Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 11:17 AM

52 posts, read 10,644 times

Advertisements

DH saved us $75 more per month

- Cancelled internet saving $10 a mo. Helping the neighbor in Summer+ wiping his dish off during winter since he can't get on a step ladder now is a fair trade. He's a nice guy we like to hang with, up 1-2x in winter and about 8x a month in summer

-YMCA We only use their weights for 30 min each trip & buy 2 coffees at $8 to-go afterwards at the Coffee Bar. $20 membership dues per mo. seems fair. Paying the full price always seemed like a waste of $ to me

-Our Health Food Store offers a new 10% off on purchases to those who earn 185% or less of the federal poverty level ($3115 per mo. for two) Saving us around $65+ per month.

Last edited by Zippiee; 04-09-2024 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 11:27 AM

7,070 posts, read 4,514,055 times
OP, thanks for all the money saving tips which I am sure may help some folks on this forum. One of my biggest money savings was switching from cable to YouTube tv. They also allow you to share it with someone so I only pay 37.50/month versus 150/month for cable.

Old 04-09-2024, 11:37 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,658,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
OP, thanks for all the money saving tips which I am sure may help some folks on this forum. One of my biggest money savings was switching from cable to YouTube tv. They also allow you to share it with someone so I only pay 37.50/month versus 150/month for cable.
YouTube TV cost is now $73 per month plus tax and you need internet for another $70. So not that much savings.

Old 04-09-2024, 11:47 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
YouTube TV cost is now $73 per month plus tax and you need internet for another $70. So not that much savings.
They just said they were splitting it. And if you had cable, most people are going to have internet too, so that’s no different there.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I was paying 200 for cable and internet. Now internet is 55 and YouTube tv 37.50 because I am splitting it with a friend. I can get T-Mobile internet for 35/month but so far haven’t made the switch. 72.99 for YouTube includes taxes and fees.

Old 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM

561 posts, read 279,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I was paying 200 for cable and internet. Now internet is 55 and YouTube tv 37.50 because I am splitting it with a friend. I can get T-Mobile internet for 35/month but so far haven’t made the switch. 72.99 for YouTube includes taxes and fees.
T-Mobile works great. Bought a new phone last year and salesman talked me into a 30 day free home internet trial. He set it up for me and all I had to do was plug it in and change the network on our devices. Turned in my Comcast modem two weeks later. I've been seeing ads for $40 so if you can still get it for $35, I'd jump on it. BTW, I'm typing this on an AA flight from Mazatlán to Phoenix and have free WiFi with my T-Mobile number. Also free on most Delta and Alaska flights. They also give you 5gb free when you visit most foreign countries. Worked flawlessly in Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand so far this year.

I don't work for T-Mobile.

Starting our descent so that means we are back in the USA!

Old 04-09-2024, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
T-Mobile works great. Bought a new phone last year and salesman talked me into a 30 day free home internet trial. He set it up for me and all I had to do was plug it in and change the network on our devices. Turned in my Comcast modem two weeks later. I've been seeing ads for $40 so if you can still get it for $35, I'd jump on it. BTW, I'm typing this on an AA flight from Mazatlán to Phoenix and have free WiFi with my T-Mobile number. Also free on most Delta and Alaska flights. They also give you 5gb free when you visit most foreign countries. Worked flawlessly in Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand so far this year.

I don't work for T-Mobile.

Starting our descent so that means we are back in the USA!
Gator, thanks for the information!! Right now I have T-Mobile prepaid for a flat fee of 15/month with no additional fees or taxes so I am keeping that.

Old 04-09-2024, 02:11 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Other than Stealthrabbit and Shadow, most respondents either “retired early” at age 58-62, or if much earlier, they had reasonably generous defined benefit pensions. If by “early” we mean a small handful of years before SS/Medicare eligibility, then it’s no great leap to conclude, that sacrifices, if any, will be small; and largely obviated with prudence and smattering of thrift.

If however one retires genuinely early – say at age 50 – without a defined benefit pension, then one must rely on wit and vim, on entrepreneurial skills. Mr. Rabbit’s stories are particularly illustrative. If I had even half of his imagination, I’d… well, let’s just stay that I’d have far less trepidation and far more self-assurance. For those of us less gifted in effective passage from what’s between the ears, to what’s grasped in the hands, to what goes into the wallet, early retirement is a psychologically taxing proposition, even if we’re well-equipped in the pecuniary sense.

This being tax-time, I am painfully reminded of the flinty fact, that accumulating more, means a not so gentle invitation to… contribute more. It means that the various benefits and shortcuts, are less. The various costs, principally healthcare, are more. There is a reverse Matthew Effect, where from those having more, more is expected. One is reminded of a heavily bearded 19th century philosopher of German extraction, who coined many such pithy phrases, which become only too personally real, if one aims for a FIRE position.

Old 04-09-2024, 02:45 PM

37,444 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
... This being tax-time
It is tax time. My Dw is putting the forms together, for us this is an annual ritual. No money changes hands but we still file the papers.

Quote:
... I am painfully reminded of the flinty fact, that accumulating more, means a not so gentle invitation to… contribute more. It means that the various benefits and shortcuts, are less. The various costs, principally healthcare, are more
After the past 23 years of retirement, I am not sure if I can agree with that idea.

I assume that by 'contributing more' you mean paying taxes. I have not paid into income taxation for many years, 1983 was the last time I did that.

I could have shifted to Medicare yesterday, but it would have cost us more. So we declined.

Old 04-10-2024, 06:17 AM

16,272 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Quote:

As we watch virtually everything we plan to watch, including sports, on DVR delay so we can skip the ads I have no interest in YouTube TV. My cable bill, with basically every pay channel and pay app, is $184 including internet. I'm OK with that, we watch a lot of TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement