Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 12:01 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Well, Hollywood's advertisements certainly want you to think that way.
What?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 01:41 AM

7,541 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Well, Hollywood's advertisements certainly want you to think that way.
What? It's more like the Orthopedic surgeon's and Oncologists advertisements (to follow Your logic).

Old 03-05-2024, 02:20 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Looked up images of 77 year old people (like me)…..dang they look old!!!!
Just returned from a tour of Taiwan with a group of twenty-five people from sixties to eighties. The oldest lady was amazing in how she climbed to the top of every lookout and temple. Everyone participated in everything, including eating almost exclusively Asian food for lunch and dinner every day, wandering through crowded markets, museums, malls, national parks and everything else on offer.

Yes, we do look old but not one person got sick or injured. And we had a great time. It can be done!
PS We did not discuss politics and only discussed our grandkids in a very limited way. So everyone got on.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:11 AM

7,793 posts, read 3,803,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Would you say that again in English? So, you have a stash on the mountain?
In recreational alpine skiing, qualitatively speaking, you can ski on groomed runs where your skis are on top of snow that has been compacted and smoothed out by giant "snow cats" in a process called "grooming a run (piste)." At the other end of the spectrum you can skin in virgin fluffy powder - typically within tree runs or in bowls - where the snow has not been compacted by machinery. Over time - several hours - as skiers go through the virgin fluffy powder, it becomes compacted into random ruts and bumps, which are less fun than they were with virgin fluffy powdery snow.

You use different skis for skiing on groomed runs; they are narrower, and are constructed of materials that are stiffer, and the geometry of the shape of the ski encourages short fast turns like you'd see from an olympic slalom ski racer. Or, you use narrower skis that are designed for big sweeping arcs. Either of these skis are great on groomed runs, but not the right tool for soft, fluffy powdery snow in trees and bowls.

On ungroomed powder environments - ungroomed bowls and trees - you use wide, fat skis, frequently with twin tips, and the 3-D geometry of the skis enable float, and these are not as stiff and are not designed to carve.

The experience of skiing virgin snow is decidedly different - and superior - to skiing a track that other people have already skied. Sometimes you get snow that is very deep. That is fun. Nothing quite like virgin snow. There are areas on the mountain that are difficult to, almost hidden - that's what I mean by a stash.

Skiing over tracks that have previously been compacted by other skiers is fun - but not as fun as pure, virgin snow.

Quote:
I was thinking of you yesterday I was watching this kind of weird movie called Force Majeure that was filmed at Les Arcs. They are constantly blasting snow off the mountains and it is an extreme idyllic location.
Ski patrol uses compressed-air powered cannon to launch explosives to blast snow that is prone to avalanche, triggering the an avalanche when there is no one on the mountain in the early morning. I love the sound of avalanche cannon in the morning.

Avalanches are very serious and some recreational skiers are severly injured or die each year by being caught in an avalanche - perhaps the flow of snow carries them into a tree and they die from trauma; perhaps the flow of snow covers them up in several feet of snow, they are unconscious, and they die from asphyxiation. Even if they are conscious, they are under hundreds of pounds (thousands?) and are stunned and disoriented and perhaps have broken limbs and can't move to dig themselves out. Ski resorts go to great lengths to make the sport safe, but sadly, over a hundred people die in avalanches worldwide each year.

Ski resorts have "avalanche dogs" that have ben trained to rapidly locate a skier submerged in the snow from an avalanche. The dogs, of course, have superior sense of smell and hearing and they can locate a skier if one is there - but time is of the essence.

There even have been experiments with "avalanche cats." Watch the short video by the Canadian Avalanche Rescue Cat Association. Training is more difficult, but there are advantages, because they can deploy a team of trained cats quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAYQyrsX1HM

Old 03-06-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
In recreational alpine skiing, qualitatively speaking, you can ski on groomed runs where your skis are on top of snow that has been compacted and smoothed out by giant "snow cats" in a process called "grooming a run (piste)." At the other end of the spectrum you can skin in virgin fluffy powder - typically within tree runs or in bowls - where the snow has not been compacted by machinery. Over time - several hours - as skiers go through the virgin fluffy powder, it becomes compacted into random ruts and bumps, which are less fun than they were with virgin fluffy powdery snow.

You use different skis for skiing on groomed runs; they are narrower, and are constructed of materials that are stiffer, and the geometry of the shape of the ski encourages short fast turns like you'd see from an olympic slalom ski racer. Or, you use narrower skis that are designed for big sweeping arcs. Either of these skis are great on groomed runs, but not the right tool for soft, fluffy powdery snow in trees and bowls.

On ungroomed powder environments - ungroomed bowls and trees - you use wide, fat skis, frequently with twin tips, and the 3-D geometry of the skis enable float, and these are not as stiff and are not designed to carve.

The experience of skiing virgin snow is decidedly different - and superior - to skiing a track that other people have already skied. Sometimes you get snow that is very deep. That is fun. Nothing quite like virgin snow. There are areas on the mountain that are difficult to, almost hidden - that's what I mean by a stash.

Skiing over tracks that have previously been compacted by other skiers is fun - but not as fun as pure, virgin snow.

Ski patrol uses compressed-air powered cannon to launch explosives to blast snow that is prone to avalanche, triggering the an avalanche when there is no one on the mountain in the early morning. I love the sound of avalanche cannon in the morning.

Avalanches are very serious and some recreational skiers are severly injured or die each year by being caught in an avalanche - perhaps the flow of snow carries them into a tree and they die from trauma; perhaps the flow of snow covers them up in several feet of snow, they are unconscious, and they die from asphyxiation. Even if they are conscious, they are under hundreds of pounds (thousands?) and are stunned and disoriented and perhaps have broken limbs and can't move to dig themselves out. Ski resorts go to great lengths to make the sport safe, but sadly, over a hundred people die in avalanches worldwide each year.

Ski resorts have "avalanche dogs" that have ben trained to rapidly locate a skier submerged in the snow from an avalanche. The dogs, of course, have superior sense of smell and hearing and they can locate a skier if one is there - but time is of the essence.

There even have been experiments with "avalanche cats." Watch the short video by the Canadian Avalanche Rescue Cat Association. Training is more difficult, but there are advantages, because they can deploy a team of trained cats quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAYQyrsX1HM

They did not bomb that cat out onto the side of a mountain!?

I favor cats over dogs about a million percent.

My girl cat, who is now living a life of leisure at 17 on her heat and with her pain killer dosing, used to be absolutely insane over certain foods. She could smell milk through the container and even if it was in the garage in the trunk of my car. It's amazing their sense of smell. Fortunately she still cares to eat some cat food as long as there is a portion of baked organic chicken breast somewhere in there once a day. She simply is uninterested in living and stopped eating when there was zero human food offering last year when I broke my kneecap and went on a 39 day water only fast. She got painfully bony. She has early stage kidney disease and will not eat the kidney diet. I feel she should enjoy life on her own terms and eat her chicken even if it costs her a year or so. My other cat gets despondent if he does not get to fresh air through the slider which is impossible on these freezing days. Enough days of that and he needs kitty antidepressant.

I guess that snow is the only virgin left. You are certainly not finding that at the chicken ranch. I noticed your mention of prostitutes on another thread where you are trying to explain Economics to the rank and file and this one with the virgin. Pretty colorful language for an economics professor... LOL.

Well, dying on that mountain might suit you but we'd miss you here.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:11 AM

7,793 posts, read 3,803,815 times
Fresh snow this morning on the deck this morning - I'll need to fire up the snowblower this morning.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:00 AM

Hope you got your coffee in before you had to tackle That. You guys have had a great winter if the point was snow. We had a week of freezing or below which is peculiar for March here.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:17 PM

256 posts, read 114,748 times
Thank you for your replies (some are funny )...I was out of town for a week, and just reading the responses now. I will consider all your recommendations

Old 03-09-2024, 10:44 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Quote:
What? It's more like the Orthopedic surgeon's and Oncologists advertisements (to follow Your logic).

Orthopedic surgeons and oncologists do not advertise on TV but diapers, walkers, nursing homes, and "Lifelock" and similar gadgets do.

Get it?

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 03-09-2024 at 10:58 AM..

Old 03-09-2024, 12:37 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Who watches commercials in this day and age?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement