Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 12:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,748 posts, read 58,102,528 times

Advertisements

cemetery plot shopping

1) Designed the woodstove to accommodate my cremation (at the request of spouse, who measured me to make sure I fit in the door)

2) Keeping the backhoe for the estate sale. Toss me in the woodstove, Bury, backfill, then sell the backhoe. (Or a shovel will do)

Plenty of room in my forest (along side many pets)
Bigfoot lives in our forest (most sitings in USA), So I should have company and be in good care.

BTW, I planned my demise and EOL solutions long before age 20. My homelife dictated the need. (daily)

of course I also have helped groups form Funeral Co-ops (for those without a backhoe )

For my deceased parent... loaded their corpse in a utility trailer and took a 2500 mile 'road trip', to family plot, visiting all their favorite spots on the way (including stopping to buy a casket vault (no cremation allowed by siblings). Rented a backhoe at final destination, did a military honor service with flag ceremony, blowing TAPS on dad's favorite bugle, lowered him in, and backfilled. It was very a peaceful 'closure' for decades of fear, battles, poor health choices, and massive violent anger.

Done deal (mine will be much easier).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 12:09 PM

18,121 posts, read 15,696,543 times
My parents, along with some other family members, purchased plots at our hometown cemetery decades ago. I think I was maybe about 15 yrs old or thereabouts. Kind of freaky, but I guess it was fiscally responsible, considering the cost of such things now.

Except, I have no desire to be put to rest in the plot that was selected for me, and I haven't lived in that state since I was 18. The plot is right next to my brother, who passed 20 years ago. He and I rarely got along. I'm planning to be cremated anyway, and will end up being scattered somewhere, hopefully along with my dog's ashes I've had for the last 13 years--that's an instruction I'm adding as an attachment to my updated will.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:25 PM

17,403 posts, read 16,553,894 times
What about a family mausoleum? That way, you've got a grand resting place for yourself and your spouse and there would always be a place for the kids and their spouses when that day comes for them, assuming that's where they want to be.

They've got some cool looking walk in ones with separate vaults for up to X number of people. You could put in bench seating, pictures, a prayer mantle or whatever you wanted in there. It's the "go big or go home" of cemetery arrangements.

I have zero idea how much something like that would cost. Probably as much as a house.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:40 PM

8,497 posts, read 6,902,842 times
Mines all ready set in the local VA cemetery. Plot and marker. And it will accommodate the wife and daughter. I would have preferred the cemetery here at Fort Rosecrans overlooking the Pacific but it’s full.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:47 PM

4,281 posts, read 5,941,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
What about a family mausoleum? That way, you've got a grand resting place for yourself and your spouse and there would always be a place for the kids and their spouses when that day comes for them, assuming that's where they want to be.

They've got some cool looking walk in ones with separate vaults for up to X number of people. You could put in bench seating, pictures, a prayer mantle or whatever you wanted in there. It's the "go big or go home" of cemetery arrangements.

I have zero idea how much something like that would cost. Probably as much as a house.
To answer the question in your last parsgraph; Yes, about the same as a house for a walk-in family Mausoleum.

We did consider keeping our crypt, with last name only on the door, and use it as a Multi-generational Family Crypt for cremains. We were told by the Cemetery it would hold 50 cremains (I suspect more). But both sons have moved hours away so it would have contained only my wife and I.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:13 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,874,740 times
My parents bought a 4 plot section in the local cemetary probably close to 60 years ago. It was for them, me and my future hubby. No headstones, just flat plaques. When my FIL passed they hadn't bought anything and in looking around they ended up at another cemetary in the area that allowed headstones. My mother decided that she preferred that cemetary and tried to sell her other ones. However there was a clause that said if they sold it had to be back to the cemetary at the price they paid or sign it over to someone else. So she signed 2 over to her sister and hubby (they paid Mom for it), and the other 2 to a close friend (same deal). She then bought a 4 plot section in the other one and that's where they are buried. The other 2 are for us, which is fine with us. It is behind my in-laws and hubby's brother and wife. So we will be "together" again. Daughter will probably be buried in NY with her hubby and his family, but I won't care as I'm sure we will be gone by then.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:33 PM

37,145 posts, read 42,240,055 times
My parents also preplanned their burials and bought a double plot (stacked) over 40 years ago where other family is buried. My mom changed her mind a few years later when the cemetery announced they were building a small structure/mausoleum with places for bodies and a wall of niches for ashes. She is #3 on the cremation niche wall but dad still wanted to be buried. He passed away last year and when it came time to make the flat headstone we played around with the idea of someone else in the family using the other half of the plot and leaving room on the headstone for them, but in the end we decided to let that go. Mom will use the niche and us kids and our kids have no interest in being placed anywhere forever, we are all choosing cremation and don't care what happens to the ashes, the survivors can decide. Besides, nobody actually lives in the town where the cemetery is anymore and my kids won't even be in the same state. I might not be either.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:59 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,400,832 times
When my 30yo single brother passed many years ago, the question of what to do with his ashes came up with my siblings. I was so glad my sibs took care of the dispersal as I was too sad to deal with it. I always think about the work we put upon survivors when we leave behind ashes. For some, it is part of saying goodbye but for others, it is a very hard task.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:30 PM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

A gypsy clan did this in my hometown. They sold a city block of multi family rentals for the Grande Dame's final place including everlasting lights and security. The funeral was an event to say the least.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:35 PM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
About ten years ago MIL happily let us know that she has purchased adjacent lots for her/FIL/SIL/SO/me. We just left her in her believe that we will always be happily together.
We will get cremated and ashes spread. Probably under a briar bush for me:>)
There is always the family cemetery in small town Alabama which goes back five generations. Some markers are basically rocks . But why bother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement