Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:54 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I applied by phone last fall. No problem once someone answered. Took a good half hour plus though but didn't have to do any more than stay on the phone. Everything has turned out perfectly, by the way, so don't be discouraged by applying by telephone. I then sent in the required documents which were returned to me.
I can apply on the internet but I do not want to send in my documents, that scares me. I will hand carry them in. If I have to wait, I'll wait but if those documents get lost, forget it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:16 PM

199 posts, read 712,585 times
Please, please remember that if you take your documents in, get a signed receipt for them. I applied for SS disability while living in California. I took my certified birth certificate and hand delivered it to the office and got a receipt. Then they claimed I did not turn it in, thanks to the receipt, they had to back pedal. Then I turned in my completed application (like 25 pages long), they again lost it. I had kept copies and again my receipt. Then I move to PA, shortly beforing moving, I was turned down for disability, I had 60 days to appeal, I again hand carried in my appeal and got a receipt. As soon as I moved to PA, I called SS and was told that I had not filed my appeal within the 60 days, again thank god I had my receipt. My appeal was approved, but they sure did not make it easy (by the way, I became disabled only 3 years before retirement age).

Old 10-15-2008, 09:10 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
Okay...I am still wondering what the documents are that everyone is talking about. I took nothing into my interview/application. The worker asked me some questions and checked my work record in her computer and that was that. I am wondering what documents some folks are having to provide?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:26 AM

129 posts, read 324,926 times
esselcue, the documents are , a copy of your birth certificate , a copy of your marriage certificate , a copy of divorce papers. At least , these are the documents that I had to submit and they returned all to me by mail. So maybe some peoples documents might be a little different as some are not divorced. But they do ask for three documents of proof.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:42 PM

So you mean even if I hand carry the original documents in, they have to keep them. This is crazy, what if they lose them. Can I give them copies?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:59 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
I applied two months before I retired on line. Within two weeks I received a letter requesting my original birth certificate. I took it in to the SS office with the letter and was out of there in 10 minutes. The advantage of applying on line is if you need to check dates or facts you have all the information at your finger tips. Additionally if you don't finish the application you can save it and return to it at your convenience.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
So you mean even if I hand carry the original documents in, they have to keep them. This is crazy, what if they lose them. Can I give them copies?
I hand carried my birth certificate and they copied it and handed it right back to me.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian2 View Post
esselcue, the documents are , a copy of your birth certificate , a copy of your marriage certificate , a copy of divorce papers. At least , these are the documents that I had to submit and they returned all to me by mail. So maybe some peoples documents might be a little different as some are not divorced. But they do ask for three documents of proof.
It depends if you already supplied those documents. If you were married or divorced and remarried you would have been required to show those documents to get your name changed on SS.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:39 AM

Thanks a lot everyone for the info, I'm ready......come Jan 09.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement