Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 11:21 AM

864 posts, read 1,151,353 times

Advertisements

Wisconsin voted on their motto about 20 years ago. The winning motto was: Eat Cheese or Die. The legislature decided to go another direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 04:11 AM

4,275 posts, read 5,192,435 times
I think Ca is the best bet. It is becoming very deep blue so there is no danger of any Republicans gaining power. That is a bad thing but that is what the voters want so let it happen. I don't see Ca becoming the next Detroit, but several cities in Ca will follow Detroit. No matter where you move really look at the area to ensure it's has a sound economy.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:25 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,238,166 times
You could consider Upstate NY. It's much more affordable than the NYC/LI area, and there are lots of areas that are surprisingly tolerant. Here's thread about cities/towns/areas in Upstate that are very diverse and welcoming: Looking for Tolerance

Old 02-02-2014, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 4,241 times
Default Blue State ; Utopia ?

I don't wish to put words in this lady's mouth but to interpret a bit : To clarify ; I don't think it's a blue state/ red state situation this lady is looking for but more of a mind set. More liberal minded folks tend to perceive conservatives to be close minded religious Christian extremists. The United States has been dominated by this type of thinking for the last 15 or more years, essentially (politically). She, as well as many others, is looking for a place in which this is Not the case. Good luck ! If you find yourself living in a community that seems anal in a political and morally repressive way you might be living in a 'red' state or community. While clearly divided states might be nice when searching for a place to live ; most of America is a 'purple' state ; a mixed bag. While some might reject the opposite as well. As someone pointed out the deeper blue states are defined by large urban areas (think black ghetto) and large gay communities (Think San Francisco). If you would feel uncomfortable in a predominantly black inner city or gay community you might not be looking for a 'blue' state to dwell in. What you are really looking for is relief or escape from conservationism. If you are young ; the answer would be 'create a blue state right where you are and kick those nasty conservatives out of your state. If this seems like too much effort and for us older folks it is ... you're just looking for a nice comfortable place to slide off this mortal coil. You don't wish to waste your last days fighting with idiots over nonsense which you shouldn't have to be fighting over in the first place. You want to be surrounded by beauty amongst like minded people ; doing things you enjoy (with low cost of living, affordable housing and other financial perks, close quality medical services etc). I came upon this site looking for the same. It has become clear that you are not going to find it where you are. I would suggest ; it's not a 'blue' state you are looking for: It's a 'Hippy' community. Which is what I Googled or something very like that and came up with several hits that offered large lists of places and descriptions of their virtues where people gather and live who can only be described as being more "FREE'" minded. There are in fact many sanctuaries all over the U.S. and the rest of the globe (Think Amsterdam). Some in urban settings; most suburban; and some rural. Many close to or in college towns. It's not exactly 'nice' people you are looking at associating with. There are nice and mean folks on both sides of the aisle. You want some diversity ; in fact it is much more interesting when you have people to talk to who challenges your own beliefs but I fully understand feeling outnumbered and out gunned (literally) and repressed ( or maybe just D-pressed from the insanity). As the country presses ever onward towards the extreme Orwellian Fascist for which it seems destined. We are talking about people; despite the latest gadgetry , updated modern conveniences ; who would probably prefer to still be living in 1969 reading 1984 instead of watching it come to fruition. So Google ; " Hippy Communities" or similar things and see what you find. I found plenty but one place I didn't see was "Fayetteville Arkansas" which I've heard a lot of good things about. So there is another option to investigate. It's funny how ideas and concepts change over time. Rugged individualism and pull yourself up by your own bootstraps was once more of a conservative ideology ( not that it still isn't) ; self sufficient homesteading more of a hippy ideal. Now the conservatives would much rather that you remained subservient wage slaves dependent on the utility company which they probably own. Another thing to consider; Washington, Oregon, Colorado ; states in which pot laws are liberal or pot has become legal are very 'blue' state things to do despite what color the electoral college and media has determined they are. My personal preference is to leave out California as it is too overcrowded extremely inflated prices ; cost of living but it is a genuine blue state (possibly the bluest). I'd avoid it. You can pay 2 -3X's the price of a house in California as you can get in Missouri and you get less house for the cost. Who wants to do that ? I don't like the beach enough for that. Although I understand there are places in California if you look (hard). If you are reading this you are probably middle class (economically). If you are wealthy ; buy (or conquer) your own island , build a winery and start your own commune/ colony. If you are not wealthy you are probably retired or thinking about retirement and somewhere in the middle. You would most likely wish to cut your current expenses in half or better. I haven't been able to find places you can do both yet ; where the cost of living is low and the hippy type community is high (pardon the pun or allusion). I guess I should mention that it would have to be a hippy type community in which everyone wasn't so doped out that they were criminally dysfunctional as many detractors claimed Amsterdam would become (happy to report ; not even close). In short a "Utopia" or more like an Anti Utopia compared to the corporate dreams of a government controlled populace. A place where the term Democracy is not just a thin veil for corporate excess and plutocracy. A place where pure or 'direct' democracy is actively sought. So, when you say you want to live in a blue state you may simply be wishing for what every political philosopher from Socrates on wished for: The perfect place or maybe more accurately ; the perfect balance and that takes more than just people who vote like you. Anyway : I'd like to hear other's suggestions of where this place might be and why they think so ; I'll meet you there. Enjoy the middle class while you still can.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:38 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,478,739 times
Remember, paragraphs are your friend.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 4,241 times
Default Noneyun:

Just take a deep breath at intervals ; you'll get used to it. You took the time and effort to read all that and all you can give is a grammar lesson ? I understand the lack of indentation has distracted you but try to focus on the content. Just try to focus. The truth is that I never intend to write so much and by the time I'm done a paragraph has turned into several . I'd also add that in my browser objects look smaller than they actually are in reality. I could cry 'poetic licence' ; after going by the rules for so many years it seems permissible to break them now and again. I'm no Tolstoy and don't want to be but I'd suggest reserving paragraph critique for such unnecessary voluminous works of literary import. I could make six paragraphs from one of Tolstoy's. If you are going to criticize my lack of paragraphs you could at least compliment my liberal use of spell check. If that bothers you I'm sure that my excuse of not indenting is a punch at lock step authoritarianism which threatens to demean and suffocate us all will surely get me the stink eye.
So, just for you , here is a paragraph indentation. I would not be surprised if you were to reply to denounce my use of "So" and "And" to begin a sentence as that is very un-grammatical, non-grammatical, )?) It's not very grammatical............ either. But, (there's another one) , I'd argue ; it can be creative in some cases. As for an alternative explanation : "What , someone kipped my indentations ? " ; "What the heeeyyyy............. ?" . Thanks for your attention to this matter ........Really ? I mean ......Really ?

Old 02-02-2014, 06:38 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,081,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marathontony View Post
I, too, am looking for a place where "live and let live" is everyone's code. It's hard to find, everywhere people seem to say "We're right, and they're wrong" - I attended a Gay Pride event in FL last year, and the protesters - who have a right to protest, yes - yelled at us so loud while shoving and shouting their way through the cordoned off festival area that they were not expressing opinions but making it hard for people to just go visit the different booths. And I know folks who judge and dismiss all conservatives, yet I know, love and greatly respect many people who are have very conservative values.

Honestly not attempting to inject politics here,folks, just citing some examples of the intolerance that I don't want to retire around. I'm really wondering if there is truly a place where the old adage "Live and let live" exists. I feel like it's "clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, and here I am, stuck in the middle..." Where is "Middle" America?
Look to more rural isolated place if you want live and let live. Once people group together they have conflict on what should be done. Less political control; the less conflict but more person responsibility for self.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:04 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,384,344 times
Statistically, I just want to disagree with a point that Nick Ademus made. Blue state and towns are generally your more affluent areas. Though the Left is more concerned about providing for the poor and needy, it is not always the case that the poor and needy are Democrats. Look at Texas (Austin being an exception) Louisiana, and the southern states or Kentucky and Oklahoma. Most of the poorer folks there vote Republican.

You need to be honest with yourself. We tend to become more political as we age, and this divide in what we consider important as an acceptable way of life has widened over recent years. I don't feel comfortable in a room full of people spouting their views that I vehemently feel opposed to. Also, I am not religious, so I don't want to have to sit through an evening with someone praising the dear Lord every five minutes.

I can easily adjust to living in a so called Purple state, as there should be a decent level of diversity there, but I would be miserable in a community environment that was diametrically opposed to everything that I believed in. It is uncomfortable to have to keep your mouth shut, and creates havoc on the stomach. This does not say that I can not have a conservative friend. Most of my relatives are conservatives. But when it comes to community, I have to be honest and say, I enjoy conversation better with like minded people, and it has nothing to do with whose good or whose bad.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:27 PM

25,600 posts, read 56,632,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Ademus View Post
Just take a deep breath at intervals ; you'll get used to it.
Really?? Your comment is rude.

No, sorry. As a brand new poster, it would behoove you to at least consider what other long-time, thoughtful posters here prefer.

And, you resurrected a seven-month old thread on which you've posted for the very first time 55-60 lines of uninterrupted text - for what purpose???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Remember, paragraphs are your friend.
Indeed.

I posted this on another forum where we do a lot of problem-solving.
Quote:
2. Please USE PARAGRAPHS frequently in your posts - make an effort to organize your information chronologically. Use bullet points and/or paragraphs - and punctuate. Lengthy posts without paragraphs are hard to read, not to mention facts are overlooked and often misunderstood when everything is run together.
Expecting anyone to plow through upwards of 60 lines of uninterrupted text is headache provoking, not to mention inconsiderate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Ademus View Post
Just take a deep breath at intervals ; you'll get used to it.

So, just for you , here is a paragraph indentation. I would not be surprised if you were to reply to denounce my use of "So" and "And" to begin a sentence as that is very un-grammatical, non-grammatical, )?) It's not very grammatical............ either. But, (there's another one) , I'd argue ; it can be creative in some cases. As for an alternative explanation : "What , someone kipped my indentations ? " ; "What the heeeyyyy............. ?" . Thanks for your attention to this matter ........Really ? I mean ......Really ?
Okay, I'm convinced. On the ignore list you go.

Ciao.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:29 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,572,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Statistically, I just want to disagree with a point that Nick Ademus made. Blue state and towns are generally your more affluent areas. Though the Left is more concerned about providing for the poor and needy, it is not always the case that the poor and needy are Democrats. Look at Texas (Austin being an exception) Louisiana, and the southern states or Kentucky and Oklahoma. Most of the poorer folks there vote Republican.
Sidenote: not sure why you singled out Austin in Texas. Although Texas is known for being a red state, Obama and Dems carried all the major metro areas - Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso - in both elections.
The economic class influence here is not as clearcut as you indicate. Poorer rural folks vote almost totally Red, true, but so do the wealthiest enclaves within the large cities. The poorer urban areas almost always go Blue. Suburbs are all over the place - some the deepest Red or Blue, others my favorite Purple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement