Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2024, 10:58 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Hope, that the US steps in to help with the intel, drones, advising, etc.
That would be a great use of our force - to help fight organized criminals.

They represent clear and present danger to all in Americas

Call our reps.

To S&S:
Make sure our embassy knows where you are just in case.

Are you able to monitor your situation effectively? My understanding that you are not as fluent in language?
What is your source of news to monitor the situation?

Besides supply of some food: are you able to have enough meds and first aid?
Could you get to the emergency healthcare if necessary? Or better get the doctor to your place?

Maybe all expatriates can band together, have a meeting and make a number of various contingency plans just in case in your condo complex ?
Does anyone have transportation to get out if all hell breaks loose? -how far is it to Peru from where you are on the coast?

Hopefully the US could help out to stop the violence fast - would be money well spent
Yeah, I wish the US would step in, but they/we are being stretched pretty thin right now. Good idea about the embassy though. Although my experience with them has been entirely negative. They don't respond.

We don't take any meds except DH's thyroid but he has plenty of those.

Our source of news is friends/relatives who live in the hotspots, and online news. We don't have TV.

I've had an ambulance come here 3 times and the ER is 15 minutes away so there's that.

The Peruvian border has always been unsafe. There's really nowhere to run away to. There's a couple cars here. Yes, we should sit down and make a plan with the neighbors. I can't imagine what it would be, though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 11:41 AM

142 posts, read 84,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yeah, I wish the US would step in, but they/we are being stretched pretty thin right now. Good idea about the embassy though. Although my experience with them has been entirely negative. They don't respond.

Our source of news is friends/relatives who live in the hotspots, and online news. We don't have TV.

I've had an ambulance come here 3 times and the ER is 15 minutes away so there's that.

The Peruvian border has always been unsafe. There's really nowhere to run away to. There's a couple cars here. Yes, we should sit down and make a plan with the neighbors. I can't imagine what it would be, though.
Best wishes. I'll keep you and all of the other people in Ecuador in my prayers.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:

...Yes, we should sit down and make a plan with the neighbors. I can't imagine what it would be, though.
  • elect a very diplomatic, and convincing advocate for your building. To handle local authorities and any discussions with insurgents. (keeping any and all details close to chest, for the benefit of all residents. )
  • Equip that advocate with trusted and dilgent information gatherers (inteligence service, as it were)
  • Avail necessary resources. ($$$ if needed for bribes and food)
  • Have an agreed implementation plan... A, B, C(risis).
  • Implement that plan as needed.
  • Don't be caught in a situation where there is chaos, or fear. That's not the time to plan.
  • There is a lot of data / planning resources online for this very situation. As there are security service companies who do this as a business for regions with unrest. (for employees, diplomats, accompanying families, and retirees!)

Be Smart (while you have options)

Most likely this will blow over before it hits your home.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:37 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Be very alert. In the conditions of social unrest, everything seems apparently normal (while people are in fact getting killed), and you lose the appropriate sense of danger. Forget about keeping a low profile etc. - just get out of there any way you can, asap (advice from a person that escaped from an escalating civil war). Central America is NOT the same as Thailand.
Neither is South America.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:17 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Quote:
Well, right now there's no traffic, or hardly any. We are on a major highway (15). The buses are all private so they are not running right now. Very few taxis. There's no one on the beach. The "state of emergency" is supposed to last 60 days, but I don't know what that really means, other than curfew.

Just wish we had more booze, lol.

Glad to see you still have your priorities right.

Old 01-11-2024, 03:12 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,382,688 times
Quote:
Central America is not the same as South America, either.

Ecuador is in South America.

We're not "getting out of here", this is our home. For now, anyway, lol. Many expats keep their home in the U.S. or Canada, but this is IT for us. Nowhere to "go back" to.
Okay, my bad re South America. I always thought the left upper corner of the continent (Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela) was considered a part of Central America... apparently it isn't, but that doesn't change what I would do. I got out of my only home, where I was born and raised, which is the reason I am alive, unlike 40,000 people who weren't going to leave their home over there.

Old 01-11-2024, 03:23 PM

15,423 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:

Speaking from several experiences, US Embassies are almost entirely useless during a crisis. If they respond at all, it will be to tell you they can't do anything and to keep your head down.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:59 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,189,162 times
Quote:

Glad, you are staying cool.

Basically, try to ensure your and the condo’s necessities- in case you are on your own - without any local help?
Personally, make inventory of your supplies and try to get more non-perishables as soon as you can.
Try to find hiding places in your condo to stash some of your supplies - in case people will try to take them?

Hopefully, the people of Ecuador are not as rogue as some of our own citizens here - who were looting not out of necessity but because they could- when social fabric of society is frail.

At your meetings - figure out how many people are there, make a list.
What vulnerability your group has, any health, disability concerns? How to handle? How help could be rendered if needed; obviously - whatever could be done.

How your people could stay in touch if internet, cell service is out, etc. Get a radio, batteries, etc
Who is able to communicate with locals in details?
Who is a reliable local?

What are your resources.
Could you still bank, will you be able later?
Get disinfectants, anti-insects, rodent control, fire control, basics meds, something to stop bleeding, etc

to sustain condo in case the power, internet, water supplies is out, how one could stay safe and how you guys could manage if no medical help is able to come or, fire services and such.

You pretty much have to discuss how you could secure entrances, secure water supplies, sorry - it is vague as I don’t know the details of your life there - you get an idea…
Gas up both of the cars you have and secure them out of sight?
Booze is great to have - especially vodka - a lot of medical uses; even as a shock therapy, disinfectant, etc -get and hide some.

The embassy may not help per se, unless you need to evacuate? Let them know how many people at your address.
You never know - they may have more info, use them if you can.

Hopefully it is better than it looks from a far..
Encourage everyone to be careful as to not need medical care - ensure no falls, cuts, sprains, etc

Get together for regular meetings - so you could exchange information gathered, make plans if needed, support each other

https://ec.usembassy.gov/message-for...-of-emergency/

What they State department can and can’t do in a crisis
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...do-crisis.html

Last edited by L00k4ward; 01-11-2024 at 07:24 PM..

Old 01-12-2024, 03:40 AM

1,824 posts, read 799,349 times
Eat a marijuana brownie

Old 01-12-2024, 10:32 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,196,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Speaking from several experiences, US Embassies are almost entirely useless during a crisis. If they respond at all, it will be to tell you they can't do anything and to keep your head down.
I was living in Buenos Aires in 1976 when there was a military coup. My US passport was at the Immigration office getting the visa renewed, a slow process at that time. I went to the embassy asking what to do. They yelled at me for being stupid and leaving my passport with Immigration. As if there had been a choice if I wanted to renew it. The only other time after that that I ever sought help from the embassy was when I sprained my ankle in Africa on a consulting job and needed an Ace bandage which wasn't available there.They did give me one. After that I always carried an Ace bandage on my travels.

The embassies, at least back then, only served people on some kind of official status.
BTW I stayed in Argentina another 6 months until I finished my research. Never encountered any violence problems, just saw lots of military and heard rumors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement