Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2023, 01:51 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We'd been at our Scottsdale place (second home) for a few days when late at night I felt "weird". I checked my pulse repeatedly and sure enough, I'd contracted atrial fibrillation. It's not hard to detect if you listen for it.

I mention this because of the possibility of any of us having problems with Afib. I have to go back to Stanford in a few days to get my monthly Nucala injection. There are long stretches in that 600 mile jaunt where there are no top-notch EDs. I'm wearing a Holter monitor now.

My husband wants to sell the Scottsdale place. I get it: There would be substantial gains. And he would see his friends more often.
Was this recently?
Questions about Afib: Was your pulse noticeably faster and were there other symptoms? I’m wondering what you mean by listening for it.

Old 11-30-2023, 02:26 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Was this recently?
Questions about Afib: Was your pulse noticeably faster and were there other symptoms? I’m wondering what you mean by listening for it.
Apparently, sometimes Afib doesn't create noticeable symptoms, but you can probably always detect it when checking your pulse. I've had one episode so far. Felt breathless, pulse was pounding (not necessarily faster, just oddly throbby and erratic) light headed and unsteady, basically unwell and increasingly uneasy. I didn't know what was wrong but I had had a cardiac thrombosis + mild heart attack 2 years before and because of that, verified the SVT I was probably born with and began paying more attention to heart rhythm. When symptoms didn't seem to be letting up after a day I drove myself to the ER. We don't have "urgent" clinics here and I knew I probably wouldn't be able to walk in to see my PCP. It wasn't until the ER nurse put me on a monitor and said "Oh yeah, you're definitely in Afib right now" the idea ever occurred to me. They did a cardioversion then and there.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:07 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Nice photos and interesting stories. The fact remains that in the world of Europe in which I lived, there was a disproportionately large number of only children who bought their home (usually a condo) in or near a large city while their parents still lived in some house in the countryside, and inherited an ancestral house (eg, on the coast) which they subsequently used as the vacation home. If there were two siblings, they tended to split the ancestral house as the vacation home. I know of a lot of that, enough that I consider it very common, among people in all types of economic status. And the parents (or grandparents) that left the house as an inheritance were typically closer to poor than to rich. Having a vacation home is common in Europe, and the vacation home is usually acquired by the mechanism I just described.

My acquaintances in Europe (from the 1960s-70s when I grew up on that continent, and those from other Euro countries that I met in various contexts) tended to be all urban dwellers. I don't really know how people lived who still lived in remote villages around 1945-1970 - maybe they still had ten kids, in which case the average between them and urban dwellers with 1 or 2 kids would have been 6 kids, which is indeed a baby boom :-). But growing up, and later meeting various Europeans, I did not know anyone with a large family.
I agree with you, the home that I lived in belonged to the eldest son my mom's brother, and is now a B&B and still in the family also in Europe.

We moved back to the farm during the war for safety reasons.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:23 PM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Just depends on the personal way people travel. As a kid we had a trailer (didn't work out well for our family)
Several friends RV FT and PT with trailers and it's just perfect for them.

Trailer is better if you go to a destination (get there early) and stay a few days to a few months.

We often drive till 2-4AM (as a truckdriver- I prefer light traffic and cool weather). Your neighbors, 4 ft away in a campground are not gonna appreciate the yelling and cursing of backing a trailer into a tight spot in the dark.

We often find spots we like that have no space for a trailer.
(We seldom have a set plan... if we find a spot we like, we stop and stay. 1 day, 1 week. We can make it a month in a small vehicle (if necessary / in NZ or Europe), but... in USA, we are seldom stuck together for more than a couple days (RV or at home),

Each person has different tastes in accommodations... and they change a few times during a long retirement

We've been a month in one of our remote cabins (16x24). It's about right. Has a loft, bath, kitchen. But we are not inside very often, except more on long winter evenings. 40x70 shop is a 100yrds away if we need some space / hobbies / shelter. We have destination venues within 20 minutes in all directions. + a large rural acreage with a wonderful view and lots of wildlife and livestock. Easy to stay home when needed. Small town ~18,000 (with everything we need, including a college, library, and most Big Box stores, + Dollar Tree, Geriatric Health Club with lap pool and hot tub, and 10+ tex-mex cafes) is 8 miles away. It's a really nice break from PNW weather. 70+ and sunny for next 7 days.

Must head home (PNW mtns) for Christmas, then to some other destinations for Jan - Mar ($29 fares on SWA within CA, AZ, NV, and & HI was $82 (with one companion for free $5.60 taxes). We fly to SMF (Sacramento) for $39, then all over CA, and nearby states for $29 one-way. 1/4 tank of fuel at CA prices.
I think you could drive most of the way to your destination and then stop at a rest stop for a few hours while you wait for the sun to come up before heading into the campground. I would imagine that tractor trailer friendly fuel stops would be RV friendly, too. I haven't figured out all of the logistics but I'm sure we would learn as we go. I don't see us pulling into a campground in the middle of the night and causing an uproar while we tried to park. I'm sure that happens but I can't see us doing that.

The RV thing would be a phase of life before moving into an active over 55 community.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:28 PM

3,143 posts, read 1,600,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Would be interested in what you mean by that, but it is off-topic for this thread.

Boston is a cute, smaller city. Lots of history. Have a niece in the suburbs.

Neither PA nor MA will tax my NYS pension, either, which is something I have to keep in mind.
Quote:
Correct, but there is PA inheritance tax:

https://www.montgomerycountypa.gov/2...t%20from%20tax).

MA starts taxing inheritance only at $2 million .
PA doesn't tax 401(k) or IRA distributions. MA does.

https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/inf...rement%20plans.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:41 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I agree with you, the home that I lived in belonged to the eldest son my mom's brother, and is now a B&B and still in the family also in Europe.

We moved back to the farm during the war for safety reasons.
Thank you for chiming in with the confirmation. Yes, very common in Europe to preserve real estate in the family and therefore have multiple homes, sometimes (but not regularly) used commercially. Not associated with being "rich", but
common among the middle-middle class.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:53 PM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
PA doesn't tax 401(k) or IRA distributions. MA does.

https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/inf...rement%20plans.
pa does not tax retirement money because they don’t allow a state tax deduction when you contribute.

that can be hurtful as one may need those deductions when incomes are the highest , not the lowest when the pay checks stop

Old 11-30-2023, 04:05 PM

7,802 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Quote:
I am solo, and not particularly domestic...
Wait. You mean you're not a Suzie Homemaker, baking apple pies every day, knitting sweaters, and canning your own preserves???

Old 11-30-2023, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I'm responding here to your post in the other thread, because that thread was allegedly not for people with second homes. I strongly agree with you that anyone who pays property tax to a municipality should be able to vote in municipal elections - at least if the taxpayer is a US citizen (for non-US citizens, it could be impossible legally).
Actually, certain locations allow non-citizens to vote in local elections. https://www.usa.gov/who-can-vote

Old 11-30-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Finally, someone (maybe you) brought up an idea that property tax should be flat, ie, the same dollar figure for all properties regardless of their value. That I can't agree with - thinking of owning a property in terms of owning a share of the city, if you own a more valuable share of the city, then I do think you should pay more than someone who owns a less valuable share, meaning that the tax should be a specific % of the value of property (as it indeed is right now) rather than the same figure for each property owner.
It wasn't me.

But having said that, wealth taxes are not a good way to raise required tax revenue compared to other methods.

The property tax in particular has bad characteristics. And no, you do not own a share of the city.

Let's say things are in an equilibrium: house prices are stable because the desire to sell and the desire to buy are pretty well matched. This means a given home's value is pretty constant and the tax is predictable.

But then let's say there is an exogenous shock - for example, pandemic-induced desire to work remotely, or a $5 Trillion helicopter drop or the like. All of a sudden, a bunch of people who live in, say, San Francisco decide they want to live in Park City. Their mere desire to live remotely in Park City drives up the value of my house for property tax purposes. I didn't do anything -- yet my the County Assessor now says I must pay more property tax simply because of New Yorkers or Texans or Californians might want to buy my house one day.

That is just dumb. We can fund municipal services differently (and, by the way, eliminate the County Assessor's office altogether, saving $$$).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement