Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 06:36 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Have you tried watching it lately? We just watched one in which an indian women was encountered on the trail by Hoss and Little Joe. She was about to give birth, but had a flat stomach. She had a full set of false eyelashes, mascara and eye shadow. Despite soundlessly giving birth to a totally clean baby, she remained unrumpled, without a hair out of place, and fresh as a daisy.
I could go on, but you get the idea.
I don't remember ever questioning things like this when I watched it in the old days. Were we really that gullible? I know children don't look at things the same way as adults, but it seems to me the adults in the family were fans of the show too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 07:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
It was just the standard of the time, Watch some of the movi9es made at that time to see the background was filmed separately especailly those of driving scenes. Alot of the pictures now are all animation and easily seen.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:59 AM

92 posts, read 512,243 times
A lot of the old shows that I enjoyed back in the day seem naive when I happen to watch them now.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:35 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
I bought a remastered high-def copy of Errol Flynn's Robin Hood (Captain Blood was in the set as well), and it's sort of painful. It was never meant to be seen in quite that clarity. You can see that Robin's tights have a seam and it's crooked and that the "jewels" on Maid Marian's dress are sequins.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:48 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
I kinda enjoyed seeing the zippers in the backs of the Martian headgear, in the original 1953 "Invaders from Mars"

That movie SCARED me in 1959

Old 08-21-2009, 02:32 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Loved the show..even today

Bonanza was one of my favorite shows, on when TV was just flat out better. All these programs told stories and taught lessons in a manner that transcended all these details that you speak of here.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:35 PM

251 posts, read 311,456 times
We were more of a Gunsmoke family back then but Bonanza was a great show too. Actually I watch Bonzanza frequently now to catch up on what I missed back then.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Oh I am trying hard to remember..was it on Sunday nights after Walt Disney World ?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:31 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
I am younger than most here being born in 1971 but I was able to see Bonanza on reruns as a child and loved the show. Hoss was always my favorite character and anytime I played any cowboy games with my friends I always pretended to be him. I liked him because he was a tough guy but at the same time had a big heart. He also was not afraid to admit any mistakes he had made and tried to learn from them.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:08 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
I didn't much like Bonanza when I was a child, finding it very fake, terrible acting, and hokey stories. 1960's makeup was truley awful with the very fake caked on look that was so popular and completely inappropriate for a pioneer woman. I suppose the censors went overboard with silly rules that made them think they couldn't show a swelled abdomen on a pregnant woman (at a time when nearly every woman had multiple children so it isn't as if kids never saw their mother pregnant!). I think they did a better job in the 1940's. Shows like this are illustrative of why there was such a kick back reaction in the 1970's with all the "natural" emphasis. It really did go overboard with the fake woman look in the 1960's.

I much preferred Gunsmoke too. I've been listening to old radio shows including Gunsmoke and they still are pretty good. The acting is good, the stories are good, and not ridiculous. There was about 10 years of them before the radio version stopped and about 5 years of overlap with the TV show. You can get them here for free (all in the public domain now) along with tons of other shows: Internet Archive: Free Downloads: Old Time Radio

I rather like the radio dramas. I can be doing something useful while listening to them instead of being tied to a screen. Plus, becuase they had to get you to imagine the scenes, there is often a better narrative than the visual media. Other old westerns I remember liking were Rawhide (loved the theme song for that!), Paladin - Have Gun Will Travel, Bat Masterson, and Death Valley Days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement