Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 06:39 AM

7,985 posts, read 3,918,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Of the 21 meals I eat in a week, about 16 are always the same.
I don't think I could eat 21 meals in a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Everyone says, "How can you be like that?.. Don't you need some variation?"
Well, there were marriage vows that dealt with that issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

I don't smoke. I don't drink alcohol. I don't use drugs. Never have.
You and Adam Ant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o41A91X5pns&t=66s

Old 03-02-2024, 06:47 AM

Get a bunch of old people together and inevitably it turns into an "organ recital" of what is health issues.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:31 AM

4,158 posts, read 3,083,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Get a bunch of old people together and inevitably it turns into an "organ recital" of what is health issues.
The first time I attended an older church Sunday School class, I was struck by how the prayer sessions consisted of prayers for people with health problems. That's become my Sunday School class for quite a while now.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:35 AM

2,283 posts, read 1,681,318 times
I do think it has much to do with genes. My parents lived into their mid-90s with no dementia and in their own home with 3 stories (stairs). They did all their own shopping, cooking and cleaning. Loved to read and had great connections with the family. Some in the family lived over 100 years, not as mobile but no dementia.

The biggest detriment to good health was smoking with my family members who died younger (70s/80s).

I do believe that eating non-processed food is helpful. My mom cooked mostly from scratch and they avoided sugary foods. They enjoyed fresh fruits and vegetables. Never drank soda. They did walk and swim some plus kept their weight at healthy levels. Never did any strenuous exercise besides housework or yardwork.

But you just never know - my very health conscious friend died of pancreatic cancer, a result of genes. I try to be logical and do the best I can.

Last edited by shamrock4; 03-02-2024 at 07:44 AM..

Old 03-02-2024, 07:39 AM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
The first time I attended an older church Sunday School class, I was struck by how the prayer sessions consisted of prayers for people with health problems. That's become my Sunday School class for quite a while now.
Eh, I stopped praying for sick people when I realized that whenever I did, they died.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:41 AM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I don't think I could eat 21 meals in a week.

Well, there were marriage vows that dealt with that issue.
I could eat just one. Start on Sunday morning, finish on Saturday night.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:15 AM

11,751 posts, read 6,124,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I do think it has much to do with genes. My parents lived into their mid-90s with no dementia and in their own home with 3 stories (stairs). They did all their own shopping, cooking and cleaning. Loved to read and had great connections with the family. Some in the family lived over 100 years, not as mobile but no dementia.

The biggest detriment to good health was smoking with my family members who died younger (70s/80s).

I do believe that eating non-processed food is helpful. My mom cooked mostly from scratch and they avoided sugary foods. They enjoyed fresh fruits and vegetables. Never drank soda. They did walk and swim some plus kept their weight at healthy levels. Never did any strenuous exercise besides housework or yardwork.

But you just never know - my very health conscious friend died of pancreatic cancer, a result of genes. I try to be logical and do the best I can.
Smoking!

Mom is 90. Her older sister is 92. Her baby sister died at 55 from lung cancer - a life-long smoker. Smoking took 35 years off her baby sister's life. My smoker aunt would be 86 today had she not been a smoker. Her husband smoked and outlived her 15 years. Yes DNA matters.

It gets worse. The daugther of my smoker aunt died young from lung cancer as well. Lifetime smoker.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:32 AM

7,463 posts, read 4,718,908 times
I'm doing more water treading than running as it is better on joints and still a good exercise for the heart. Water relieves stress as well.

Walking is a necessity so I would not buy a car. This forces me to walk for my needs (grocery, shopping, dining).

For my arthritis I play piano regularly. It does not matter to me if I play the same 10 songs all the time for the rest of my life...it's the therapy. It's a double benefit also as piano playing (or any instrument you fancy) counters dementia.

I like sweating to remove unwanted fat so I am in a humid tropical country. It also forces me to take daily baths so it's a double benefit as it grooms me daily.

Teeth is an issue and is experimenting on dental implant on one tooth then we will see. The hope is to get full Hollywood dental implants like those of Tom Cruise's and Angelina Jolie's.

Reflex and balance is an aging concern. Tennis is excellent for this but will also move to Table Tennis as I age. I have given up surfing already.

Hair, just light shampoo daily and lots of combing to release natural oil. Conditioner is applied regularly 2x a week.

Food -- everyone dies even those who eat healthy whole foods -- so my philosophy changed to eating in moderation. For what good is eating chicken salad if the portion is for 10 people? My goal is to maintain BMI of within 24.0-24.9.

Skin care - lathering it up with oil on the face, and lotion everywhere else.

I have given up body sculpting and would just like to maintain 1 ab that is flat instead of 6.

Eyesight, I try to avoid or prolong without glasses. I will hold on to just using reading glasses for as long as I can. My thought is once I give in to the glasses, it takes over my eyesight and makes it adjust to a worse state.

I'm undertaking all of these not when I'm 70 but now that I'm in my 50s.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:48 AM

8,368 posts, read 6,465,628 times
At 80 no more driving with the combination of night and raining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement