Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 08:38 PM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i was out at allen bradley control school back in the 1970’s in milwaukee. the entire production floor was all women
Semiconductor (memory) manufacturing in the 70s in Silicon Valley was mostly women. Back then, instead of "bunny suits" they wore hair nets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 10:11 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The biggest difference is that the day after childbirth, you would do it all over again.
Not really! It takes most women a few years to be ready to do it again. Time dulls the memories of how painful it is.

Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Not really! It takes most women a few years to be ready to do it again. Time dulls the memories of how painful it is.
"A few years"?? Honestly, I would say that 9 out of 10, of the mothers that I personally know, would say the same thing I did. I have made the comment before many times among friends and family when we were talking about our kids, and the general response was always "Yep!!" Obviously there are women that don't want another child, or women that had a tough childbirth, or whatever, and they would certainly feel differently. For me, I didn't need much time to dull the pain. It was forgotten the next day when I brought my son home.

Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact View Post
if you say so. All i can think of is it must be like getting my nuts caught in a vise and slowly squeezed for 12 hours before getting them gored by a ticked off bull.

Not interested in trying it even once.
lol!

Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Semiconductor (memory) manufacturing in the 70s in Silicon Valley was mostly women. Back then, instead of "bunny suits" they wore hair nets.
allen bradley had found that women were much better at repetitive tasks like on an assembly line then men .

men would lose focus doing the same task over and over and over ..

women stood up much better and so all assembly was done by women

Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Where I live property taxes are about 50 / 50 between police, fire, and other public services And Education on the other side. Like yourself I have a flutter of well I don't have kids in the schools... However, it's just a fact of real estate that the better school district upholds your property values. So, there's that angle.

I do not really mind paying taxes either. The problem is inflation impacted our overall budgets and wages may not have kept up. On top of that you feel like you need to save more for retirement due to inflation.

It's like we are in a giant juicer that is trying to squeeze every ounce out of us.
I agree. And for many of us retirees, who were not union workers, when we retired, our benefits package stated that we will receive "X" dollars, either in a lump sum, a monthly check, or a combination of both. And that's it, no raises, yet our cost of living continues to rise......

(and we're now expected to absorb the costs of supporting 11 million, and growing, foreign invaders!!)

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

35,068 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Serious, your parents are textbook examples of what not to do. They are both teachers yet chose not to move for jobs in their field with pensions. We had to move across the country with 3 teenagers when I finished my second master’s degree for me to obtain a good job in my field. Luckily my husband had a job that was in demand in any decent size city. Rural areas have never been good places to live unless you like being poor.
They've clearly made a lot of mistakes. Had they taken a teaching job anywhere they could have found one, that would have been the difference between them relatively comfortable in retirement vs. him continuing to have to work.

But at the end of the day, many of their numbers and choices are fairly "normal." It's very easy to think that most people in society make similar decisions to those on a retirement or personal finance message board.

Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
They've clearly made a lot of mistakes. Had they taken a teaching job anywhere they could have found one, that would have been the difference between them relatively comfortable in retirement vs. him continuing to have to work.

But at the end of the day, many of their numbers and choices are fairly "normal." It's very easy to think that most people in society make similar decisions to those on a retirement or personal finance message board.
Has your dad said he has to work? I remember when he quit/retired. You were beside yourself, as you were when your mother retired. Maybe he just wants to and this new job has way less stress than what he was doing and gets him out of the house.

Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

257 posts, read 130,923 times
Boomers inherited from their Greatest Generation parents an economic juggernaut in a relatively stable society with incredibly strong and functional institutions.

For those Boomers who didn't bother to save for their own old age, I just can't feel sorry for them.

Help my Millennial butt, who as a life-long frugal saver, continuously employed in the workforce, a veteran, homeowner, with no college debt.....please give me a reason to shed a single tear for broke Boomers.

Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
^^^
Not all Boomers parents did anything about their future or their kids'. I am so tired of the assumption that my working class/poor GG parents gave me anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement