Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:21 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,667,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and mention something that some of you might think is a bit strange. About six years ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. The doctor prescribed BP pills. They made me very sick. So she prescribed another brand and another. All of them disagreed with me.

I posted my problem on a message board to which I used to belong and got a reply from a woman who worked for a natropath. She recommended something called Mukta Vati. It consists of a combination of herbs from India and can be gotten only over the Internet. She said it worked remarkably well and no one her natropath prescribed it for ever had adverse reactions to it.

Skpetic that I am, I immediately thought "snake-oil." But then figured it was worth a try. Diet wasn't helping and the prescriptions made me ill so I thought I would give it a try. I ordered some and within three or four days my BP went to normal. As time went by I was able to reduce the dosage.

One thing I discovered is that BP is not stagnant. If I begin to feel a bit dizzy it means my BP is too low. During times of stress it may rise too high. I have a small machine to monitor my BP and can adjust the number of tablets I take accordingly. I like having that control.

I've been doing this for about six years now and it works like a charm. Everytime I get my BP taken in a doctor's office, they comment on how good it is. When I tell them what I take for it, they just shake their heads but one can't argue with success.

If anyone is interested in Mukta Vati you can just Google the name and you will find websites that talk about it and sell it. Some look like they are selling snake oil but believe me this stuff works for me and to everyone I've recommended it. One word of caution though, the FDA is trying to ban it's importation because they haven't studied it. Like that ever made a difference on a lot of the stuff they have approved. But there you are.
Thank your for your advise. I will have to pass a physical exam when I get ready to go back to work, becaus most employeers offer 2 x salary as life insurance which is abour 120K. I will be concerned when I have to go back to work next year as I have White Coat Syndrome and my blood pressure will measure much higher than it should which will prevent me from getting a job. I will follow you advice for a few months prior to looking for work and see if it works. Thank YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:33 PM

50,384 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Don't sweat it. If you must have something wrong with you, this is not so bad...even though it IS important to treat. There are many generic drugs out there to control high blood pressure with no adverse results. If one does not agree with you, another will.
Since you say you do not use a lot of salt, limiting it may not make a difference. As others have said, a home wrist monitor will determine if you truly have a problem, or just anxiety at the doctor's office. If you are not overweight, eat healthy, etc. you may just have picked the wrong ancestors. Get the drug your doctor recommends and take it every day. Easy, breezy. If this is the only health issue you have, count your blessings.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:40 AM

70 posts, read 263,266 times
Thank you, gentlearts for the down to earth advice. I just retired from a stressful job so I will wait a little while before I go back to the drs. office. Both my parents are on high blood pressure meds. so this may be my destiny.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrab View Post
Thank you, gentlearts for the down to earth advice. I just retired from a stressful job so I will wait a little while before I go back to the drs. office. Both my parents are on high blood pressure meds. so this may be my destiny.
You are correct. High blood pressure does run in families. My father died at age 65 of a brain hemmorage and my mother died at age 71 of a heart attack. Neither of them ever took medication for their condition, although they were both aware of it. I have tried to treat the condition, but cannot tolerate the medication, so I have altered my lyfestyle, my diet and quit my high stress job and have finally reached my goal. I will certainly be more poor, but also more rich.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:09 AM

70 posts, read 263,266 times
Good for you, yukiko11!! What lifestyle and diet changes have you made? I too left my high stress job as soon as I was eligible for a full pension. Staying another year would only add $100/month. All the money in the world cannot buy good health!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:29 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,240,110 times
I had high blood pressure for 25 years in spite of all kinds of meds and it got even higher the last few months I worked....I, too, was in education (counselor, emotionally disturbed kids....no stress there, huh). Within 6 months of retirement my bp was normal and I came off all meds.....recently, tho, my doctor insisted I go on two kinds of bp meds ....just baby doses - no side effects at all ....to protect my heart because of some issues I'd had in the past and because of family history. I wasn't happy about it, but am doing it - preventative medication is a heckuva lot better than trying to fix something after it's broken. Don't fight it!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrab View Post
Good for you, yukiko11!! What lifestyle and diet changes have you made? I too left my high stress job as soon as I was eligible for a full pension. Staying another year would only add $100/month. All the money in the world cannot buy good health!
You made the right decision. I had been saving for many years to take some time off from my high stress job and after three people who were younger than me and in considerably in better condition dropped dead of a heart attack in the workplace, I decided, I didn't want to be a statistic. I have 10 months to go and I would rather sell my home and go back to work as a greeter at Wal Mart than continue in my Accounting career. There comes a time when quality of life is more important than money.
Diet effects everyone differently, but this is what I have eliminated from my personal diet.
Salt, Soda,alcohol, pork, ham, sausage, lunch meat, cheese, potato chips and other crispy snacks. Canned soups, frozen dinners and fried chicken that I don't make myself.
What I have substituted
Flavors of lemon, parsley, garlic, cilantro, cumin and cayenne pepper. I drink water, Crystal light or a mixture of 1/3 fruit juice and 2/3 water to keep up my sugar level when I am active..
Snacks of baked corn tortillas, with homemade salsa (Diced canned tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, diced onion or chopped green onion, lime juice or lemon juice canned green chilies)which is also good on baked potatoes, veggies or poured over chicken and baked.
What I do that I shouldn't but enjoy once in a while like once a month
A slice of pizza, a cheeseburger. a chile relleno, a hot dog, a bottle of Sierra Mist, a couple of shots of whiskey, a glass of white wine.
If you concentrate on the good things, you can tolerate the not so good things in moderation and they won't hurt you.
Just don't have them all in the same day LOL
Also, I eat one meal a day for two days and fast for one day. This works for me because I am older and not as active as the average person. In the summer, when I am mowing and working in the yard, I eat more as needed.
For me, salt is the biggest enemy. That is not true for everyone. You need to experiment and see what makes you feel good.

Last edited by yukiko11; 06-25-2009 at 05:59 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 07:54 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,240,110 times
I cured mine......I retired from teaching.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:44 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,840 times
Default Potassium chloride (Salt Substitute) Warning

I was diagnosed (HBP) back in the mid 90's. I was scheduled for a stress test for chest pain and the doc told me before the test my BP was already so high it was as if I was running a marathon. I was on PLENDIL for many years, but be advised; a single drug will (may) become less effective over time. It seems your body WANTS to have HBP! So now I'm on LOTREL. Two different meds in one pill. One-two punch. Works great. TO EVERYONE POSTING/READING THIS THREAD: Beware of salt substitutes (get your doc's approval!!!) How serious is this issue? Most contain Potassium Chloride. Want a shocker? Google Potassium Chloride and see what it's used for. I had severe chest pains/palpitations when I used anything but the minimum amount of substitutes containing it. I no longer use any product containing it. Exercise, avoid sodium, buy a monitor (Omron is highly rated.) One last thing: Ensure the doc/tech uses an MANUAL blood pressure check on your bare arm after resting for at least five minutes. I'll go you one better: Get the Omron and create a log over a week to give to your doctor. It will be better than relying on the regular visits. Best of luck to all!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:40 AM

162 posts, read 633,567 times
For some folks, blood pressure is a lifestyle thing. For them, exercise, diet, supplements, meditation, breathing, etc, will bring it back to a healthy level.
For others, there are hereditary factors and ~all of the above~ won't make a big enough dent.

Some folks never or seldom exercise, eat everthing they please, and stress out about every little thing, yet their BP numbers are consistently 'healthy'.

Hubby's one of the latter, I'm one of the former. With lots and lots of work, I've managed - just- to avoid bp meds. Steadyand consistent exercise, healthy diet and supplements, and breathing/meditation have been my main tools.
I work but don't really have job stress (love my job!) whereas hubby is always under pressure.
Still, his bp is stellar, mine is at best borderline. It's not fair, but those are the breaks.

Right now I'm hanging in there, at best I usually come in at somewhere around 130/80, even with doing everything "just right". Eventually I'll probably have to take meds. So be it. I refuse tho to bow and cowtow to those who say it's all about the right lifestyle choices. I refuse to accept the blame and guilt card. My lifestyle choices are way way superior to hubby's. Genetics can be hard to overcome.
In a weird sort of way, it works for me that my genes fall short because as a result I have adopted all those healthy habits, and I know they'll pay off in many ways in spite of my stubborn bp numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement