Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:23 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times

Advertisements

One further thing on MN - much better economy.

Median household income - 25% higher in MN:

Wisconsin - $47,228
Minnesota - $58,906

Per capita income (2008) - 21% higher in MN:

Wisconsin - $35,239
Minnesota - $42,772

Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and 25% lower unemployment rate:

MN - 4.6%
WI - 6.2%.

Unemployment Rates for States

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-03-2014 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 08:29 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

OR is the most blue friendly, and very loyal to 'blue-group-think'. Think like THEM or don't bother speaking. (Just try to bring a counter point on the OR forum and you will be toast . Potentially banished from C-D, as has been the way of MANY great contributors.)..

WA has more diversity of thought, economy, politics (tho 3 blue counties always carry the electoral vote, and 36 counties get no 'electoral' representation)....

Both states are questing to be just like CA in legislation / regulations. As the burden of blue increases gov spending; WA and OR are not a viable Long term solution (more than 30 yrs). I was chased from CO 30 yrs ago anyway, so will also have to leave WA. ... I will keep my place near Austin, TX as a USA 'refuge' since the world is not too stable... TX is not going anywhere
Got a chuckle out of your comments on Oregon and Texas. I read the OR forum as planning to retire there and have noticed the 'group-think' and dismissal of other views, and I'm not just talking about politics. Like the newcomer who complained about the small size of the garbage can vs the larger recycling cart and got quite a verbal thrashing. Makes you hesitant to comment or ask a question. It worries me some but that's where family lives so I don't have much choice. At least they are on the east side of the Cascades. When I'm really old, I'll may head for Texas where the rest of the family lives for the warmth and inexpensive cost of living. I don't see Texas 'going anywhere' either.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 02-03-2014 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 09:20 PM

4 posts, read 4,236 times
Default Whatever !

Really ? 'Casue I was thinking it rude of you not to have actually read my post but to rag me on my paragraphs or lack thereof. Even more rude is your lack of consideration for the topic of this article. You add no pertinent content. That's RUDE and offensive. We have nothing to discuss. Why would you even bother commenting when you have nothing to say ? Are you the Grammar hall monitor ? Maybe create an opinion about the topic and come back when you have point. You are just looking for something to be upset about. I could feel your blood pressure rise as I read your post. Chill : Take it easy . The world will not end because I didn't indent. You are going to be ok. No one is forcing you to read these posts. You can block me but you only censure yourself which would have been the correct thing (since you are looking for things to correct), to do in the first place. right up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Really?? Your comment is rude.

No, sorry. As a brand new poster, it would behoove you to at least consider what other long-time, thoughtful posters here prefer.

And, you resurrected a seven-month old thread on which you've posted for the very first time 55-60 lines of uninterrupted text - for what purpose???

Indeed.

I posted this on another forum where we do a lot of problem-solving. Expecting anyone to plow through upwards of 60 lines of uninterrupted text is headache provoking, not to mention inconsiderate.

Okay, I'm convinced. On the ignore list you go.

Ciao.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:43 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Not my intention or meaning at all Robyn, and I'm genuinely surprised that you read that into it. There are a large number of Jewish people in MN. There are also a growing number of Muslims. Diversity of religion is one of the marks of a Blue state.
Diversity just means you have a lot of different kinds of people. Whether those people accept one another is a different issue. And - based on my experience - this is more dependent on socio-economic class than political attitudes (people higher up on the income scale tend to be less religious - unless they're like the Muslim 9/11 assassins).

And you said this:

That of course Israel can do what it wants because it is God's chosen place and all Muslims are damned.

What did you mean by this? And where did you live when you heard it? FWIW - damnation is not part of Judaic thought. It's a part of Christianity - and - to a lesser extent - Islam.

And just to get to the point here. Like where - except in commercials - have you ever seen Christians and Muslims and Jews all getting together socially - except perhaps at office Christmas parties?

Like how many Jews/Muslims/Blacks/Hispanics/etc. do you (or anyone else here) have regular social contacts with (like going out to dinner - having people over for dinner) - even if you live in a super Blue state? I assume you're a white Christian non-Hispanic for purposes of this question. IMO - for almost everyone - this is a matter of "all talk" - "no walk". Robyn

Old 02-04-2014, 05:09 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
One further thing on MN - much better economy.

Median household income - 25% higher in MN:

Wisconsin - $47,228
Minnesota - $58,906

Per capita income (2008) - 21% higher in MN:

Wisconsin - $35,239
Minnesota - $42,772

Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and 25% lower unemployment rate:

MN - 4.6%
WI - 6.2%.

Unemployment Rates for States
Perhaps it's because the demographics are different. As an infrequent visitor to both states (for various reasons) - well Milwaukee is much more of a lower middle class minority kind of city than Minneapolis IMO judging from my observations (Minneapolis is a lot more upper middle class and "white bread"). I mean I saw the world's largest kielbasa at a fair in Milwaukee - and I don't think I'd see that in a million years in Minneapolis . I get kind of current observations from a niece doing a dental residency in Milwaukee - a cousin who's a doctor in Madison too.

If you want to be more like Minnesota - maybe you should kick out your city minorities and poor/lower middle class populations (regardless of color) - not your Governor . Or perhaps instead stop being so liberal - and try to get these people up to speed in the 21st century (it might not in my honest opinion work in Wisconsin or anywhere these days - but it's worth a try).

As someone who lives in a state that is challenged in part by lower income people - many "of color" - many illegal immigrants - well I don't blame everything that happens here on whatever Governor we have from one year to the next. Robyn

Old 02-04-2014, 05:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Ademus View Post
Just take a deep breath at intervals ; you'll get used to it. You took the time and effort to read all that and all you can give is a grammar lesson ? I understand the lack of indentation has distracted you but try to focus on the content. Just try to focus. The truth is that I never intend to write so much and by the time I'm done a paragraph has turned into several . I'd also add that in my browser objects look smaller than they actually are in reality. I could cry 'poetic licence' ; after going by the rules for so many years it seems permissible to break them now and again. I'm no Tolstoy and don't want to be but I'd suggest reserving paragraph critique for such unnecessary voluminous works of literary import. I could make six paragraphs from one of Tolstoy's. If you are going to criticize my lack of paragraphs you could at least compliment my liberal use of spell check. If that bothers you I'm sure that my excuse of not indenting is a punch at lock step authoritarianism which threatens to demean and suffocate us all will surely get me the stink eye.
So, just for you , here is a paragraph indentation. I would not be surprised if you were to reply to denounce my use of "So" and "And" to begin a sentence as that is very un-grammatical, non-grammatical, )?) It's not very grammatical............ either. But, (there's another one) , I'd argue ; it can be creative in some cases. As for an alternative explanation : "What , someone kipped my indentations ? " ; "What the heeeyyyy............. ?" . Thanks for your attention to this matter ........Really ? I mean ......Really ?

If it helps -- I gave up. As the saying goes -- too long, didn't read.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:41 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,559,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Don't judge a state by its color.
Tennessee is red. Knoxville is red. But it is one of the most tolerant places I've lived in and the people are wonderful. They are very respectful of others and the opinions of others.
We have the conservative Baptist element you'd expect, but the Unitarians are also very active as is the Rationalist Society for Atheists and there's a large Wiccan and Pagan contigent. The UT men's basketball coach is Jewish and well-respected. There is a large Jewish population here along with muslims and hindus.
There is prayer before sporting events. It rotates between the Christians, Rabbis, Muslims and Hindus for who leads it.
I grew up in Los Angeles, spent most of my life in Washington, D.C. and a lot of time in San Francisco. All those "blue" places never showed the tolerance and common courtesy I see every day in Knoxville when it comes to dealing with people one on one.
For example, you'll find people opposed to gay marriage but are great buddies with the gay couple that lives next door.
If everyone is treated with respect and courtesy, it doesn't matter if you're PC or not.
That doesn't extend to all of the South but in this little corner of it, life is good. Personally, I've found so-called Liberals to be some of the most close-minded people I've ever met. And I consider myself to be politically liberal and vote very blue.

I wanted to rep you but couldn't rep you again so I'll just comment. What is lovely description of a place! I agree with you in that diversity is actually much more pleasant that being among all of the same ... how boring we would all be if we were all alike. Never realized what a pleasant place Knoxville is...thanks for sharing!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--------I attended a gay pride event"--

If that's what " floats your boat" , I'd recommend San Francisco
Come on...was this comment really necessary?

Old 02-04-2014, 05:50 PM

LOL - only now am I realizing this thread is 5 years old! sigh . . .

Old 02-04-2014, 09:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Ademus View Post
Really ? 'Casue I was thinking it rude of you not to have actually read my post but to rag me on my paragraphs or lack thereof. Even more rude is your lack of consideration for the topic of this article. You add no pertinent content. That's RUDE and offensive. We have nothing to discuss. Why would you even bother commenting when you have nothing to say ? Are you the Grammar hall monitor ? Maybe create an opinion about the topic and come back when you have point. You are just looking for something to be upset about. I could feel your blood pressure rise as I read your post. Chill : Take it easy . The world will not end because I didn't indent. You are going to be ok. No one is forcing you to read these posts. You can block me but you only censure yourself which would have been the correct thing (since you are looking for things to correct), to do in the first place. right up there.
Nick Ademus, I am someone who also can become quite verbose when writing on a topic. However, my intent is to communicate, and I am well aware that paragraphs are my friend in that attempt.

Here's how I deal with both problems. I write as I think, which can sometimes result in long sentences and long screeds of text. Then, I go back and read what I wrote (usually editing a bit for clarity along the way, as stream of consciousness may mean something to me but doesn't necessarily communicate that to anyone else), and insert carriage returns where appropriate to turn that stream of consciousness into something readable for the person or people with whom I am trying to communicate.

If your purpose is just expression, rather than communication, continue as you are and continue defending the idea that everyone should be eager to go to a lot of extra trouble to read your deathless prose. But know that most people won't and will judge you as uneducated, at best, based on your evident lack of understanding of basic rules of written communication.

If your purpose is, however, communication, the onus is on you to write in a way that your reader can easily take in and understand.

Your call as to which you're trying to do. But understand that it will be clear to everyone reading you which choice you've made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement