Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:57 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by judithexit View Post
That is awful to treat the little girl like a pet .
Actually the pet can stay, and probably two pets can stay.........the little grandchild has to go

So they don't have to move because of pets........but.......because of a child.

I just can't handle the 55+ rules.
I love to see children and teens around.......it feels good.....and they are full of life and so refreshing. Plus, I'd want my kids to use my home whenever they want,not in the communities timeframe which is usually 30 days for company......in total. Whaaaaa........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:19 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Most of the 55+ places around here (New England) are out in the boondocks because there are few larger tracts of land anywhere near the core cities (all built out over the years). This makes people living there even more car-dependent than ever, which seems like a real downside in older age.
I gather that a lot of housing areas out West and down South are very involved in HOAs, whether 55+ or not.
Frankly, I'd love to live in a place with no children or teenagers. I resent that I must be 55- how do the developers get away with the age discrimination, both of not allowing children, and not allowing adults under 55?
I agree that the people whose lives changed such that they must raise their granddaughter are unable to live where they've been living, if the restriction is legal and was in place when they bought

Old 04-20-2008, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,041 times
Default Resident-owned 55+ community

I live in a 55+ mhp co-op in St Petersburg, Fl. It is a lifestyle I have enjoyed for over 4 years. There is a website at [url=http://www.residentownedcommunities.com]Home[/url] that lists the urls of many such parks in Florida and elsewhere. Mike

Old 04-21-2008, 05:41 PM

7 posts, read 15,943 times
Default Finding the Right Retirement Community

Looks like you have had some great advice. I hope what I have to say may be of use to you.

The popularity of age restricted communities has increased significantly over the past several years, as you probably know. That being said, you can find a suitable age specific community just about anywhere you would like throughout the United States and internationally.

With the vast array of possibilities, I recommend first narrowing down your options through a process I call “Self Assessment.” This should be a deliberate sit down look into you and your wife’s likes, wants, and must haves in a new retirement location. Once this is narrowed down, you will be surprised how “geographically specific” your search will become. The categories include:
  • Age and how it correlates with your ideal location
  • Health proximity to care facilities, type of care, allergies, family history
  • Current location Your must haves, and must avoids
  • Rural, Suburban, or City population, crime, pollution, lifestyle
  • Climate one to four seasons, tropical, desert, beach, mountainous and more
  • Religious is religion a governing factor in your decision making process
  • Family close or long distance; frequent or occasional visits
  • Retail Conveniences proximity of shopping, entertainment, dining
  • Social and Recreational clubs, organizations, volunteerism, like-minded people
  • Hobbies availability of resources to pursue your personal interests
  • Favorite Vacation spot is it as fun to live year round, or visit periodically
  • Primary or Secondary residence will this be your main base of operation
  • Financial affordability as it relates to your lifestyle goals
  • Occupation continuing in your chosen profession, retire, or start a new business
  • Education returning to school, an advanced degree or continued education
I hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

Old 01-05-2009, 12:29 PM

33 posts, read 151,209 times
I like 55 + communities because I dont want the lawyers 3 teenage sons throwing a basketball on the front of my house and rattling my windows, yet doesnt bounce it off their own house and have him argue how they have every right to do whatever they please wherever they please as my mailbox is hanging off the post, that I now must replace. I dont want bicyle across the road that turns into my driveway and I have to get out of my car and remove it, and find the kid lives a block away. I dont want someone working on their car with the bass vibrating loud enough to give me a migraine.
The whole point of a 55+ is exactly that. If someone has to take in their grandchild, I applaud their kind deed but then the community is no longer 55+ is it? Then that means 10 more people decided they are going to let their teenage grandson stay with them till he find a job and so on and so on and then it becomes like every other all age community and I the fees I paid and and having made a choice to purchase a home in such a place, no longer accomadates me or anyone who CHOOSES to move into a deed restricted community. If they had something change their life then I guess that means , someone in their own family did this to them not their neighbors. No one forces anyone to move into a 55 + it is a choice they made as well when they agreed to the documents and selected a home in such a plase. To live in a place that keeps things neat and orderly, safe and filled with activities that are geared to the demographics that live there comes at a price and the homeowners pay that price to ensure their lifestyle choice and investment. I
I looked at a Lennar home, those HOA are very high, of course they have basketball courts, inline skating park, hockey rink and so on, I dont have children yet I would pay the same amount as the person next door with 4 kids, that never seemed fair to me, I wouldnt use those facilities, but all those parents who move there do so because they feel their kids benefit. There are places for everyone and everyone chooses and today you pay for the lifestyle and features that want and need.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:54 AM

26 posts, read 122,728 times
The absolute best thing about the 55+ active retirement community where I live is the people who live here. We have made more close friend here in three years than the rest of lives. Pot luck dinners, wine tasting groups, travel group, suppport our troops group, and many more than I can cover here.

The amenities are first class, clubhouse, fitness center, arts crafts technology center, golf course, grill.

Interestly, at least 75% of the people living here are here because they have children and grandchildren living in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

If you are not active and want to join in the activities, this is probably not the place for you. Homes here cost about 30% more than the surrounding area. You pretty much get what you pay for. If you are not sure this is the place for you, then lease a home for six months and find out.

If you looking for a active, fun place to retire, come join the wonderful people of Robson Ranch in Denton.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:59 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
We live across the street from the Trilogy/Vistancia in Peoria AZ, and dream of the day we can move over there. The amenities are close to a luxury resort and if you like golf, there is a beautiful golf course and restaurant. You can go to My Trilogy Life - Welcome to see some of the homes they have. The prices have been lowered recently, but not the quality. Best of luck in your search.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:41 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
The two things that we took into consideration when buying in our 55+ community were:

we did not WANT to be in a gold community, because we do not golf. We know it is wonderful for those that do, but we were lucky that the one that is built here has LOTS of other amenities that do not include the upkeep of a golf course (however, I understand they have a deal worked out with a course very close for those that are interested). Make sure your community HAS the things you find important available vs those that "look nice" but you would not take advantage of.

The other thing is ours has both indoor and outdoor swimming...important to DH and I.
All NECESSARY shopping is less than 2 miles from the house (Super Target, Lowes, a variety of everything else from nail salons to eating establishments) AND we get access to the builders kiddie pool waterpark in the subdivision just 1 mile from ours. Same builder, but since we are age restricted, we get use of that when the kiddos come to visit.

Of course, going from 3000 sq ft to 1800 will be a tight squeeze when all the kids come to visit at one, but with them all being in the military scattered to the 4 corners of the world, that happens that they all come at the same time so seldom anymore. We will be HAPPY to be cramped when it means everyone here at the same time!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:36 AM

481 posts, read 806,637 times
I would rather live in a college town. You will always have cultural events at a good price to enjoy. My first choice would be Davis, CA where there are miles of safe bicycle trails and lots to do.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 15,492 times
Shorecliffs Terrace in San Clemente, California offers something for every retiree. A golf course meanders through our community; the beach is 1.5 miles away; boating and deep sea fishing is 5 miles; parks with tennis courts are everywhere; a recently opened walking path hugs the ocean. Our Southern California mild climate brings out joggers and bikers year-round. Our residents are super active with monthly pancake breakfasts, special events like a Luau, an Octoberfest, Halloween, Christmas, New Years and, almost every other holiday, parties. Or you can just relax by the pool, soak in the hot tub with a book from our library, play pool in our billiards room, workout in the exercise room or try your hand at cabinet making in our woodshop. There is also Bingo once a week and a myriad of clubs to join. Come visit and see why our residents say "We live in the best place in California."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement