue then waking up and forgetting it.

But for panicky dreams I’m with a couple of others here, the school ones are the worst! Forgotten locker locations or combos, forgotten exams, not realizing I was even in a class until the day I had to take the final - you name it, I’ve dreamt it!

Old 12-07-2023, 08:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
As a 40+ yr commercial driver, (night shift in mtns.)
I often have dreams about vehicle crashes, tho I never had one in real life. (yet)

A lot of my nightly dreams have coworkers, and sometimes work related, but usually much more bizarre.

Would be nice to have a lifetime log of all my dreams (since I was a wee child) sometimes more than 10 / night. so... I don't bother sleeping much, it's too stressful! Naps are far more valuable, productive, effective, but I still have many nightmares, especially when napping in the car or truck. I wake up very aware that I'm in the driver's seat and my hands are NOT on the steering wheel. YIKES. too many late night driving memories. (and attending lots of fatal accidents, in the boonies). The days of age 18 LEGAL drinking brought weekend driving nights with many horrors.

I have many dreams about life in the home of self employed parents (every phone call might be an employee or customer crisis). We had a few employees get killed on the job (usually driving nights and getting hit by a drunk driver). Since farm life was a j-o-b, I lost a few neighbors and classmates to farm accidents, so those are frequent dreams. Especially fueling the tractor and starting a huge fire. (accident that killed my grandpa at age 93)

I've never had a work dream about pleasing a boss, or meeting a deadline.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Join the club.
Next up—dreams about high school locker combinations.
Just last night. I was dreaming about going get something for the boss, out of a work locker, and someone had put on one of the locks with a series of 4 alpha letters. (Which we never used at work). I was frantically trying every combination / phrase I could think if. (and wondering how long I could keep the boss waiting, yrs?). I tried a lot of 4-letter words (It was probably b-o-s-s)

Old 12-07-2023, 10:31 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,656,302 times
I have frequent dreams about my past jobs. It is usually the same scenario about my last job in financial services; in my dream I have retired then went back for a year and now am in my last week before retiring again. Just had that one last night

I also dream at times about being back in the tire and auto service business.

To vary it up I sometimes dream that in my old age I am back in the Coast Guard making one last cruise to Ocean Station Bravo. Coming into the St John's Newfoundland harbor is always so vivid. Every once in a while I dream about being back at the air station in Annette Alaska.

I dream a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement