Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 04:16 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

nothing was funnier then when i was in puerto rico and caught bonanza on tv. hoss was talking spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 07:16 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
We had the first color tv on the block, a huge RCA in a giant cabinet. Everyone came over to watch Bonanza "in living color". Simpler times.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:47 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
The absolutely worst episode is when Hoss encountered "Leprechauns" ! How many of Little Joe's girlfriends died ? In most of the fight scenes no fist ever came any closer than 4 or 5 inches from a face ! Hop sing always got ticked off when they had to rush off without eating.
I loved the show and I think it would be nice to see the show re-done or made into a movie.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:53 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I am younger than most here being born in 1971

OMG. You are my son's age.........

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-22-2009, 08:29 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
I always said if you were female you should make sure you stayed clear of the Cartwright men. All the women that they fell in love with ended up dying.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:33 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
And how many here have been humming the theme song since finding this thread? :-)

dum dah dah dum dah dah DUM DAH!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:57 PM

874 posts, read 2,875,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I am younger than most here being born in 1971

OMG. You are my son's age.........
Yes; but believe it or not I am retired from the NYPD on disability after 15 years of working there. I had a heart attack at the ripe old age of 34 and had a stent put in to hold open two collapsed arteries. I actually did not ask to be retired but the NYPD forced me to retire on disability due to the fact that they considered the heart attack stress related due to the part of the heart that had the problem. Why? I have no idea. I did not think you can tell if a heart attack was stress related by which part of the heart was affected but they said this is the reason they must force me to retire on disability due to the fact that if I had another one they can face a law suit.

My cardiologist said it is possible but they could not tell if it had anything to do with being at the site of the 9/11 incident which I was at that day and for about three weeks after digging and doing the "bucket brigade". I know that the air quality was really bad and a number of people I was there with had legitimate lung problems due to it.

I know I am younger than most posting in the retirement thread but I am officially retired and collect a disability pension from the NYPD as well as Social Security disability benefits.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:49 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Have you tried watching it lately? We just watched one in which an indian women was encountered on the trail by Hoss and Little Joe. She was about to give birth, but had a flat stomach. She had a full set of false eyelashes, mascara and eye shadow. Despite soundlessly giving birth to a totally clean baby, she remained unrumpled, without a hair out of place, and fresh as a daisy.
I could go on, but you get the idea.
I don't remember ever questioning things like this when I watched it in the old days. Were we really that gullible? I know children don't look at things the same way as adults, but it seems to me the adults in the family were fans of the show too..
Simpler times. Better values. More civility. Less scepticism.

I miss those days!

Old 08-23-2009, 09:03 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
Wink TV zombie !

Now we have shows like Weeds, Jerry Springer, Jon Stewart and the freaking cable news programs !
I'm trying to listen to more music and trying real hard not to be a TV zombie.
Next I have to work on my City-Data forum addiction !

Old 08-23-2009, 10:43 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I loved Bonanza as a kid. I loved cowboys and horses and Western landscapes (still do!) and had a crush on Michael Landon. I learned later that he was from a town a couple of miles from me, was a short Jewish guy NOT named Michael Landon, and his mother was very crazy and used to act crazy in public.
Certainly the special effects and so on were worlds simpler than what we have now. I think adults accepted them because that's all there was, on TV or movies. Nothing to compare it to, although my father did constantly make fun of World War II movies, how clean everyone was, and how nobody ever cursed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement