Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:42 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times

Advertisements

Do most people when picking retirement locations consider whether or not the state has an income tax. I have a federal pension but I am not old enough yet for social security. So I would assume I would not get a deduction age wise at tax time until I was of age.

I have found information on this subject, but really not enough to get a complete picture of how one is taxed state to state. Is it really that much of a tax burden on a pension from state to state when there is an income tax?

For anyone that receives a retirement and relocated. Was the lack of an income tax part of the criteria for where you retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 05:13 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Do most people when picking retirement locations consider whether or not the state has an income tax. I have a federal pension but I am not old enough yet for social security. So I would assume I would not get a deduction age wise at tax time until I was of age.

I have found information on this subject, but really not enough to get a complete picture of how one is taxed state to state. Is it really that much of a tax burden on a pension from state to state when there is an income tax?

For anyone that receives a retirement and relocated. Was the lack of an income tax part of the criteria for where you retired.
nope~ and my retirement is taxed where I am!

Old 03-10-2009, 05:45 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
It's definitely a consideration, but only one factor out of many... for example: real estate tax rate, personal property tax, sales tax rate, over-all cost of living, real estate prices, crime rate, climate, walkability, recreation areas, etc. etc.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:48 PM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
A number of my friends have retired and moved from MD to PA. MD taxes pensions/retired pay, PA does not.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
My son got out of the Navy after 20 years and stated he would never move to a state that taxed his Navy retirement pay.

He, thus, did not move back to Minnesota where all his ( and his wife's) relatives are from, but moved to SE Michigan.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
I bought a book about tax heavens and hells, which analyzes the total tax burden all over the country for different house values and income. They are all over the place and it really takes some digging to find out all the areas they will bleed you dry.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:01 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Thanks for all the inputs. No tax on my pension is definitely part of my criteria for my retirement location. I found with the popular sunbelt states Fla, Tenn, Texas are the only ones that don't have income tax so that is safe there. The rest of the southern states except Ala tax pensions. In the west Colorado gives a nice exemption on most of the pension. California, Arizona and New Mexico tax it. Its no wonder besides the warm weather in Florida, no income tax has been a draw to that state for decades now. I know the migration by retirees to Fla has slow downed some, but Im sure for some no tax is still part of the draw.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
I definately considered state tax on IRA withdrawals when choosing a retirement location.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:29 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
you have to look at all taxes to really tell. some states like florida have a reputation of having no state tax but when all is said and done they seem to be right in there with the higher tax states as everything else they can get to gets taxed

Old 03-11-2009, 05:24 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Personally, taxes will be a consideration in where we move, assuming the market recovers and we can sell the house we're in!

When I first started planning for retirement, I think I concentrated too much on income tax and not enough on the total tax burden. It's really important to look at the big picture.

Generally speaking, there are two types of states where you can avoid state income tax on your federal pension. The first type is a state that has no state income tax, and the second type is a state that does not tax your federal pension. We're looking to retire to the northeast (can't stand the heat, and I'm originally from Boston). New Hampshire doesn't have a state income tax (for the most part), but New York and Massachusetts don't tax federal annuities. It's possible that we would do better in NY or MA than we would in NH, since to make up some of the money they lose in state income tax, NH generally has high property tax.

A good source of information about taxes for retirees is the Retirement Living Information Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement