Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Alas, so true...as I perused the real estate listings for New Castle I cringed at the proportionately high property taxes (my nemesis) and saw mostly two-story frame houses that I could imagine cold winds whistling thru...and the furnaces pumping away....so I think that's not an answer for me.

How, in your estimation, would an easterner like me get up the gumption to check out Colo?? It's like OMG it's soooo far away.
That is all the problems with all those beautiful small older towns. They all have old cheap housing that need smodern insulation, windows, electric wiring, plumbing and yet they all have expensive taxes. Cities and towns give rebates to companies who move by forgiving a number of year's taxes. If these small towns want people to populated their area, perhaps they should give big rebates on taxes, and even turn over a home that has been seized for taxes.

Small Kansas towns are trying to attract residents. They do give away the land and rebate some taxes for people to built a home and settle in the town. Home

I do not totally believe that it is a good idea to resettle in a new area for retirement. If one has spend their whole lives in an area. The Familiarity, Friends, Family, Food, and Feel of the area means more as you are old. Oh, I just made this up: the five "Fs" of retirement.

You could move for health reasons. You could move to be closer to family or children. You could move back where you lived longest or were raised, and it was for the "5F", ah, another invention.

I grew up in Western New York where many people moved to Florida for better weather. This does not work as well for all people and they are disappointed, especially when they leave the 5F behind. You can move for economic reasons but are they enough to make up for the 5F. You could move for exploration, a renewal, a sense of discovery, a change; but that is usually the case for the people who have no 5F concerns.

Sometimes we move to retire and create a new 5F; or we delude ourselves in believing that we have create the 5F, because we need to justify our move.

Some of us stay put, because it is the end of the line and we no more energy to pursue the dreams; we lost interest in the 5F, or we come to the realization that as we chase the "cheese", in the maze, it moves. and there will be no contentment.

So should you visit Colorado--perhaps, if you choose. Should you move??? That depends on the 5F of the place.

For me, I have found the 5F of my place, and I
Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 11:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
... If these small towns want people to populated their area, perhaps they should give big rebates on taxes, and even turn over a home that has been seized for taxes.

Small Kansas towns are trying to attract residents. They do give away the land and rebate some taxes for people to built a home and settle in the town. Home

a big problem for retirees and the free land deal, Is that most towns offering that require you to add population to their public schools, and taxes are key, as they also require a minimum $$ (Usually $100k+) investment in home using local contractors. (Not DYI). I subcontracted and built my last one for under $50/ sf, no more mansions for me! But the irony, is that there are often plenty of homes for sale in these towns in the $50k range.

I prefer WY to KS for senior tax burden. Chugwater was offering free land too. (ND, SD, NE also have free land)

I would gladly choose Colorado; as after 27yrs away, I find 4 of my 5F's are more prevalent there than the PNW. Currently lov'n those $69 SWA fares PDX>DEN. But I don't know that I can deal with the NEW population burden on all my old haunts from the 60's. recreation was great and not crowded and no NATIVE thumpers in SUV's pushing you around . I suppose there are still good spots out on the plains (LaJunta, Holyoke, Haxtun, Peetz, Hereford, Grover...) You can bet the homes would be inexpensive there, and folks welcome to see a stranger drop in!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:49 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
... I suppose there are still good spots out on the plains (LaJunta, Holyoke, Haxtun, Peetz, Hereford, Grover...) You can bet the homes would be inexpensive there, and folks welcome to see a stranger drop in!
That is interesting about all the other free land state. I was not aware of it. Yes, you are right, they would require some investment. Actually, I think they prefer families with children, to grow the area and keep the schools open.

Yes, the towns on the Eastern Plains of Colorado are very nice. I have spend some time touring these areas and it is awe inspiring to see the expanse of the grasslands. However, the have some problems that would prevent me from living there. They lack good extensive health care facilities within a reasonable distance, and there is very little public transportation. The winters can be brutal when you move farther out from the protection of the Rockies and Tornadoes, which rarely form along the foothills, form easily on the far eastern plains.

I do not like to drive and I want to move to a car free lifestyle. That option is only possible in a larger city with a good public transit, like Denver. Of course the Denver metro can provide excellent health care.

I really think it is cheaper and easier to live in the Denver Metro area. If you do not own car, then you save a big expense. I rarely drive now, about 2500 miles a year. Bus system is good; rail is expanding so I will stay where I am. In addition, because I am disabled, I can get picked up, with a day before reservation, by a paratransit van for $4,00, or if I feel I can walk that day, I can take any bus or train for free. I also get discounts on cab fare. Those are big benefits.

There is many low cost housing options in the area. The city of Denver is very safe, clean, progressive with an extensive amount of parks and open space.. I am not in a market for a house because I have a small ranch, mortgage free, and not too old. I bought it new in 1986.My problem is the upkeep is becoming more of a chore. Utilities and Taxes are not a problem; it is just general work because of my physical limitations. Perhaps I will hire some help.

My next housing, when the time comes, would probably be to rent in a senior only residence. I have been looking all the type of styles. I can get into a small apartment or studio, 500-650 square feet and that is all I need. Rent would be about $400-550 a month. I am talking about rent controlled subsidized housing.I do not need anything luxurious; just a small place on a bus route, in a nice walkable neighborhood with basic stores.

So, I really do not have much to complain about. I really like the Denver area, and I am very comfortable and have my 5F. I just live peacefully from day to day and I
livecontent

Old 06-03-2009, 04:02 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
I prefer the small town life though not car free, it would be minimally used. I've got the town picked out and made many cd friends that the DH and I will visit when we are up in September.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:34 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I prefer the small town life though not car free, it would be minimally used. I've got the town picked out and made many cd friends that the DH and I will visit when we are up in September.
Dramamama,

Remind us which town....? (I can't find your old posts)

Also, what is "the DH"---Divorced husband? Dear husband? Someone's initials?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
That is all the problems with all those beautiful small older towns. They all have old cheap housing that need smodern insulation, windows, electric wiring, plumbing and yet they all have expensive taxes. Cities and towns give rebates to companies who move by forgiving a number of year's taxes. If these small towns want people to populated their area, perhaps they should give big rebates on taxes, and even turn over a home that has been seized for taxes.

I do not totally believe that it is a good idea to resettle in a new area for retirement. If one has spend their whole lives in an area. The Familiarity, Friends, Family, Food, and Feel of the area means more as you are old. Oh, I just made this up: the five "Fs" of retirement.

You could move for health reasons. You could move to be closer to family or children. You could move back where you lived longest or were raised, and it was for the "5F", ah, another invention.

I grew up in Western New York where many people moved to Florida for better weather. This does not work as well for all people and they are disappointed, especially when they leave the 5F behind. You can move for economic reasons but are they enough to make up for the 5F. You could move for exploration, a renewal, a sense of discovery, a change; but that is usually the case for the people who have no 5F concerns.

Sometimes we move to retire and create a new 5F; or we delude ourselves in believing that we have create the 5F, because we need to justify our move.

Some of us stay put, because it is the end of the line and we no more energy to pursue the dreams; we lost interest in the 5F, or we come to the realization that as we chase the "cheese", in the maze, it moves. and there will be no contentment.

So should you visit Colorado--perhaps, if you choose. Should you move??? That depends on the 5F of the place.

For me, I have found the 5F of my place, and I
Livecontent
LiveContent, this is one of your more brilliant posts. You certainly have hit the nail on the head. Also to take into consideration is that TIMING in life is something we cannot ignore...what I would have done 15 or 20 yrs ago easily and readily and with a sense of adventure I having a hard time with at age 60. Heck, you can see the end of the tunnel from here (the light, that is ) and you have to ask, why am I moving so far away from what is familiar, from family and friends, etc. Even for a "new start." Seems the folks I've known who have retired very far away from friends and family had the easy means to fly back anytime. They were seeking a sunbelt of sorts. But then there are those of us who DO NOT want to leave where they are living now, do not want to leave friends and family and familiarty, but are genuinely worried about rising COL and think well, maybe I ought to retire somehwere cheap so I'll never be on the street....and I'll make new friends and the family can come to ME for once!
You are unique in that you have living parents close by and have totally acclimated yourself to the culture of your place. I can see how you live content, and you definitely work at maintaining that contentment. Every older person needs your good fortune and outlook!!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
a big problem for retirees and the free land deal, Is that most towns offering that require you to add population to their public schools, and taxes are key, as they also require a minimum $$ (Usually $100k+) investment in home using local contractors. (Not DYI). I subcontracted and built my last one for under $50/ sf, no more mansions for me! But the irony, is that there are often plenty of homes for sale in these towns in the $50k range.

I prefer WY to KS for senior tax burden. Chugwater was offering free land too. (ND, SD, NE also have free land)

I would gladly choose Colorado; as after 27yrs away, I find 4 of my 5F's are more prevalent there than the PNW. Currently lov'n those $69 SWA fares PDX>DEN. But I don't know that I can deal with the NEW population burden on all my old haunts from the 60's. recreation was great and not crowded and no NATIVE thumpers in SUV's pushing you around . I suppose there are still good spots out on the plains (LaJunta, Holyoke, Haxtun, Peetz, Hereford, Grover...) You can bet the homes would be inexpensive there, and folks welcome to see a stranger drop in!

But SR...What's a $69 SWA fare to 12 grand in property taxes??? I know you probably love where you are, but if you have 4 of your 5 F's in Colo, have you considered it??

Old 06-03-2009, 07:24 AM

Altho I've been on several threads for months, I don't understand how CD works. I guess it's time I found out.

1. What's a reputation? How does one get one? Is a higher number better or worse? Why does one need one?

2. What's Edit Status? You edit your own status? Why?

3. What about online security

4. What is a monitor? Does s/he actually read every post and monitor it according to rules?

5. If you start a thread, are you supposed to be the monitor?

6. Is there any way to delete any of your own posts permanently?

Thanks anyone for some info!

Last edited by RiverBird; 06-03-2009 at 07:32 AM..

Old 06-03-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
But SR...What's a $69 SWA fare to 12 grand in property taxes??? I know you probably love where you are, but if you have 4 of your 5 F's in Colo, have you considered it??
The $69 fare = 2 days property tax obligation is an interesting dilema, as I live VERY cheap excluding those taxes, and prying $69 out of my fist is tough these days.

I definately don't love where I'm at, and the $12k property taxes blossomed in the last few years, now I'm a bit stuck and prop values have really tanked. I would get ~ 50% of my assessed value if I sold today (if I could... which is unlikely, many empty places not moving @ 50% off). I am not really prepared to take that big of a hit, even tho I would be buying lower. Between that and the investment hammering I would be giving up about 30% of my total Net Worth. Very little investment time to recover that! Not sure what to do about this...(Too expensive to stay, big hit if leaving). I will run the numbers, but.... I'll just bet it is wiser to stay and pay the taxes till the RE market gets rid of excess inventory, tho it will probably never 'recover'. ( How much tax can I pay instead of taking $XX0,000.00 less for my home, maybe 20-30 yrs)... I have a VERY desirable place, so it is not too smart to 'fire-sale'. (20 min from city, but in Columbia Gorge national scenic area) http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/for...s05low-res.pdf (I can see this place on the cover view while sitting here at my computer; all of places on page 4 are within a few minutes of home + many more great 'unpublished' spots) 100+ " of rain / yr (In the form of drizzle) is NOT fun for me... A Prairie kid

Colo is nice, but a BIG F (family / kids / potential grandkids) are PNW. Small F (Very good friends) are Colo. There are also some benefits to being near the coast and a direct international airport. Driving to DEN is like going 1/2 way to Kansas, then you have to fly to SFO, ORD, JFK, ATL, DFW, LAX... to 'get-out-of-Dodge'.

Tough choices for us all.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-03-2009 at 12:44 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 12:31 PM

get most info here
http://www.city-data.com/forum/about-forum/

Quote:
Altho I've been on several threads for months, I don't understand how CD works. I guess it's time I found out. (Took me awhile also, and still learning)

1. What's a reputation? How does one get one? Is a higher number better or worse? Why does one need one? No need for rep, it comes by 'readers' clicking the 'recommend' LL or the 'image of scale balance' UR(can add rep comment)

2. What's Edit Status? You edit your own status? Why? in 'My Settings' UL

3. What about online security This is a bit dangerous on C-D (strong search exposure)

4. What is a monitor? Does s/he actually read every post and monitor it according to rules? Moderator is a user who was recommended to be one & who 'keeps peace' on the forum (can edit / delete)

5. If you start a thread, are you supposed to be the monitor? No

6. Is there any way to delete any of your own posts permanently? Moderator can do that

Thanks anyone for some info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement